Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
Lip said he was grossly out of shape, hence my question. I had thought I read he was a hard worker but that thrust that into question.

Anyone who feels is isn't a hard worker is very misinformed and hasn't paid attention to the work he has always put into improving.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 06:21 PM)
Not sure I'd say Avi was out of shape . He tore his labrum and came back rather quickly. Now all reports we have heard say he worked very hard to come back ahead of schedule. Let's think about how that happens.

I would have to surmise that the key was strengthening the shoulder. How does one do that ? Most likely a lot of it is weight lifting. It's likely he strengthened that shoulder , but possibly bulked up too much through his upper body perhaps neglecting flexibility. He ended up losing mobility in the outfield and in his swing . I 'd say he was muscle bound more than out of shape.

Once he lost the weight in his upper body he loosened up his swing and improved his speed and agility. Now granted we have also heard he improved his diet as he matured so yes, he was probably carrying some excess fat too.

In conclusion it's possible the post injury Avi wanted to feel less vulnerable to injury and stronger so ate and bulked up to achieve that. The weight loss was just getting him back to pre injury conditioning.

Some good points but I do remember reading stories in the mainstream media saying he was at over 240 pounds and was out of shape.

One note to Greg by the way, please reread my post again, I never used the word grossly.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Not sure I'd say Avi was out of shape . He tore his labrum and came back rather quickly. Now all reports we have heard say he worked very hard to come back ahead of schedule. Let's think about how that happens.

I would have to surmise that the key was strengthening the shoulder. How does one do that ? Most likely a lot of it is weight lifting. It's likely he strengthened that shoulder , but possibly bulked up too much through his upper body perhaps neglecting flexibility. He ended up losing mobility in the outfield and in his swing . I 'd say he was muscle bound more than out of shape.

Once he lost the weight in his upper body he loosened up his swing and improved his speed and agility. Now granted we have also heard he improved his diet as he matured so yes, he was probably carrying some excess fat too.

In conclusion it's possible the post injury Avi wanted to feel less vulnerable to injury and stronger so ate and bulked up to achieve that. The weight loss was just getting him back to pre injury conditioning.

Not to mention that maybe it just took awhile to get the strength back and adjust his swing to it.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
Sure. 550.

Fine, although he is only on pace for about 610.

I will buy you 5 beef sandwiches from Portillos if Avi hits below .300 for the year.

Should he hit .300 or above, you must commit to a goal of weighing 200 pounds by the beginning of Sprint Training, 2018.

Fair?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
Fine, although he is only on pace for about 610.

I will buy you 5 beef sandwiches from Portillos if Avi hits below .300 for the year.

Should he hit .300 or above, you must commit to a goal of weighing 200 pounds by the beginning of Sprint Training, 2018.

Fair?

Lol, I get what you're going for there, but I'd rather just lose the weight at a steady pace and if I end up being 220 by new years, I don't want to feel like I need to crash diet or starve myself to hit the goal by February.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
Lol, I get what you're going for there, but I'd rather just lose the weight at a steady pace and if I end up being 220 by new years, I don't want to feel like I need to crash diet or starve myself to hit the goal by February.

You are at 243 on June 20th?

You can do this, Slacker.

I'm not too worried about the low walk total. He's barreling the ball almost every AB. I think another few months or next year he will start getting the full respect from pitchers. Right now he's probably labeled as "Cmon, I've faced this guy the last few years...he ain't THAT dangerous". Keep it up Avi and you'll be relabled as "Uh oh, better be extra careful here". Then I think the walks will trend upward. Super impressed so far. Best thing that could have happened this year for the Sox.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:51 PM)
I'm not too worried about the low walk total. He's barreling the ball almost every AB. I think another few months or next year he will start getting the full respect from pitchers. Right now he's probably labeled as "Cmon, I've faced this guy the last few years...he ain't THAT dangerous". Keep it up Avi and you'll be relabled as "Uh oh, better be extra careful here". Then I think the walks will trend upward. Super impressed so far. Best thing that could have happened this year for the Sox.

I agree! Although strange, it's a great thing for us! In spring training, I was on board with wiping the slate clean--there really weren't any players other than maybe Abreu and Anderson who I thought we couldn't rebuild without. To have guys like Avi, Yolmer, Leury, Matt Davidson, Derek Holland and Tommy Kahnle step up and show they can be quality MLB players over longer stretches of time like they have--it's really encouraging. Most of these guys have been waiver worthy for us in the past. Not saying we should build around them...but it's a nice unexpected pool of value to work with that I don't think we had before this season started.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Avi is still brutal defensively, that's for sure. But if he keeps hitting like he has this season, I can accept his ham hands.

If that remains the case, and the Sox keep him then they need to consider him for DH when they get good again (although in that case what do you do with Jose?)

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
If that remains the case, and the Sox keep him then they need to consider him for DH when they get good again (although in that case what do you do with Jose?)

Both are controlled 2 more years. One or both will be gone in 2020.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Both are controlled 2 more years. One or both will be gone in 2020.

It makes sense to play out the string with both. Jose and Avi are both the type that I feel would give the Sox a bit of a "home town discount" because this is where they found success, especially Jose. The Sox shouldn't be doing in long term deals until they know more how the rebuild is going, even if it ends up costing them a few more dollars to extend these guys come 2019 offseason.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
I'm sure plenty of teams will come calling about Avi and some one will likely pay for way he is producing right now, so I'd start the conversation with St. Louis asking for Kelly

You have to figure that they are ready to deal Kelly as they signed Molina to a 3/60 million dollar deal. I don't know why they did that but they did.

Beyond the Cardinals though, I can't really figure another team that has a deep enough farm system and willing to part with the prospects.

A team could always go with a short term rental like McCutchen as the Pirates will most likely deal him at the deadline. He is controllable for more year after this season.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
I'm sure plenty of teams will come calling about Avi and some one will likely pay for way he is producing right now, so I'd start the conversation with St. Louis asking for Kelly

I think you could package Avi and Swarzak and bring back a package around Kelly & Perez or Flaherty depending on what the sox want and one additional interesting piece like a recent Cuban acquisition: Arozarena, Oviedo or Machado.

Kelly would take additional pressure off the farm with regards to Collins and fits the mold of what Hahn is trying to emulate from the Astros; moderate to high power with good plate discipline and lower strike outs (Robert, Burger, Sheets & Gonzalez). Also a big reason I think they'll specifically target Juan Soto and Alex Verdugo this deadline.

If we get a good offer consistent with what a player of his level of production this season would return he is gone in a heartbeat if I'm the GM. Focus on moving guys like Avi, Robertson, Swarzak, etc and try to deal Q again in the offseason.

Edited by soxforlife05