Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

https://sports.yahoo.com/starting-pitcher-s...-091610868.html

Q ranked 17th/18th in fantasy value. Just a bit ahead of his fWAR, which is in the low 20's.

$36 Max Scherzer

$35 Clayton Kershaw

$33 Chris Sale

$31 Corey Kluber

$28 Carlos Martinez

$28 Stephen Strasburg

$26 Zack Greinke

$25 Lance McCullers

*$25 Yu Darvish

$24 Robbie Ray

$22 Jacob deGrom

$21 Jose Berrios

$20 Alex Wood

$20 Luis Severino

$20 Carlos Carrasco

$20 Marcus Stroman

$18 Jimmy Nelson

*$18 Jeff Samardzija

$18 Michael Fulmer

$18 Jon Lester

*$18 Chris Archer

$17 James Paxton

*$17 Jose Quintana

*$16 Johnny Cueto

*$16 Justin Verlander

$15 J.A. Happ

$15 Jameson Taillon

$14 David Price

*$14 Sonny Gray

$13 Jake Arrieta

*$13 Dan Straily

$13 Sean Manaea

$12 Zack Godley

$12 Gio Gonzalez

$12 Mike Fiers

$12 Steven Matz

*$12 Jason Vargas

$12 Felix Hernandez

$12 Marco Estrada

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I wish Atlanta were seriously interested in him. That's a team that could keep their top 2 or 3 (as all see me to want to do) and the Sox should still have plenty to their liking to do a deal.

I am with you Acuna-Moncada is a marketing dream.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
I think any scout at the game today would have written a positive report

His command wasn't there. Can't throw that many balls and expect to go deep into a game regardless of what your guys are doing behind you. Jose doesn't have the stuff to have an exact 2:1 s/b ratio. He needs to be more in the 65% strike ratio. Would I classify it as not bad? Sure, but I wouldn't call anything besides the 1st 2 innings as positive.

Not that it's a big deal or anything...obviously that start was far from horrible and sure isnt going to deter teams or anything. Just saying that it would have been nice to see Q keep the moment going and he just didn't have his usual great location today.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
I think he has been decent today. The 4 errors and all those extra pitches really don't help. He was fine before all that.

4 errors plus at least a couple of mental mistakes. He faced a couple of innings worth of extra batters today.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
His command wasn't there. Can't throw that many balls and expect to go deep into a game regardless of what your guys are doing behind you. Jose doesn't have the stuff to have an exact 2:1 s/b ratio. He needs to be more in the 65% strike ratio. Would I classify it as not bad? Sure, but I wouldn't call anything besides the 1st 2 innings as positive.

Not that it's a big deal or anything...obviously that start was far from horrible and sure isnt going to deter teams or anything. Just saying that it would have been nice to see Q keep the moment going and he just didn't have his usual great location today.

He was also getting squeezed and 4 errors is a big deal plus two questionable calls. Most days that's a quality start or better. Scouts I'm sure saw it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
https://sports.yahoo.com/starting-pitcher-s...-091610868.html

Q ranked 17th/18th in fantasy value. Just a bit ahead of his fWAR, which is in the low 20's.

$36 Max Scherzer

$35 Clayton Kershaw

$33 Chris Sale

$31 Corey Kluber

$28 Carlos Martinez

$28 Stephen Strasburg

$26 Zack Greinke

$25 Lance McCullers

*$25 Yu Darvish

$24 Robbie Ray

$22 Jacob deGrom

$21 Jose Berrios

$20 Alex Wood

$20 Luis Severino

$20 Carlos Carrasco

$20 Marcus Stroman

$18 Jimmy Nelson

*$18 Jeff Samardzija

$18 Michael Fulmer

$18 Jon Lester

*$18 Chris Archer

$17 James Paxton

*$17 Jose Quintana

*$16 Johnny Cueto

*$16 Justin Verlander

$15 J.A. Happ

$15 Jameson Taillon

$14 David Price

*$14 Sonny Gray

$13 Jake Arrieta

*$13 Dan Straily

$13 Sean Manaea

$12 Zack Godley

$12 Gio Gonzalez

$12 Mike Fiers

$12 Steven Matz

*$12 Jason Vargas

$12 Felix Hernandez

$12 Marco Estrada

What????? Great! Now the Sox can command any prospects they want! His DFS numbers are great! Booyah!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
He was also getting squeezed and 4 errors is a big deal plus two questionable calls. Most days that's a quality start or better. Scouts I'm sure saw it.

Hmm, Eric Cooper is a pitcher's umpire...I didn't get the sense that he was calling a tight zone.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
MLB trade rumors reports that Cubs may be interested in Verlander . That could start narrowing the field for starting pitchers.

Just under 4 weeks left to see if anyone wants to play the "pay up" game.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
I imagine Verlander's contract and asking price only helps the Sox in the Quintana market.

I dunno...it's another option...he's not going to compete with someone who wants the type of asset that Q is, but I'm not sure that more options is ever better.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
MLB trade rumors reports that Cubs may be interested in Verlander . That could start narrowing the field for starting pitchers.

That would be awesome. I would love to see the Cubs eventually have to eat that contract.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
I imagine Verlander's contract and asking price only helps the Sox in the Quintana market.

Thought the same thing when I read that the cubs were interested in Verlander. Cubs could be thinking Verlander is a cheaper option than extending Arrieta.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

Still 21st in fWAR, last debacle including two runs on the Lucroy blooper against Swarzak didn't hurt him that much.

4.07 fip, 4.21 xfip

For the moment, no way the Royals trade everyone just 1 1/2 gb and tied with the Twins....so Vargas and Moustakas and Herrera being unavailable helps Q, Frazier and Robertson to a large extent.

Shark is expensive and more of a 3 than a 2, at his best.

The wild card here continues to be Yu Darvish as an impending FA, and Verlander for rich teams who'd rather take on a big contract than lose top prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 12:31 AM)

Still 21st in fWAR, last debacle including two runs on the Lucroy blooper against Swarzak didn't hurt him that much.

4.07 fip, 4.21 xfip

For the moment, no way the Royals trade everyone just 1 1/2 gb and tied with the Twins....so Vargas and Moustakas and Herrera being unavailable helps Q, Frazier and Robertson to a large extent.

The wild card here continues to be Yu Darvish as an impending FA, and Verlander for rich teams who'd rather take on a big contract than lose top prospects.

It is reported that the Tigers want top prospects and to dump Verlander's salary as well.

4.07 fip, 4.21 xfip

Don't have the link but Rangers supposedly not interested in trading Darvish. Really want to extend him even if they fall out of it.

4.07 fip, 4.21 xfip

Most rich teams still have luxury tax concerns. While I don't have the numbers in front of me, Quintana is like a $6M hit per year while Verlander is $20M+. And I fully expect the Tigers to want a quality return despite that hefty price tag. To me, Q is a completely different asset and one only slightly impacted by Verlander. If Cole went on the market, that would be a different story though.