2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Props to the Bulls and their FO for putting together the Mom's trip. I know some teams in the NHL do it (Blackhawks of course were one of the firsts to do it) but being the first NBA team to do that (and judging by their snapchats, players LOVED it) I can see other teams copying it. Just a fantastic idea.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:51 PM)
Props to the Bulls and their FO for putting together the Mom's trip. I know some teams in the NHL do it (Blackhawks of course were one of the firsts to do it) but being the first NBA team to do that (and judging by their snapchats, players LOVED it) I can see other teams copying it. Just a fantastic idea.

The notes on this from the athletic were great. Sounded like a fun experience.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 13, 2018 -> 05:25 PM)
Kinda sad that we'll miss out on trae young

Not guaranteed, but most likely. Remember, Bulls only had a 1.6% chance of jumping into the top 3 when they got Rose. Could lightning strike twice? The only way that they have a zero chance of getting a top 3 is if they make the playoffs. At this point, any jump into the top 3 is an awesome stroke of luck, even if they don't win by getting 1OA.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2018 -> 05:35 PM)
Let's see what happens at deadline.

Doesn't matter. These idiots keep winning too many games. We'll miss out on Bagley, Ayton, Bamba and Young. But hey, build that winning culture. Because, um, yeah, there is no reason for that right now. This has 2003 written all over it. Sorry ass team but won too many games to have a chance at Lebron, Wade, Melo or Bosh. This f***in' franchise can't do a god damn thing right since Michael left.

Edited by Jordan4life

If Bulls are able to land a Doncic, I’m okay with how the lottery played out. Obviously I’d like one of the top 3 guys but I don’t see it happening (without pure lottery lock) and Doncic is still a really good talent. I think the Bulls front office ultimately is coming to the realization the rebuild might be ahead as scheduled (and might not have hit the full low’s it probably expected (I won’t comment on whether that is good or bad but it is likely the reality) which means that free agency probably becomes a key part of the story going forward (as soon as this off-season) where previously it was probably another off-season away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
If Bulls are able to land a Doncic, I’m okay with how the lottery played out. Obviously I’d like one of the top 3 guys but I don’t see it happening (without pure lottery lock) and Doncic is still a really good talent. I think the Bulls front office ultimately is coming to the realization the rebuild might be ahead as scheduled (and might not have hit the full low’s it probably expected (I won’t comment on whether that is good or bad but it is likely the reality) which means that free agency probably becomes a key part of the story going forward (as soon as this off-season) where previously it was probably another off-season away.

If they have any competence at all they should have realized last summer how well set up they were for Free Agency this year. That was the end result of the Butler trade - they have room to add a max deal in a year when very few teams have room to add a max deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:28 AM)
Doesn't matter. These idiots keep winning too many games. We'll miss out on Bagley, Ayton, Bamba and Young. But hey, build that winning culture. Because, um, yeah, there is no reason for that right now. This has 2003 written all over it. Sorry ass team but won too many games to have a chance at Lebron, Wade, Melo or Bosh. This f***in' franchise can't do a god damn thing right since Michael left.

So would it be better that Lauri & Dunn just sucked? Cause a lot of the winning has been because of those two guys getting good very fast. Both could profile out as all-star type players and Lavine has a similar shot. Could be none of them reach that point, but having 3 guys under 24 who profile out in that nature is not a bad thing.

I have to think they move Lopez and Niko soon, albeit I still argue with this team getting good sooner then expected (I want a good pick in this years draft but will leave with a slightly lesser pick with it driven by strong growth in our youth) and with that the front office needs to evaluate how it intends to build out the team long-term (since that strategy has likely shifted by how quick the team bounced back up).

I guess I’m the only one not totally shocked by this since I made comments to the fact that if this team was healthy all season it would be a playoff team in the east. Lavine & Niko’s injuries helped create the deep hole that will enable this team to be a lottery team and ultimately get a top 8 pick, but top 3-4 probably is going to have a lot of luck involved.

My question is, if we move Niko, do we think we stop winning at this pace or does Lavine counter the loss of Niko (albeit I’d expect some rust / tranisition) and thus even moving Niko isn’t enough. Personally I think the Bulls should be calculated in who they move to facilitate the better draft pick (without negatively impacting the overall culture or implying to the team...we don’t want you to win, etc). Rolo seems like a guy who should be moved (but damn if he isn’t a great guy in the Locke room, etc). You need to be careful that you don’t turn into the cancer that is the Lakers (for example) or even the Sixers (might be looking good now but in no way would I call how long they sucked a good path / strategy).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 08:58 AM)
If they have any competence at all they should have realized last summer how well set up they were for Free Agency this year. That was the end result of the Butler trade - they have room to add a max deal in a year when very few teams have room to add a max deal.

