Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
I agree Frazier is probably expendable to them. I don't want him as a headliner for Q though. I'd rather the Sox target guys like Eloy or Brinson to headline a deal.

Frazier's stock is down a bit, but I still really like him. Would need better 2nd & 3rd pieces if he were the headliner.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quintana not letting trade talk sway focus https://t.co/bQXgSBkmzY via @mlb

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/883958912365596672

"With scouts from the Yankees, Cardinals, Orioles, Royals, Angels and Blue Jays among the group in attendance, Quintana yielded three runs on five hits. Two of those runs came via Nolan Arenado's first-inning home run, with Quintana retiring 14 of the next 16."

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

Tied at 19th/20th with Jason Vargas at 2.0 fWAR.

4.01/4.13 fip and xfip.

26th in dips.

But Vargas 4.0 bwar and Quintana only 1.0 in that category.

Era plus from 126 to 95 this year. Whip up nearly 0.16.

Would A's also sell try to high on Manaea?

What is Shark's real value...his stats are so out of whack this year, and then you have his contract to deal with.

Packages I would take for Quintana:

HOU: Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez

NYY: Frazier, Adams, Andujar, Abreu

MIL: Brinson, Ortiz, Diaz

CHC: Jimenez, Cease, Candelario, Perlaza

ATL: Acuna, Anderson, Riley

Any of these riduculous? Yankees give up four top 10 guys, but Frazier is a cut below those other OFs based on the most recent mid-year prospect rankings. And it would clear three spots from their 40 man roster crunch.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Packages I would take for Quintana:

HOU: Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez

NYY: Frazier, Adams, Andujar, Abreu

MIL: Brinson, Ortiz, Diaz

CHC: Jimenez, Cease, Candelario, Perlaza

ATL: Acuna, Anderson, Riley

Any of these riduculous? Yankees give up four top 10 guys, but Frazier is a cut below those other OFs based on the most recent mid-year prospect rankings. And it would clear three spots from their 40 man roster crunch.

I like your Yankees proposal the best. Was tough because you included Whitley with Tucker and Whitley is the pitcher I've had my eye on since last winter so I struggled with which I thought was the best proposal. But man, Whitley would fit right in with Hansen and Dunning in Winston-Salem.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Hit and Run‏

@HitAndRun670

.@Mike_Ferrin predicts Jose Quintana ends up with the #Rockies. #WhiteSox

Riley Pint would be a good addition to a team with Jake Burger and Seth Beer. Come to think of it, if the Rockies got Beer the opportunities would be endless. Pint and Beer playing at Coors!

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Riley Pint would be a good addition to a team with Jake Burger and Seth Beer. Come to think of it, if the Rockies got Beer the opportunities would be endless. Pint and Beer playing at Coors!

Don't forget the Jameson (Fisher).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
Rodgers or bust if the Rockies want Quintana. Pint is not nearly good enough to be the headliner at this point.

I understand what your point is here, but just in the last 6 months or so, our perspective on so many of these guys' perceived value has been altered.

That will certainly happen AFTER many of these guys have been traded to us as well.

I've just learned to not overreact as much to any short-term success or struggles of any of these guys.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I understand what your point is here, but just in the last 6 months or so, our perspective on so many of these guys' perceived value has been altered.

That will certainly happen AFTER many of these guys have been traded to us as well.

I've just learned to not overreact as much to any short-term success or struggles of any of these guys.

True but in my memory, HS pitching has never been the Sox draft preference; that's essentially what they'd get, just a year hence and some pretty questionable results during that year.

From the Sox perspective, I think he'd have to be deeply discounted, which means not a headliner.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)

Oh I 100% agree with you. Prospect rankings are fluid and value should always be forward looking. If you think someone is going to be a stud, you shouldn't worry to much about his current ranking. I wanted Kyle Tucker as a headliner all offseason despite being ranked in the 30s/40s because I felt he would have a breakout year in 2017. Many other posters here wanted Franklin Perez as a key piece for the very same reasons.

I just don't think a 19 year old pitcher in A ball who has yet to really dominate for any period of time can be the the headliner no matter how good his arm is. Way too much risk/projection for an asset as valuable as Quintana. And unfortunately, Pint & Rodgers are really the only elite talents in their system at this point. So for me, it's Rodgers or bust with the Rockies. If we can't land a true blue chipper and want to go the depth route, there are better farm systems we can target IMO.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
That's awful for the Sox.

I think it has to be one of Rodgers/Dahl, McMahon, Lambert, and Gomez

It's their 2nd, 3rd and 6th best prospects for a SP who's ERA is 4 and WHIP is 1.3.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
It's their 2nd, 3rd and 6th best prospects for a SP who's ERA is 4 and WHIP is 1.3.

Per the recent BA list, the top 4 are Rodgers, Tapia, Pint (77) and McMahon.

#77 headiner is lite.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)

You know, completely stripped of context like this, it almost looks like a reasonable trade. Why don't teams like the Royals or Orioles get on this deal?

My only problem with the Rox as a Q destination is that we've heard nothing at all about their deadline intentions. Its possible they're keeping it close to the vest, or that they haven't decided, but I remain skeptical that they will add anything significant this deadline.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
You know, completely stripped of context like this, it almost looks like a reasonable trade. Why don't teams like the Royals or Orioles get on this deal?

Because the Sox won't trade him inside of the ALC and the Orioles stink

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
Per the recent BA list, the top 4 are Rodgers, Tapia, Pint (77) and McMahon.

#77 headiner is lite.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=col

I was going off of this ^^

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)

It's the #77 prospect in baseball headlining a package for a Top 12 pitcher over the last five years that is left-handed, durable and signed for dirt cheap for three years past this season.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
Because the Sox won't trade him inside of the ALC and the Orioles stink

I don't understand - if the return is the #2, #3 and #6 prospect, all for that mediocre starter you mentioned, wouldn't the Sox jump at the opportunity to make that trade? After all, he has a mid 4's ERA and a WHIP of 1.3.

1.3!

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
I don't understand - if the return is the #2, #3 and #6 prospect, all for that mediocre starter you mentioned, wouldn't the Sox jump at the opportunity to make that trade? After all, he has a mid 4's ERA and a WHIP of 1.3.

1.3!

For one, he is not mediocre, but he has been this year.

#2, his ERA is mid-4. Yes. Not great.

Lastly, yes, "1.3!" That's 42nd in baseball. Not outstanding.

Jesus, it's like I'm supposed to assume every Sock can net every team's 3 best prospects.

Edited by soxfan49