2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
So Jimmy is actually pushing the Bulls FO for a trade to Cleveland now?

Cleveland is actually kind of intriguing to me. With the rumors that Lebron is going to walk after '18, if CLE was able to get a decent number of assets thrown in by sending Love to a 3rd team, and was willing to throw in their firsts in '20 and '22, that could be a haul for the Bulls. Those picks in '20 and '22 could easily be the equivalent of what Boston got back from the Nets.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 05:53 AM)
https://clutchpoints.com/luke-kennard-zach-...angelo-russell/

The Lakers are offering D'Angelo Russell for a first rounder. PLEASE tell me the Bulls are smart enough to offer 16 and then get a haul for Jimmy.

I would be all over that deal. I actually would be fine not trading Jimmy and seeing what strides Russell could make.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
Cleveland is actually kind of intriguing to me. With the rumors that Lebron is going to walk after '18, if CLE was able to get a decent number of assets thrown in by sending Love to a 3rd team, and was willing to throw in their firsts in '20 and '22, that could be a haul for the Bulls. Those picks in '20 and '22 could easily be the equivalent of what Boston got back from the Nets.

Hard for front offices to make a play for picks that far in advance.

It remains incredibly distressing to me that the front office that f***ed everything up(repeatedly), just 5 months ago traded solid assets and PICKS for Cam f***ing Payne, is now in a position to make another trade with their only real asset and try and fix this mess that they made.

Do not want. Do not want any of it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
It remains incredibly distressing to me that the front office that f***ed everything up(repeatedly), just 5 months ago traded solid assets and PICKS for Cam f***ing Payne, is now in a position to make another trade with their only real asset and try and fix this mess that they made.

I agree. I understood the logic and constraints of Hahn a lot more, so I thought if he made the switch he could execute it. But I also wanted him fired because I thought he had shown he wasn't influential enough in his position to get buy-in.

Bulls, complete opposite. I have seen nothing the last 3-4 years that has shown any sense of direction, and the constant media undercutting and confused narratives are exhausting.

But, no idea what the hell to do. We should trade JImmy, but if they do I'm afraid they will do it "on the run" and try to hold out for some bulls*** veteran who grew up in Iowa.

Nobody I'd rather want at the helm of an off season that will decide the next 5-10 years of Bulls basketball than Gar Foreman. A 1.7% ping pong ball has kept these idiots employed for 5 years longer than they should have

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
Im just not that enthusiastic about the Celtics team. I like their picks, I just think that they are using them incorrectly.

Basketball is about generational talents. Right now the Celtics (imo) are lacking that. Getting a generational talent in the draft is hard. Celtic's positioning is somewhat bad because GSW has 2 generational talents (I hate to say that about Curry, but unless he falls off a cliff he is one.) Teams that have Westbrook, Lebron etc, are closer than Celtics because they only need to figure out a way to add another super star.

If I were the Celtics Id be using my picks to trade for superstars, instead of dicking around trading down for more picks etc.

I don't disagree but I also don't think guys like Butler or George really move the needle for them (unless you can get one while still keeping at least one of the high picks). They need to go even bigger than that to move these picks. Otherwise you might as well continue to build and think long term.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Nobody I'd rather want at the helm of an off season that will decide the next 5-10 years of Bulls basketball than Gar Foreman. A 1.7% ping pong ball has kept these idiots employed for 5 years longer than they should have

Pax earned his time. Just wish he still called the shots which it seems he doesn't.

But I'm with Steve - try to get Russell, get a haul for Jimmy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
What's everyone's ideal Jimmy package?

I'd be asking Brown, #3 (Fox) and the Nets pick next year. Add salary filler.

RoLo would be great for the Cs, but I don't know if it's possible to financially add Butler, Lopez and Hayward.

You end up rebuilding around this...

Fox, Grant, Payne

Valentine, MCW

Brown, Zipser

Portis, Mirotic (no harm in keeping him at that point)

Felicio

Take BPA at #16

Then hope the Nets pick positions you for Porter/Doncic/Ayton.

Supposedly Kings love Jackson, so you could possibly turn the #3 and #16 into #5 and #10

More likely scenario is Gar stands pat and signs Iggy.

Ideal? One that includes Gar Forman.

Past that, As much young talent and high potential as possible.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)

That might be the only way he gets trade is if he publicly calls out the front office. That seems to be one way to get a ticket out of Chicago.

I can totally respect this, and have many of the same feels.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Pax earned his time. Just wish he still called the shots which it seems he doesn't.

But I'm with Steve - try to get Russell, get a haul for Jimmy.

What has Pax earned at this point? Dude has had like 5 coaches, three rebuilds, he has fought with multiple coaches both physically and through the media.

Just because he has rings on his finger doesn't mean he gets a pass. This is GarPax, not just Gar. Part and parcel

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)

Cowley reported this...but in Cowley's write-up he also said that Butler has been working hard to recruit Lowry / Kyrie (and that Kyrie might force a trade if he truly believes Lebron is opting out). A lot of various moving parts. Wade / Butler are also supposedly okay with Rondo but want the Bulls to go in another direction at PG.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
What has Pax earned at this point? Dude has had like 5 coaches, three rebuilds, he has fought with multiple coaches both physically and through the media.

Just because he has rings on his finger doesn't mean he gets a pass. This is GarPax, not just Gar. Part and parcel

Yeah I don't give Paxson credit for anything positive in his tenure. He built a middle of the road NBA-purgatory team with Kirk/Deng/Gordon that never had any chance at being a contender. Hired Vinny F'ing Del Negro as a head coach, traded Aldridge, etc. A favorable ping pong bounce made GarPax millions in salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @WojVerticalNBA Sources: As teams become aware Phil Jackson isn't ruling out possibility of trading Kristaps Porzingis, frenzy of interest is growing today.

Bet the Celtics will kick themselves if they miss out on Porzingis because they dealt the #1.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
Bet the Celtics will kick themselves if they miss out on Porzingis because they dealt the #1.

I don't understand why Boston doesn't offer up all their assets for Anthony Davis. That is what I'd be trying to do if I were Ainge.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
The rumors out there make it appear this could be one of the busiest trade splurges in a long time. Of course, the dust might settle and nothing happens. Seems like a lot of potential major shake-ups out there.

I feel like these types of rumors of mass player movement end up all being complete duds. But maybe the Warriors have broken the NBA so badly that teams are all just like screw it, lets rebuild for 5 years from now and let the Cavs, Spurs and Warriors fight this out in the meantime.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
I feel like these types of rumors of mass player movement end up all being complete duds. But maybe the Warriors have broken the NBA so badly that teams are all just like screw it, lets rebuild for 5 years from now and let the Cavs, Spurs and Warriors fight this out in the meantime.

Yeah I think the latter may be true, but I agree, it is so hard for franchises to do these trades, let alone multiple, let alone on a deadline.