To be honest, I think they realize they had free agency capacity but I get a feel they thought they would be getting a top 3 pick this year and probably a top 5 pick the following year and because of that I think they were going to be very measured in free agency this year (because the reality is, they thought the team would largely suck (yes it would add a top talent in this years draft and get another year of Dunn / Lavine) but I don’t think any of them thought Dunn & Lauri would be this good (or at a minimum, this good this fast).

If you look at history, good free agents don’t sign with teams with bad records (or worse records then the team they are coming from). The only exception to that in recent history is Lebron returning to Cleveland. However, based upon the current trajectory, I’d argue this Bulls team could actually be a relatively attractive destination for a free agent, albeit part of that will be seeing continued growth of Lauri / Dunn as well as seeing how Lavine holds up.

The separate part of this question is how do you evaluate Niko. I know a lot of people say Niko is going to get expensive in 2 years and you wouldn’t want to pay him, but I’d argue 2 years from now (when that happens) we are probably done being able to add any “max” type player. We basically have this year and next year’s free agency to add 2 max guys before we will largely be who we are (from a cap perspective...and this is dependent on how you manage that flexibility, but internal guys like Dunn / Lavine getting their money will quickly shrink our ability to make external FA moves).

The reality is we have went from a team with 1 major asset a year ago (Butler) to a team with Dunn / Lauri / Lavine / (This yr/s 1st) and you could argue Niko (because he really has been damn good now for a more extended period of time). It seems Niko is on his way out (either way) but I’d still argue I might try moving Lopez to see if that hurts the tank enough that you can keep Niko and add another FA move (you’ll get a lot better a lot quicker, imo)...unless you just don’t see Niko fitting on this roster.

My view is you can’t just “dump” Niko because when you look at his contract (short yes) and his stark improvement in play (which I would argue matches his physical abilities as historically he had underachieved), you have a guy that you should be able to get a real asset for. We’ll know soon enough with Niko as it sure seems like he is gone in the next few days (if not today).

I would find it disappointing if Niko was moved without a late first round quality return right now. He could be a difference maker to a team that is in the 1-5 range in the playoff seeding. Those guys should be sitting there with late round picks available, and even though the Warriors look tough, it doesn't look like the same sort of "It's the Warriors and the Cavs and no one else matters" setup that we saw the last 2 years, where teams 3-5 couldn't convince themselves they had any chance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
My question is, if we move Niko, do we think we stop winning at this pace or does Lavine counter the loss of Niko (albeit I’d expect some rust / tranisition) and thus even moving Niko isn’t enough. Personally I think the Bulls should be calculated in who they move to facilitate the better draft pick (without negatively impacting the overall culture or implying to the team...we don’t want you to win, etc). Rolo seems like a guy who should be moved (but damn if he isn’t a great guy in the Locke room, etc). You need to be careful that you don’t turn into the cancer that is the Lakers (for example) or even the Sixers (might be looking good now but in no way would I call how long they sucked a good path / strategy).

If we move Niko, Portis and Holiday and are still winning games, I would have absolutely no problem with it. In fact, it really gives more optimism that the rebuild could be fast tracked with a high lottery pick and some FA signing.

But as the GM, Gar absolutely have to trade away assets that has value but do not belong to our long term picture. If we do not do that, I would consider it a failure on his part.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 04:43 PM)
Bulls are annoying

Yes, seems they may have hit a home run in the Butler deal. They are skirting really close to dropping out of the top 10. Out of non-Playoff teams, only Philly, the Clippers and the Knicks have more wins than the Bulls at 17. They are tied in the win column with the Jazz and Hornets. I don't think they're going to have even a top 10 pick. You have to wonder what is going through the minds of GarPax right now.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 05:13 PM)
DAMN Lavine has 18-5-5 in 20 MINUtES

And this is a big reason why the tank is officially OVER. Also, nobody thought Lauri would be this good this fast & Dunn looks like a competent starting PG. This won't be a big deal if Lauri & Lavine become stars.

Just two games but man Lavine hasd a shot and he can flat out score. I really hope he stays healthy and can keep improving. Hell with what you all think, I think we got a darn nice core going right now. This team has been quite enjoyable to watch.