2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Wade opting in should tell everyone what they should expect regarding Buckets.

Pretty much seals the fate for any Butler trade.

I suspect they will settle for that European PG and a couple of end of bench guys and call it an off season. (God forbids they signing Iggy, talk about a horrible fit).

I think 2018 offseason is when we see the real actions take place. Wade and Rondo coming off the books, Butler and RoLo are the only guaranteed contracts in the books. We may make another FA push then, or just trade those two for picks and completely tank for next 2-3 years.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Pretty much seals the fate for any Butler trade.

I suspect they will settle for that European PG and a couple of end of bench guys and call it an off season. (God forbids they signing Iggy, talk about a horrible fit).

I think 2018 offseason is when we see the real actions take place. Wade and Rondo coming off the books, Butler and RoLo are the only guaranteed contracts in the books. We may make another FA push then, or just trade those two for picks and completely tank for next 2-3 years.

I agree and to be honest...that isn't that bad of a plan (given the current situation of the Bulls).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
But if you build too swiftly, you find your way into NBA Hell because you need two superstars and at least one other All-Star to compete in today's NBA.

While this is somewhat true, if you get the one superstar, free agents are more likely to join you to play with them.

It will be interesting to see if Houston clicks on the model, because there are a lot of potential movers to Houston.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 06:33 PM)
While this is somewhat true, if you get the one superstar, free agents are more likely to join you to play with them.

It will be interesting to see if Houston clicks on the model, because there are a lot of potential movers to Houston.

Yeah I remember the good ol days when the Bulls signed all the top free agents when they had a prime Rose.

No top free agent is signing in Milwaukee to play with Giannis. No top free agent is going to sign in OKC once Russ leaves. Top free agents are going to either: stay with the team that drafted them for more money or going to LA/Mia or tax free states. Best you can do are overpay Carlos Boozer types who aren't winning you championships. Only other way is to fall ass backwards into a couple superstars and have a competent enough FO to not completely screw it up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:02 AM)
I'm beginning to think the Knicks do the unthinkable and trade Porzingas. Phil sounds really kissed at him. If only the Bulls had the assets

While I think Porzingis is a special talent, id be scared to rely on him as my franchise guy. I see a few great years and a lot of injury prone ones.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:02 AM)
I'm beginning to think the Knicks do the unthinkable and trade Porzingas. Phil sounds really kissed at him. If only the Bulls had the assets

Well, it is the knicks. Maybe we don't need the assets.

I feel as if the Wolves are the only team potentially serious enough about getting Butler. The question is...would the Wolves do Wiggins, Dunn, and their pick for Butler. I think that would be my minimum required threshold for getting Jimmy. I feel at least the floor isn't bad (cause Wiggins is a good player...not Jimmy Buckets...but very solid). Dunn sucked last year, but Bulls liked him and young PG's can take time to develop. The pick isn't super high, but you have a shot at getting another quality player. I'm not in love with the deal...but if Bulls really wanted to move another direction...I'd be okay with it.

I couldn't do a deal centered around Levine, Dunn, and the pick (or even future picks).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
I feel as if the Wolves are the only team potentially serious enough about getting Butler. The question is...would the Wolves do Wiggins, Dunn, and their pick for Butler. I think that would be my minimum required threshold for getting Jimmy. I feel at least the floor isn't bad (cause Wiggins is a good player...not Jimmy Buckets...but very solid). Dunn sucked last year, but Bulls liked him and young PG's can take time to develop. The pick isn't super high, but you have a shot at getting another quality player. I'm not in love with the deal...but if Bulls really wanted to move another direction...I'd be okay with it.

I couldn't do a deal centered around Levine, Dunn, and the pick (or even future picks).

To me, this is simple. Can the Bulls put together a contender around Butler? If not, then they need to trade him ASAP. The longer they hold on to Butler, the more his value depreciates. The longer they hold on to Butler, the longer it takes for the Bulls to bottom out and start landing the draft picks they need to start the rebuild. If the Bulls are convinced Butler is going to walk in two years, and Levine + Dunn + #7 is the best deal on the table, the Bulls need to think long and hard about taking that offer.

