2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The question is what would have happened had he gone to an expansion franchise and been asked to become THE GUY right off the bat...?  Would he have still become a Top 50 All-Time player without the guiding presence of MJ?

Iron sharpens iron for sure, and their defensive skills improved with each other.  But he's still an all timer.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:27 AM, Steve9347 said:

Agreed, and longevity matters. His career has transcended Jordan's, and in my opinion he's a far superior player than MJ could ever have hoped to be and a superior talent among his generation than MJ was among his.

The talent/dominance gap from LeBron to whomever the fuck you'd consider the 2nd best player in this generation is massive. He's on another planet.

HAH

On 6/1/2018 at 5:44 AM, RockRaines said:

Lebron is the best player of all time, he's always the best on the court.

No. LeBron may be the most physically blessed played of all time. He is not the best. He’s not been the best on the court in a lot of games he’s played in. And he absolutely has nowhere near the mental or emotional game that Michael had. 

The way he is currently behaving on the court is absolutely embarrassing and pathetic. 

He sure does put his shoulder down, clear out with the off hand, and go to the basket hard though. 

• Like 1

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/8/17440192/lebron-james-boston-celtics-offseason

This is such a dumb, click bait article written to appease the Boston homers that probably make up the majority of Simmons' (e.g, The Ringer's) audience. Zero chance the Celtics trade Hayward or Irving a year after signing/trading for them.

17 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I don't see it. Kyrie doesn't want to play with Lebron so you would have to get rid of him. And who takes less minutes so he can play 35-40 minutes a game? 

Things are being leaked that the Celtics are afraid they won't be able to resign Kyrie and that he plans to sign with the Knicks in 2019. I don't think the timing of these "leaks" is a coincidence. It gives Boston an out if they trade kyrie to sign Lebron.

I like how this "leak" isn't even sourced to the Celtics. it's from this bleacher report, which cites to conjecture of Chris Mannix (and only Mannix):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780152-kyrie-irving-rumors-celtics-scared-pg-will-leave-in-2019-fa-join-knicks

There is reportedly some concern in the Boston Celtics organization that guard Kyrie Irving will leave via free agency in 2019.

Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports (h/t NBC Sports Boston) said Thursday on his podcast that the New York Knicks are considered a threat to sign Irving when he hits the open market:

"I think they're scared. I think they're scared and should be scared to some degree of Kyrie Irving walking in 2019. I know he had a great year, but you know there are people in Cleveland that will tell you that the Knicks should be considered a real threat for Kyrie Irving. Because Kyrie had talked about it—about playing with the Knicks with some players in that Cleveland locker room—from what I was told.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

8 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23739593/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-played-significant-hand-injury

Cmon, whatever the explanation for releasing it now this just looks terrible for Lebron. 

Straight out of the Big Ben/Williams sisters injury excuse playbook. I'm actually surprised he didn't let it out before the end of the series, though. He exaggerates so much every time he's fouled during a game (laying on the ground or squatting down for an extended period holding his face).

Great player, no doubt. GOAT? I still have MJ.

Speaking of GOATs, Durant was pretty classless when he received the Finals MVP with Bill Russell on stage. KD danced and hotdogged his way over to the trophy, then he didn't even acknowledge Russell. A little while later, someone grabbed KD and had him shake Russell's hand, but KD didn't show much appreciation for the former GOAT. Overall, Golden State is a pretty unlikeable team. I hope their run is over.

8 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Hate to say I told you so, but wow, what a boring playoffs. Everybody and their mothers could have predicted GSW vs. CLE and GSW winning pretty easily many months before this.

Without Chris Paul injury, could easily ave gone the other way...and Celtics looked like they had at least a 50/50 shot at CLE.  Indiana came very close as well.