2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)
I would deal any for a top 5 pick in a heart beat. He still relies a lot on midrange jumpers and isn't great around rim. But he could find his range and then be really good.

I would be very hesitant to move Lauri for anyone...albeit top 1/2 are at least a wash (if not better). Ayton / Bagley look awesome. I would probably move Dunn for a top 4 or 5, but probably not past that.

I think my favorite part about this draft class is people didn't think much of it as an nba prospect class going into the season but they have earned it by being so dominant. I'll take that over a dream class that mostly underwhelms but people believe in unlocking the talent.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 05:15 PM)
I think my favorite part about this draft class is people didn't think much of it as an nba prospect class going into the season but they have earned it by being so dominant. I'll take that over a dream class that mostly underwhelms but people believe in unlocking the talent.

This class was hyped before tipoff this year.

Regarding trading Lauri or Dunn..

Lauri I think I have off limits for now. Dunn for Doncic or Trae Young, but hesitant on Young.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:15 PM)

Bagley, Ayton, Porter, and Donic were all pretty hyped entering the season. That was part of why the Bulls decided they wanted to tank (was the lure of these 4 guys).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 04:42 PM)
Bagley, Ayton, Porter, and Donic were all pretty hyped entering the season. That was part of why the Bulls decided they wanted to tank (was the lure of these 4 guys).

I don't really think about Doncic as he's not in the NCAA and so it's not really easy to follow, and Bagley didn't reclassify until mid-August. The top 3 of the class were considered good, but the depth that has been added with sexton and young playing out of their minds has made it a really exciting draft. I know people like Bamba, but really this class for most of the summer looked like MPJ and Ayton and then not that deep after. Now MPJ may be pick #5.

That's why I like this class so much. We heard about the 2014 class forever with Wiggins and Parker. But aside from MPJ, every one of these guys that plays in the states is either living up or greatly exceeding.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:49 PM)
I don't really think about Doncic as he's not in the NCAA and so it's not really easy to follow, and Bagley didn't reclassify until mid-August. The top 3 of the class were considered good, but the depth that has been added with sexton and young playing out of their minds has made it a really exciting draft. I know people like Bamba, but really this class for most of the summer looked like MPJ and Ayton and then not that deep after. Now MPJ may be pick #5.

That's why I like this class so much. We heard about the 2014 class forever with Wiggins and Parker. But aside from MPJ, every one of these guys that plays in the states is either living up or greatly exceeding.

I agree with you that the depth was always questioned (not the high-end talent). Every year I feel that "next years" draft is ultimately overhyped a year away and often times as it gets closer, it never pans out or is even worse then the prior years draft. Every once in a while a generational draft happens and it usually wasn't something where everyone clamored that it was a "generational" draft leading into the draft.

Heck, look at the NFL. So many people said this years draft was going to be stocked with QB talent and right now, on paper, I'd argue last years draft was stronger at the top (on paper...doens't mean reality holds). No QB this year took major steps forward and most of the top ones took steps backwards (Rosen, Darnaud, Allen). That said, QB is important so just like last year (where people were originally "down" on the class, at some point, we'll see a number of guys go in the 1st round and 2 or 3 go top 7). The more the better (push the non QB talent to the Bears).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
I would deal any for a top 5 pick in a heart beat. He still relies a lot on midrange jumpers and isn't great around rim. But he could find his range and then be really good.

Dunn also makes a lot of really untimely mistakes. He'll get you a steal and a circus basket to get you back into the lead, and then the next trip he'll make a boneheaded turnover. Happened last night against Portland. He had an excellent final 3-4 minutes and then the last possession he forced a weak, fall away shot in the lane that was nearly an airball.

edit: Ha, just read this on my twitter feed:

NBA's officiating report states Kris Dunn fouled late in Bulls' loss to Trail Blazers http://trib.in/2ECZAsV via @KCJHoop

Still, wasn't a good decision/shot. He had Lopez clear on the roll.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 04:52 PM)
I agree with you that the depth was always questioned (not the high-end talent). Every year I feel that "next years" draft is ultimately overhyped a year away and often times as it gets closer, it never pans out or is even worse then the prior years draft. Every once in a while a generational draft happens and it usually wasn't something where everyone clamored that it was a "generational" draft leading into the draft.

Heck, look at the NFL. So many people said this years draft was going to be stocked with QB talent and right now, on paper, I'd argue last years draft was stronger at the top (on paper...doens't mean reality holds). No QB this year took major steps forward and most of the top ones took steps backwards (Rosen, Darnaud, Allen). That said, QB is important so just like last year (where people were originally "down" on the class, at some point, we'll see a number of guys go in the 1st round and 2 or 3 go top 7). The more the better (push the non QB talent to the Bears).

Yeah this is exactly what I mean, it's nice to see them play into the expectations of being a great class instead of just being handed it to them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)
Dunn also makes a lot of really untimely mistakes. He'll get you a steal and a circus basket to get you back into the lead, and then the next trip he'll make a boneheaded turnover. Happened last night against Portland. He had an excellent final 3-4 minutes and then the last possession he forced a weak, fall away shot in the lane that was nearly an airball.

edit: Ha, just read this on my twitter feed:

Still, wasn't a good decision/shot. He had Lopez clear on the roll.

Basketball IQ can be taught. Talent cannot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
Basketball IQ can be taught. Talent cannot.

