2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Not surprising and I wouldn't blame him, but he was the one saying the top 5 reasons he came to the Bulls were Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, and Jimmy. That he didn't want a rebuild, and all the rest. So either this Jimmy trade talk is mostly BS and the Bulls planted it to get DWade to flee, where then they could totally sell getting rid of Jimmy and rebuilding even to the biggest holdouts, or he was BSing. I am going with him BSing because he still had time to see this out. But if he did wait, he wouldn't get anywhere near what the Bulls will be paying him.

Missed in all this Bulls trade talk was the fact that Jimmy was supposedly doing hard core recruiting to other players to come to Chicago. This might have changed in last 24 hours, but the comments on Butler pushing Cavs might have been leaked by Cavs people to try and force the issue (since Jimmy has supposedly been pretty steadfast in his commitment to the Bulls).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Missed in all this Bulls trade talk was the fact that Jimmy was supposedly doing hard core recruiting to other players to come to Chicago. This might have changed in last 24 hours, but the comments on Butler pushing Cavs might have been leaked by Cavs people to try and force the issue (since Jimmy has supposedly been pretty steadfast in his commitment to the Bulls).

Yeah, the Kyrie thing made me VERY horny.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
The problem is supposedly Celtics said "no" to 3 straight up. Who knows if that is true, but I am trying to work in the framework of the rumors we are being told.

And 5-7 years to win a NBA Championship is being realistic.

Jordan was drafted in 1984, Bulls first Championship was 1991. Its hard to imagine scenarios given the current state of the NBA where the Bulls would be able to win a NBA Championship faster than 7 years from now.

Come on, Bull did not have a 7 year rebuild plan in the 80's, they were consistently in the ECF before they won the Finals. There's a difference between having their plan working out in the 7th year and having a plan that includes a return in 7th year, who may turn out to be a bust. There is no guarantee that Cavs will be a bottom 5 team by 2020; one would have expected Spurs to fade post Duncan, or the Lakers to fade after Kareem, Magic, or Shaq left or retired, it's not always a guarantee.

A first round pick 5-7 years from now is worth A LOT less than a first round pick 1-2 years from now in the NBA.

The Bulls are totally going to keep Butler and remain in NBA hell for the foreseeable future. And when they finally commit to a rebuild down the road, they'll do so without getting anything of real value for Jimmy. They're simply delaying the inevitable and it's the real fans who will suffer. What a joke of an organization we've become. Pretty sad to think that I'm 33 years old and I won't have a reason to watch Bulls basketball until my 40's.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)
The Bulls are totally going to keep Butler and remain in NBA hell for the foreseeable future. And when they finally commit to a rebuild down the road, they'll do so without getting anything of real value for Jimmy. They're simply delaying the inevitable and it's the real fans who will suffer. What a joke of an organization we've become. Pretty sad to think that I'm 33 years old and I won't have a reason to watch Bulls basketball until my 40's.

Yup. They'll finally trade him for nothing or let him walk.

We're about the same age. I sure as s*** hope you're right about Bulls basketball in the 40's. That's a lot sooner than I expect. Let's say they cashed in on him today and rebuilt. We'd still be talking about the time we're 37-38 before any sort of viable rebuilt team could actually challenge for a title.

The rebuild won't even START until then because they'll keep signing over-the-hill turds to patch the roster around the one true asset they have without making stabs at available talent ready to break out (hello, Brook Lopez was just the return for D'Angelo Russell).

The Bulls f***ing suck.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:32 AM)
Come on, Bull did not have a 7 year rebuild plan in the 80's, they were consistently in the ECF before they won the Finals. There's a difference between having their plan working out in the 7th year and having a plan that includes a return in 7th year, who may turn out to be a bust. There is no guarantee that Cavs will be a bottom 5 team by 2020; one would have expected Spurs to fade post Duncan, or the Lakers to fade after Kareem, Magic, or Shaq left or retired, it's not always a guarantee.

