2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

33 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

LeBron flopping as usual?! Color me shocked. I don't know how some people root for that guy.

He's the single greatest player in the NBA and has done so with zero off the court issues.  He also has completely put his team on his own back on numerous occasions, including this most recent series.  Guy is incredible and he's also been very good in game 7's. 2nd highest game 7 scoring avg in NBA history (behind only Jordan).  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He's the single greatest player in the NBA and has done so with zero off the court issues.  He also has completely put his team on his own back on numerous occasions, including this most recent series.  Guy is incredible and he's also been very good in game 7's. 2nd highest game 7 scoring avg in NBA history (behind only Jordan).  

All this is fine and good but Lebron has a pretty well established history of flopping like a fish

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

All this is fine and good but Lebron has a pretty well established history of flopping like a fish

Which I would flat-out call smart. I want my teams players flopping where it is advantageous too. Michael Jordan, the greatest ever, was always fouled. Its only natural.  But just my opinion.  Bottom line, I want players on my team doing what they can to maximize their value. If they have an art to get a few more fouls called (to their teams advantage) awesome.  Now if you are flopping and not getting the calls, than that isn't helping you and you should stop.  There is "flopping" and there is effective "flopping".  

Offensively, prime Derrick Rose would have benefited from ways to maximize foul calls on him. He was always hacked with minimal calls and I think it was related to the fact that he didn't play his hand like he should (in this case, I'm not giving an example of "flopping" just talking about how you work the system / refs to maximize foul calls).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Which I would flat-out call smart. I want my teams players flopping where it is advantageous too. Michael Jordan, the greatest ever, was always fouled. Its only natural.  But just my opinion.  

It is smart, but there is definitely a line to be drawn there.  Look at a guy like Grayson Allen who plays the game the same way and has been suspended for some of his antics.  There is a line between letting a ref know you got fouled and this crap.  Its too bad the NBA doesn't have a true flopping rule like the NHL has.  I wouldn't be opposed to a technical foul being able to be awarded for something especially ridiculous like this play.

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is smart, but there is definitely a line to be drawn there.  Look at a guy like Grayson Allen who plays the game the same way and has been suspended for some of his antics.  There is a line between letting a ref know you got fouled and this crap.  Its too bad the NBA doesn't have a true flopping rule like the NHL has.  I wouldn't be opposed to a technical foul being able to be awarded for something especially ridiculous like this play.

Wasn't Grayson Allen suspended for tripping (+ had incidents shoving a coach, etc. I don't quite view them in the same lens. I do agree I would support a more stringent flopping rule. I thought NBA has talked about it from time to time. Can't remember if at one point players could be fined for it?  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wasn't Grayson Allen suspended for tripping, etc. I don't quite view them in the same lens. I do agree I would support a more stringent flopping rule. I thought NBA has talked about it from time to time. Can't remember if at one point players could be fined for it?  

There was enforcement for multiple floppers stressed in 2013, and it hasn't been discussed as much since.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There was enforcement for multiple floppers stressed in 2013, and it hasn't been discussed as much since.

Excellent - Always good when my memory is reaffirmed on things like this.  Hitting a players wallet is usually a good step in the right direction.  The hardest part is sometimes it is really difficult to tell.  I say that because even if there isn't a lot of contact, sometimes the reason you go down is because you aren't expecting a certain move or your just out-of-balance and the slightest touch can take you down (maybe cause I'm not coordinated enough but I've certainly had this happen to me in my rec old man league games). And I assure everyone, i'm not looking to flop (I won't take a charge or flop...hell with that).  

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Excellent - Always good when my memory is reaffirmed on things like this.  Hitting a players wallet is usually a good step in the right direction.  The hardest part is sometimes it is really difficult to tell.  I say that because even if there isn't a lot of contact, sometimes the reason you go down is because you aren't expecting a certain move or your just out-of-balance and the slightest touch can take you down (maybe cause I'm not coordinated enough but I've certainly had this happen to me in my rec old man league games). And I assure everyone, i'm not looking to flop (I won't take a charge or flop...hell with that).  

I actually think on the video posted Lebron lost his balance when he was trying to avoid running into the other defender. 

That being said, NBA loves garbage fouls so anyone who isnt flopping is hurting their team. 

Bored with outcome oriented nba watching. Utah/Rockets has been very fun, celts/76ers has been fun, rapts/cavs has been a drag.

The playoffs have been great, not sure it redeems the tanking.

• Like 1