2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

I'm interested in seeing what Cleveland looks like. I don't think they did bad in the trades. All a matter of how Lebron reacts. From a pure talent perspective, they upgraded in every single deal (with exception of maybe that Lakers trade).

Cleveland can no longer trade the Nets 1st round pick (prior to the draft) since they don't have a pick in 2019 (and traded this year's pick to Lakers). Unless of course they get an unprotected 1st round pick back in a deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm interested in seeing what Cleveland looks like. I don't think they did bad in the trades. All a matter of how Lebron reacts. From a pure talent perspective, they upgraded in every single deal (with exception of maybe that Lakers trade).

Cleveland can no longer trade the Nets 1st round pick (prior to the draft) since they don't have a pick in 2019 (and traded this year's pick to Lakers). Unless of course they get an unprotected 1st round pick back in a deal.

When Lebron leaves after this year, they were going to suck anyway. This at least gives them some sort of chance this year, maybe GS gets a lot of injuries during the playoffs and the Cavs can pull it out, but they keep the better pick. And they cut bait on a lot of blah. DRose and Wade gone is addition by subtraction in my book, and IT wasn't working with Lebron.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:52 PM)
Rose reportedly to be released and than signed by Minny (reunited with Thibbs, Buckets and Taj).

Rose is toast but it's funny how he can suddenly be okay with play with Buckets again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
When Lebron leaves after this year, they were going to suck anyway. This at least gives them some sort of chance this year, maybe GS gets a lot of injuries during the playoffs and the Cavs can pull it out, but they keep the better pick. And they cut bait on a lot of blah. DRose and Wade gone is addition by subtraction in my book, and IT wasn't working with Lebron.

And if the moves work and they win...I think Lebron might stay....otherwise you are right, he's 100% gone. I like the fact that it seems they aren't catering to him and are instead making moves to bring in the best basketball players that they can. I still think the Bulls will make a quiet attempt at LBJ in the off-season (there is no reason they shouldn't). No matter how much of a diva he is, he immediately gives your team a chance to contend for a title.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)

This is probably lebrons best team now since he's come back to Cleveland.

Isiah Thomas is supposedly going to stronghold the Lakers and not show-up. Refuses to play off the bench. Might force a "buyout". I feel awful for Thomas, whose value was destroyed because he gave it his all in the post-season. Just think about if he went Derrick Rose...he'd probably have been healthy this year, had another strong year, and got paid a lot of money. Now he's going to be looking at such a smaller contract in the off-season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:10 AM)
I mean, I think the main issue with IT is he has to be on a team that has incredibly strong team defense and there are few of those. He is an absolute wreck on D.

Cavs are going to find out Jordan Clarskon isn't much better, but yes, Thomas sucks on D.

Mudiay...7th overall pick in the draft, in his 3rd year in the league and already relegated to the bench. A lot of people thought he was a value pick when he fell to 7th overall too. Still 21 so I like this move a lot for the Knicks (who got Mudiay).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 01:13 PM)
Cavs are going to find out Jordan Clarskon isn't much better, but yes, Thomas sucks on D.

At least clarkson is 6'4 or something so switches aren't obvious exploitation moments.

Definitely don't mind this move as a Bull fan. I presume we are about to trade Lopez or at a minimum are just going to play him less minutes and give Vonleh a lot more run (obviously along with Portis and others) to see if there is anything there.