Who would you be most upset if the Sox traded them?

caulfield12

Players you're leery about dealing now  

38 members have voted

1. 1. The one/s NOT to let get away

• Jose Quintana (at 85 cents on the dollar)
    • Avisail Garcia
    • Matt Davidson
    • Tommy Kahnle
    • Jose Abreu
    • Leury Garcia
    • Carlos Sanchez
    • Tyler Saladino
    • Nate Jones
    • Courtney Hawkins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimbrel is a Hall of Fame reliever...Kahnle could be Politte, Linebrink, MacDougal, Aardsma or a legit dominant closer under control for three more years. There's still not enough certainty there to trade a Top 100 guy (75-100) for him. Maybe if he keeps this pace up until the end of July.

Edited by caulfield12

Obviously anybody can be traded. For guys like Abreu or Q you'd expect a pretty nice return. I wouldn't be upset. Guys like Davidson...or Kahnle...you're not going to get much of a return unless they're part of a much bigger package so what's the point of trading them? Who I picked was Avisail. He's just starting to show signs of stardom...but he's still a relatively "unknown"...so you realistically you're not going to get a great return for him....and again...what would be the point of trading him and then watch him explode on to the super star scene. Not saying he will...but maybe maturity has finally caught up with him and everything is coming together. I just can't see trading him at all right now. I wish they'd extend him actually.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Kimbrel is a Hall of Fame reliever...Kahnle could be Politte, Linebrink, MacDougal, Aardsma or a legit dominant closer under control for three more years. There's still not enough certainty there to trade a Top 100 guy (75-100) for him. Maybe if he keeps this pace up until the end of July.

This is funny.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

At the same time, here's what Jeff Sullivan said in his FanGraphs chat yesterday:

10:35

Outta my way, Gyorkass: Thornburg is out for the season, Smith is hurt too, and Jeffress sucks. How long until the rest of the league rejects Stearns trade offers out of his bullpen out of principle?

10:35

Jeff Sullivan: Always Be Trading Relievers

which, yeah, I also completely agree with.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
I voted Davidson because I think long term he can make a solid contribution to the team when they get good again.

All the others are easily replaceable in my opinion and I'm not sold on A. Garcia yet.

Huh? There seems to be a rational disconnect here. Davidson is actually older (though it is close) than Avi, and is less accomplished in AAA than Avi is at the MLB level. I understand not believing in Avi, but not having belief in Garcia, while believing in Davidson seems irrational. If you had to pick one to figure it out, based on pedigree, track record and tools, Avi is the better bet by a significant margin.

With that said, Davidson can certainly be a contributor. I am anxious to see him play 3rd everyday one Frazier gets traded. If he can be even passable, then he can hit .235-.240 with power and be a contributor.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
At the same time, here's what Jeff Sullivan said in his FanGraphs chat yesterday:

Yeah, you don't hold onto relievers during a rebuild. First, they're too fickle performance-wise year to year and they almost always bring back a premium at the deadline. Second, if you're a pitching rich organization, you'll probably have plenty of arms to field a quality bullpen. In addition to Burdi, I feel pretty strongly that Fulmer & Stephens will end up in the pen along with a few other failed starters.

Therefore, trade Robertson, Kahnle, & Swarzak this deadline if you can get quality returns. Jones potentially becomes a big trade piece in 2018. Cashing in on relievers is rebuilding 101 and I'm glad to see we're set up to do just that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)

Agreed if they could move him to the cubs for say Cease and Candelario and a lotto ticket i would be all about that.

Giles being more established brought back the #43 prospect in Appel, #69 in Velasquez, Oberholtzer a spot starter / reliever, a lotto ticket relief arm in Harold Arauz and Thomas Eshelman a 5th starter prospect

The astros also got Jonathan Arau who is developing nicely for them.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
Yeah, you don't hold onto relievers during a rebuild. First, they're too fickle performance-wise year to year and they almost always bring back a premium at the deadline. Second, if you're a pitching rich organization, you'll probably have plenty of arms to field a quality bullpen. In addition to Burdi, I feel pretty strongly that Fulmer & Stephens will end up in the pen along with a few other failed starters.

Therefore, trade Robertson, Kahnle, & Swarzak this deadline if you can get quality returns. Jones potentially becomes a big trade piece in 2018. Cashing in on relievers is rebuilding 101 and I'm glad to see we're set up to do just that.

The Sox under Ken Williams did a very poor job of getting proper value out of relievers, trading Foulke, Marte, and Thornton when their values plummeted and paying a premium for Linebrink and Robertson.

If they reverse that under Hahn and trade these guys while their value is at its peak, they will be doing business the right way. Yeah, Kahnle has probably figured something out with regards to his mechanics, and he could be very good for 3-4 years, but a rebuilding team especially should not be counting on that.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Robertson, Kahnle, and Swarzak being on this team beyond July 31st would be a failure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
The Sox under Ken Williams did a very poor job of getting proper value out of relievers, trading Foulke, Marte, and Thornton when their values plummeted and paying a premium for Linebrink and Robertson.

If they reverse that under Hahn and trade these guys while their value is at its peak, they will be doing business the right way. Yeah, Kahnle has probably figured something out with regards to his mechanics, and he could be very good for 3-4 years, but a rebuilding team especially should not be counting on that.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Robertson, Kahnle, and Swarzak being on this team beyond July 31st would be a failure.

This is pretty clear, but at the same time, I want good value out of these guys. I would rather get nothing for Kahnle and keep him than trade him in a month for 50 cents on the dollar because he doesn't have a long enough history of success.

At some point, you have to cash in on your assets, but not at the expense of a well-reasoned, patiently negotiated rebuild.

As I said before, this is a rebuild, but it doesn't need to be American Pickers.

I like Hahn overseeing things for that very reason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
This is pretty clear, but at the same time, I want good value out of these guys. I would rather get nothing for Kahnle and keep him than trade him in a month for 50 cents on the dollar because he doesn't have a long enough history of success.

At some point, you have to cash in on your assets, but not at the expense of a well-reasoned, patiently negotiated rebuild.

As I said before, this is a rebuild, but it doesn't need to be American Pickers.

I like Hahn overseeing things for that very reason.

I don't disagree with this for Kahnle. Robertson I think you can fudge things one way or another, whether it's eating some money to get a better prospect or taking a lesser package to get him moved. Swarzak absolutely needs to be moved for whatever the Sox can get.