If I am to rebuild, I'm not sure if I want to rebuild around Wiggins. Dude is going to be a scorer, may in the caliber of Melo one day. He has a high perceived value due to being a #1 pick, but I'm not sure if he does enough of anything else to be the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @ESPNSteinLine 4m4 minutes ago

More

The Celtics remain in trade pursuit of Kristaps Porzingis, league sources say, trying to assemble a package to meet the Knicks' demands.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
Sam Amico‏Verified account @AmicoHoops 35m35 minutes ago

More

Both #Pacers and #Bulls were trying to insist on Kyrie Irving in trades, sources say. #Cavs quickly lost interest.

I think Bulls best bet is getting Kyrie in a year (not sure if it is actually feasible)...but I think him and Jimmy want to play (we clearly don't have the assets to get him...unless he really forced Cleveland and all that is subject to LBJ leaving.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
If I am to rebuild, I'm not sure if I want to rebuild around Wiggins. Dude is going to be a scorer, may in the caliber of Melo one day. He has a high perceived value due to being a #1 pick, but I'm not sure if he does enough of anything else to be the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Rather build it around Wiggins than Dunn though?

If I was the bulls and Butler isnt in their long term plans I could be convinced to do something like

7+ Wiggins + Future 1st (could be pretty far out).

Then id try and use that #7 to jump and get Fox.

Or I guess you can just try and get the Suns to deal #4 and future picks for Butler.

But if I could get Fox + Wiggins for Butler Id at least feel like I have a chance at making the Bulls something competitive.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
Bleacher Report‏Verified account @BleacherReport 1m1 minute ago

More

Knicks asking Celtics for the No. 3 pick, Jaylen Brown, Jae Crowder & 2018 BKN pick for Porzingis, per @FisolaNYDN http://ble.ac/2sv0mnW

That's a pretty good deal for both teams IMO. I'm not sold on Brown but at least you get a decent prospect. Crowder is a solid starter on a bad team and you get one high lottery pick this year and another next year (or at least good odds of it).

And I think the added advantage for Boston is that they can dump some money and get enough cap space to offer Hayward a max deal.

Seemingly ALL Boston fans are laughing at the deal in that tweet. I just dont get how fans are so out of touch with reality. What the hell do you think it would take to get a guy like Porznigis? You are laughing at the thought of trading a Brown or Crowder? GTFOH then.

This is where Boston is getting to cute for their own good. At some point they need to cash in these picks on proven players. If they had waited on trading the #1 they probably could make the deal with Knicks much cheaper.

If Im boston I try and give more picks to keep the BKN pick. But if its take that or no deal, Id just take the deal.

(edit)

Shipps,

That is what I referring to yesterday. Boston fans were saying that Butler was worth late first round pick plus garbage.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Rather build it around Wiggins than Dunn though?

If I was the bulls and Butler isnt in their long term plans I could be convinced to do something like

7+ Wiggins + Future 1st (could be pretty far out).

Then id try and use that #7 to jump and get Fox.

Or I guess you can just try and get the Suns to deal #4 and future picks for Butler.

But if I could get Fox + Wiggins for Butler Id at least feel like I have a chance at making the Bulls something competitive.

I'm not too big on Dunn. But yes, if we get both Fox and Wiggins for Butler, I'd take it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Seemingly ALL Boston fans are laughing at the deal in that tweet. I just dont get how fans are so out of touch with reality. What the hell do you think it would take to get a guy like Porznigis? You are laughing at the thought of trading a Brown or Crowder? GTFOH then.

That 2018 Nets pick would be the hold up in my opinion. The top of the draft next year (top 4 picks) looks silly good.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)

Wiggins? No chance. I'd do Lavine, Dunn, and #7 for Butler. The Bulls have 2 options here: They can trade Jimmy Butler tonight and rebuild or they can plan on keeping him and paying him $230 million during his age 30-35 seasons. Those are the choices.

Does anyone even like Dunn? Or is it just because he was picked high its worth the risk?

The only reason Dunn would interest me is if I could convince someone higher to take Dunn + 7 so the Bulls could move up in the draft.

Otherwise Id actually rather get 7 + Levine + Shabazz and more picks.

I just feel like Dunn youre paying a premium for and Im not really a fan.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Does anyone even like Dunn? Or is it just because he was picked high its worth the risk?

The only reason Dunn would interest me is if I could convince someone higher to take Dunn + 7 so the Bulls could move up in the draft.

Otherwise Id actually rather get 7 + Levine + Shabazz and more picks.

I just feel like Dunn youre paying a premium for and Im not really a fan.

I loved him in college but he wasn't good last year.