Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
The only way I could see packaging Quintana and Robertson together and getting that proposed offer would be the Sox not eating any money on Robertson. If the Sox ate some of Robertson's remaining contract, I would think another piece would be included.

Agreed. I hadn't noticed the Heyman report on salary. If that's true, Robertson is much more valuable in a separate deal.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I love me some Eloy Jimenez, but I really don't like really like the Cubs' secondary pieces. Don't get me wrong, a Jimenez plus Schwarber or Happ deal would work for me obviously, but the Cubs aren't doing anything like that, at least not for Quintana.

What's wrong with Candelario?

I just dropped in and I see Kyle Schwarber is being targeted again? Come on. The Cubs are not going to sell rock bottom on him and frankly that's the only way I'd take him. He's looking like a 2 WAR player at best. His bat is not going to carry the rest of his flaws. He and Avi are similar except Avi can actually run.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
I just dropped in and I see Kyle Schwarber is being targeted again? Come on. The Cubs are not going to sell rock bottom on him and frankly that's the only way I'd take him. He's looking like a 2 WAR player at best. His bat is not going to carry the rest of his flaws. He and Avi are similar except Avi can actually run.

The only way they sell Babe is if they lost faith in him, which would be a red flag ala Giolito and the Nats.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

I don't understand the reluctance to trade with the Cubs (or any other team). I hope that Quintana makes whatever team gets him stronger -- now. But whatever we get from them, makes us stronger in 3 years - and them weaker in that time frame.

I also don't understand the interest in Schwarber. It's not about whether he's a good player now. Based on his play last WS, I'm willing to assume that he is. But I'd rather see us get back players who are a bit earlier in their development -- ones that still need to spend at least one more year in the minors and preferably more. Schwarber, if he is as good as the Cubs hope he is, will be playing in the majors almost immediately. That means his price is higher. Let's use the time we have to our advantage to get better prospects that still need some time to get to the big leagues.

QUOTE (soxtalker999 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't understand the reluctance to trade with the Cubs (or any other team). I hope that Quintana makes whatever team gets him stronger -- now. But whatever we get from them, makes us stronger in 3 years - and them weaker in that time frame.

I also don't understand the interest in Schwarber. It's not about whether he's a good player now. Based on his play last WS, I'm willing to assume that he is. But I'd rather see us get back players who are a bit earlier in their development -- ones that still need to spend at least one more year in the minors and preferably more. Schwarber, if he is as good as the Cubs hope he is, will be playing in the majors almost immediately. That means his price is higher. Let's use the time we have to our advantage to get better prospects that still need some time to get to the big leagues.

Good post! Welcome!

I think you are correct in re: Schwarber...I'd be happy to take him at the appropriate price, we just know there isn't a way he will be offered to us at such.

QUOTE (soxtalker999 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)

Not sure there's a reluctance on anyone's part but the Cubs. I also think it's because it's fairly obvious that his future is in the AL...and he'd be the LH power bat the Sox have needed (if he gets it back together...which he will). Hell I'd do it just to hear the diehard northsider dreamers boohoo it for years...lol. He was just shoved atop a pedestal way too early by Cub fans and media. A Quintana trade to the Cubs makes a ton of sense for them...but agree with many...I doubt the Cubs would pull the trigger. Who knows...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
I don't think he sticks at 3B and don't he has nearly enough upside to be the second piece in a Quintana deal.

If I had to guess, Happ is off the table at the moment. Maybe we could get Jimenez, Candelario and two lower rated players. I assume the Sox would want two "headliners" but I'm not convinced the market for Quintana is 2 top 25-50 players. I'm guessing 1 top 25, 1-2 50-100 types, and a flier.

Okay, I accept the idea we're not going out of our way to improve the defense (see Abreu/Anderson) because we're not trying to be a .500ish team, so it doesn't matter.

Statistically, we should be close/r to .500.

However, if we simply don't believe that Davidson, Anderson, Moncada and Abreu will have any impact on our young pitchers when they come up, then oh well.

Cabrera we can simply trade away, addition by subtraction. But I don't see how you can build a team around pitching (starting and relieving) yet project to have one of the worst infields and RFers in baseball.

Heck, if we'd simply developed Tyler Flowers, we'd have another huge asset in this rebuild instead of a placeholder. Defensive metrics pointed out that he had some specific skills back there that were league average or above. And, yet, other than Leury and Robert, it's hard to find too many premium defenders that are realistic starters on our major/minor league rosters. Same with this draft class. Sanchez and Hanson, perhaps???

Somewhere along the line, we need to buy a defender (substitute current Dyson's 2.0 fWAR)...he might not even receive $7.5 or $8 million as a free agent, yet fWAR values him at potentially $30-35 million by the end of the season. That said, Leury has similar value...but does anyone see him as a future starter or playing at his real level? I'm not saying overpay here...actually, quite the opposite. And maybe they trade Leury eventually to open up the spot for Engel, the other player with the tools to be very good out there in CF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Caulfield...Flowers is 31. And spent six years on the MLB roster. A starter for like, three.

Don't stop him hes on a roll; 31 year old catchers having career years at the plate are often deemed pillars of a rebuilding core.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Don't stop him hes on a roll; 31 year old catchers having career years at the plate are often deemed pillars of a rebuilding core.

If you extended Martin or Cervelli at that same exact point in their careers...you'd have done just fine.

Catchers don't mature until around 30 because of all the mental aspects of the game to master. Gary SANCHEZ has been the exception, not the rule. Wilson Contreras, as well.

No reason they couldn't have kept him until 2019/20 as a bridge to the competitive team, like Abreu and Avi.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
If you extended Martin or Cervelli at that same exact point in their careers...you'd have done just fine.

Catchers don't mature until around 30 because of all the mental aspects of the game to master. Gary SANCHEZ has been the exception, not the rule. Wilson Contreras, as well.

No reason they couldn't have kept him until 2019/20 as a bridge to the competitive team, like Abreu and Avi.

Caulfield have you been following the White Sox over the past few years? The Chicago White Sox non-tendered Tyler Flowers after the 2015 season, fresh off a .239/.295/.356 campaign, before his final trip through arbitration in his age 29 season -- because the team was ALL-IN and desperately signed two free agent veterans in hopes of finding some offense. Wtf do you mean "kept him to be the bridge to a competitive team?"

Also, the Francisco Cervelli contract has been HORRIBLE since basically a week after it was signed. If anything, Cervelli's situation would be illustrative of why NOT to believe in a random fluke career offensive performance for an aging, bad hitting catcher.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
Yankees calling up clint frazier

He's not ready, IMO. Could benefit from another few months in AAA. I understand why they're doing it but it could mess with his development.