Dunn is young and missed development time in college due to some injuries. I've seen monumental leaps forward that get me really excited. Guy is a physical specimen on the court too, as is Lauri and hopefully the other piece in our trade comes back healthy cause he too is a total athlete. Very nice starting point of a core when you add in free agent money, another draft pick and then consider existing players on the roster. I guess that is why I'm not as bummed as others are because I still think to win a championship you need a little extra luck your way and most likely need to lure a free agent. I don't believe that just tanking and picking at the top is some fast-track to long-term sustained success in the NBA. Yes, top talent is always going to be easier to acquire at the top but lots of great players are drafted outside of the top 3 as well (and it would seem like more often in recent years).

I look at it as you want to be a team whose good, with an arrow point up, and the ability to hopefully add a new talent by having flexible cap / assets who you can move. Bulls front office didn't do enough to leverage the assets it had to get the last core across the stretch (injuries, etc, and other excuses, but bottom line they didn't get it done). This team had one asset a year ago (Butler). This year it has Niko (I'm being premature but dude, he looks like a different guy out there), Lauri, Dunn, & Lavine. Now none of those guys are as good as Butler, but they all are young and developing and under fair contracts (albeit Lavine will get expensive, however, as an RFA, we can leverage some creativity). Bulls need to acquire more picks (somehow / someway) and get creative doing it but even if they ended up with the 7th or 8th pick and if it was because all those other guys played really well and continued to grow, then while our draft pick might not be as high, I think at least you have a nice core of talent you can sell potential free agents (and I recognize that is a whole seperate argument as to whether the Bulls can obtain them...but if they can't, no rebuild will work, imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)
So take this for what it is worth, but over the holidays I caught up with my buddy who is connected to someone in an NBA front office and he always gives me back some nuggets on the Bulls. Basically, he mentioned Lauri was mis-scouted / evaluated by a lot of people (major disconnect between what coaches saw working him out (which was, this is the best guy we've worked out) vs. what people could get on tape of him(questions about athleticism, ability to D, rebound, etc...maybe too "one dimensional"), but the chatter around the league is that if the draft were to happen again today, he probably goes #1. A lot of people think he's going to be a total star.

That's good to hear. I think personally Lauri will be top 5 for a redraft. I think Tatum, Ball, and maybe Mitchell (who I think is Jame Harden lite) will be ahead.

So, who's everyone's draft board for the Bulls?

I've got this order:

- Ayton

- Doncic

- Porter

- Bagley

- Bamba

- Young

- Knox

- Mikal Bridges

- Jackson

But damn, any of the top six would be great. Then the next three all have pretty great potential.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 10:07 AM)
It's tough but here's my personal order:

Young

Young

Young

Young

Young

Young

Young

You'll be pleased with this SI mock:

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/01/02/nba-mock-...impression=true

Bulls get Young at #7.

Only question is - what do you do with Dunn in that scenario? Move to a 3-guard set with Dunn-Young-LaVine?

Also, god. Doncic to Cavs in that scenario. Talk about beautiful basketball movement with him and Kyrie.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 09:13 AM)
You'll be pleased with this SI mock:

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/01/02/nba-mock-...impression=true

Bulls get Young at #7.

Only question is - what do you do with Dunn in that scenario? Move to a 3-guard set with Dunn-Young-LaVine?

Also, god. Doncic to Cavs in that scenario. Talk about beautiful basketball movement with him and Kyrie.

Got some bad news for you about Kyrie.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:56 AM)
So, who's everyone's draft board for the Bulls?

I've got this order:

- Ayton

- Doncic

- Porter

- Bagley

- Bamba

- Young

- Knox

- Mikal Bridges

- Jackson

But damn, any of the top six would be great. Then the next three all have pretty great potential.

Doncic over Bagley? You must be crazy. That would get a GM fired. Even if Doncic maxes out he's no better than Manu at his peak. And that's a hell of a player. But you're not sniffing a title with him as your centerpiece.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 05:49 PM)
Doncic over Bagley? You must be crazy. That would get a GM fired. Even if Doncic maxes out he's no better than Manu at his peak. And that's a hell of a player. But you're not sniffing a title with him as your centerpiece.

Only reason is I'd have them all pretty neck-and-neck and don't know if Bagley/Markk pair well.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:58 PM)
Only reason is I'd have them all pretty neck-and-neck and don't know if Bagley/Markk pair well.

Well, i can live with that. I thought you were saying Doncic was a better prospect. At least i hope that's not what you're saying. Lol. Before porter got hurt he, Bagley and Ayton were the clear 3 best prospects in this upcoming class. Now replace Bamba with porter and you have your top 3. doncic? No way.

Doncic is the goods. I actually think he would maximize Markkanen's potential the best. Ayton is and has been my favorite prospect in this draft after MPJ went down. Athough Trae Young is quickly closing that gap. Another guy who makes me moist being paired with the Fin and would probably go top 3-5 right now. Just dunno if he's ideal with Dunn already here and I don't like Dunn at the 2.

Edited by SoxAce

I'd stay far from Bagley.

In terms of on the court accomplishments, being the best player on the 31st best team in the world (one that would route any college team by 30) is incredible for Doncic and quite frankly more impressive than any performance in college this year aside from Young. It's funny that some want to cut him down because he's out of sight and out of mind playing overseas.