A first round pick 5-7 years from now is worth A LOT less than a first round pick 1-2 years from now in the NBA.

Rebuilds in the NBA are so tricky because you need the centerpiece first (for the record, Jimmy Butler is not that centerpiece) because when you amass talent you start winning games and the only surefire way to acquire a star in this league is to draft him.

There's also the "win the lottery" part of the equation. Teams like Milwaukee are going to be good for a long time because of a 15th (16th?) overall pick.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
I'm looking forward to when LeBron retires, maybe then we will have more parity and less of the super teams in the NBA anymore.

At his current rate of development, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls become Giannis' punching bag going forward. That guy looks like the real deal.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
At his current rate of development, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls become Giannis' punching bag going forward. That guy looks like the real deal.

Yeah, but he's in Milwaukee. They should be looking to find a way to acquire Giannis as he enters his prime like the other good organizations I am sure area already plotting.

The Bulls, of course, are not.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
Yeah, but he's in Milwaukee. They should be looking to find a way to acquire Giannis as he enters his prime like the other good organizations I am sure area already plotting.

The Bulls, of course, are not.

I hate feeling this way, but I get the feeling no one is planning on signing with this Bulls front office in free agency. Plus, the league is just so heavily biased towards players signing with the team that drafted them.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:32 AM)

The Bulls were bad before MJ. Outside of 1980-81 the Bulls were sub .400 from 1978-79 through 1983-1984. The point of the MJ comment was that even after the Bulls selected arguably the greatest player in NBA history, it took them over 5 years to get to the NBA Finals.

And I understand how valuations work. Which is why the Bulls would be getting a lot more future picks than present picks. There is a lot of risk involved, but the more picks you have the more you spread out the risk. At this point Butler is the best trade piece the Bulls have to somehow get themselves on a track to the NBA Finals. I do not believe that a mid/late round pick + expiring contracts will get them anywhere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Wade opting in should tell everyone what they should expect regarding Buckets.

Notice he didn't say "24 million and 1 reasons".

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
The Bulls were bad before MJ. Outside of 1980-81 the Bulls were sub .400 from 1978-79 through 1983-1984. The point of the MJ comment was that even after the Bulls selected arguably the greatest player in NBA history, it took them over 5 years to get to the NBA Finals.

And I understand how valuations work. Which is why the Bulls would be getting a lot more future picks than present picks. There is a lot of risk involved, but the more picks you have the more you spread out the risk. At this point Butler is the best trade piece the Bulls have to somehow get themselves on a track to the NBA Finals. I do not believe that a mid/late round pick + expiring contracts will get them anywhere.

Except that the Bulls won an average of over 50 games from '87-91, made 2nd round, 2 ECF, and finally the Finals during that time. I would not call that part of the rebuild.

Take that MJ example for a second, even after you collect all your picks 5-7 years from now, it will still take you a number of years to develop players and chemistry before becoming a true contender. If that fails, you'd start over again.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Except that the Bulls won an average of over 50 games from '87-91, made 2nd round, 2 ECF, and finally the Finals during that time. I would not call that part of the rebuild.

Take that MJ example for a second, even after you collect all your picks 5-7 years from now, it will still take you a number of years to develop players and chemistry before becoming a true contender. If that fails, you'd start over again.

The Bulls are a Jerry Reinsdorf team. It took 11 years of failure after the Sox won the title for them to finally rebuild. Jerry likely sees 10-12 as the window where they had a title but "oh tough break, D-Rose". So he's goign to try to patch until he dies or 2023! NOoooooooooo!

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)

1987-1991 is not "before Jordan"

A rebuild essentially ends once you land a superstar. Once that happens, you build around them, but you no longer tank because you no longer need to

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)

A rebuild essentially ends once you land a superstar. Once that happens, you build around them, but you no longer tank because you no longer need to

But if you build too swiftly, you find your way into NBA Hell because you need two superstars and at least one other All-Star to compete in today's NBA.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)

Huh? I think that's why I said.