Who would you be most upset if the Sox traded them?

caulfield12

Players you're leery about dealing now  

38 members have voted

1. 1. The one/s NOT to let get away

• Jose Quintana (at 85 cents on the dollar)
    • Avisail Garcia
    • Matt Davidson
    • Tommy Kahnle
    • Jose Abreu
    • Leury Garcia
    • Carlos Sanchez
    • Tyler Saladino
    • Nate Jones
    • Courtney Hawkins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
We need a board-wide training session on creating polls that allow multiple selections.

Honestly, trade everyone, as long as we get good value.

For me, Avi, Kahnle, Swarzak and Rodon are the guys that have some upside left in them that I would be concerned about giving away.

Abreu I think brings a lot of veteran leadership to a ballclub heavy on latin american assets, so I suppose he is the guy that I would keep around for reasons chalked up to "chemistry" or "intangibles."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)

For me, Avi, Kahnle, Swarzak and Rodon are the guys that have some upside left in them that I would be concerned about giving away.

Abreu I think brings a lot of veteran leadership to a ballclub heavy on latin american assets, so I suppose he is the guy that I would keep around for reasons chalked up to "chemistry" or "intangibles."

I think Abreu is among the least likely players to be traded in the entire league.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
At some point, you have to cash in on your assets, but not at the expense of a well-reasoned, patiently negotiated rebuild.

You Hahn supporters should get free tickets just as El Rockin should for a different reason, being the best fan alive regarding the current team roster. I love the Robert signing and rebuilding that way and through free agency (add without tearing anything down). I love making smart draft picks whether Sale at 13 or Trout at 25, not Alvarez at 2. The Sox should have said they were in a rebuild long ago. It makes for a very happy fanbase.

The key now if the "well reasoned patiently negotiated rebuild" is to continue on its long long path is to get all u can for Q and David Robertson, cause nobody else is going to bring squat via trade. Those 2 might still bring something decent.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)

Swarzak is a free agent after this year, you take whatever you can get for him at the deadline.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Swarzak is a free agent after this year, you take whatever you can get for him at the deadline.

plus the wrong side of 30. He'd be a nice piece in a package. Personally...I'd like to hang onto Kahnle unless it's a ridiculous return.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
plus the wrong side of 30. He'd be a nice piece in a package. Personally...I'd like to hang onto Kahnle unless it's a ridiculous return.

Kahnle's years of team control make it very unlikely for us to receive a fair trade offer for him. I'm with you on this

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
The Sox under Ken Williams did a very poor job of getting proper value out of relievers, trading Foulke, Marte, and Thornton when their values plummeted and paying a premium for Linebrink and Robertson.

If they reverse that under Hahn and trade these guys while their value is at its peak, they will be doing business the right way. Yeah, Kahnle has probably figured something out with regards to his mechanics, and he could be very good for 3-4 years, but a rebuilding team especially should not be counting on that.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Robertson, Kahnle, and Swarzak being on this team beyond July 31st would be a failure.

Reed turned into Davidson, Santos was a whiff...Santiago started his career as a high draft pick swing man (then closer) and turned into Eaton...into possibly 3 Top 100 prospects.

Devenski, he was a throw-in at time. I guess we can also say we 'missed' with Junior Guerra and Clayton Richard, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Reed turned into Davidson, Santos was a whiff...Santiago started his career as a high draft pick swing man (then closer) and turned into Eaton...into possibly 3 Top 100 prospects.

Devenski, he was a throw-in at time. I guess we can also say we 'missed' with Junior Guerra and Clayton Richard, haha.

Devenski was a terrible trade forever because Bret Myers is human garbage

For relievers, you trade them after you have increased their value as closers.

That means trading Robertson and moving up Jones or Kahnle, and when their value rises after they show they can handle the 9th, then you trade them.

A setup guy, no matter how good, won't bring as much back.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
For relievers, you trade them after you have increased their value as closers.

That means trading Robertson and moving up Jones or Kahnle, and when their value rises after they show they can handle the 9th, then you trade them.

A setup guy, no matter how good, won't bring as much back.

Unless he's Andrew Miller, LH and can go multiple innings...the one caveat.

Have my doubts about Nate Jones closing, but his value has already fallen precipitously so nothing to lose.

Kahnle/Jones

Petricka?

Burdi

Maybe Lopez or Fulmer?

Rinse/repeat.

Not going to go too crazy and project Beck or Ynoa there.

Edited by caulfield12

Sox are in a tough spot with Avi Garcia. There are two sides to the spectrum.

1. Do you capitalize on his breakout season and trade him for a couple of prospects?

2. Do you hang on to him knowing that the White Sox need offense, but run the risk of the season being a fluke for him?

I would trade Q and try to get the main two centerpieces to be bats. I think that is vital for the rebuild.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
Sox are in a tough spot with Avi Garcia. There are two sides to the spectrum.

1. Do you capitalize on his breakout season and trade him for a couple of prospects?

2. Do you hang on to him knowing that the White Sox need offense, but run the risk of the season being a fluke for him?

I would trade Q and try to get the main two centerpieces to be bats. I think that is vital for the rebuild.

You've got to hold onto him for awhile, even if your intent is to trade him. I don't think the League is sold on him either.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
You've got to hold onto him for awhile, even if your intent is to trade him. I don't think the League is sold on him either.

You're exactly right. In my opinion, so much time has been invested into him, plus he fills two needs for the White Sox, that you have to stick with him. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I have a hard time believing this could be a fluke since it has lasted so long. Avi is still relatively young as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
Cafardo mentioned Avi as a possible target for the Cards. If they want to give up C. Kelly and Perez for him, there could be a fit.

link?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Kahnle's years of team control make it very unlikely for us to receive a fair trade offer for him. I'm with you on this

I would think a Kahnle return could be similar to what the Brewers got for Thornburg, but I wouldn't expect him to get moved until the offseason.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
I would think a Kahnle return could be similar to what the Brewers got for Thornburg, but I wouldn't expect him to get moved until the offseason.

The Brewers ended up getting a great return for Thornburg, and that's not even considering that he is out for the rest of the season.

Shaw has been great at third for them, and dubon is preferring really well in AA. The other two young players are icing on the cake.

I would certainly consider dealing kahnle for a similar return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
Little do you know the list was originally supposed to be 78 names long, but board set up only allows 10.

I get paid a penny per name by the internet, and you too can make money like that without even leaving your house.