Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

Okay, I know there is already a Q thread out there somewhere, but this one is fresh and up to date.

So, let's say Q restores his value and has a couple more outstanding starts. Considering the moves the Sox have made, with a future 3B/DH in Davidson/Burger, SS in Anderson, 2B in Moncada, 1B in Abreu (He isn't going anywhere), Catcher in Collins and loads of pitching prospects, their infield is pretty well set for the future. You could even throw Yolmer and Leury in there.

You got Robert in Center and Avi in right, plus if you want to put Engel as a starting outfielder you could, too early to tell with him. Don't know what we have with Tilson either.

With all that said, who are YOU trading for in Q? You can never have enough pitching in my opinion, so I say another pitcher and an outfielder who can hit, at least, maybe a catcher as well.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert is ar least 2 1/2 or three years away.

Personally, I'd try to find another "plus fielding" outfielder, a catcher and either a SS (insurance for Anderson) or power corner guy/1B/DH.

All the guys we just brought in are 3-4 years away, other than Burger.

Still too early to know what we have in Collins or Davidson. Pretty decent idea about Sanchez and Leury, on a contender those are two excellent and versatile bench players.

Kahnle one of the biggest wild cards, for now, would probably hold him unless they're blown away with an offer.

For now, Q, Robertson, Frazier and Cabrera are fairly well positioned to move. Pelfrey and Holland will go, but minimal returns, same with Swarzak.

I'd need something similar to the Eaton trade in terms of overall value. The only condition would be that the headliner be a positional talent (preferably an OF) who has less question marks than Giolito.

For the Yankees, I'd need Frazier plus an arm like Kraprielian or Adams and a high upside third piece like Florial.

For the Astros, I'd probably ask for Tucker, Perez or Whitley, plus two of their recent high profile LatAm signings.

Haven't put much thought into other teams as I think the Yankees & Astros should be the favorites for Quintana.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
I'd need something similar to the Eaton trade in terms of overall value. The only condition would be that the headliner be a positional talent (preferably an OF) who has less question marks than Giolito.

For the Yankees, I'd need Frazier plus an arm like Kraprielian or Adams and a high upside third piece like Florial.

For the Astros, I'd probably ask for Tucker, Perez or Whitley, plus two of their recent high profile LatAm signings.

Haven't put much thought into other teams as I think the Yankees & Astros should be the favorites for Quintana.

Yeah, let's just hope he is trending back towards creating that type of value again.

Today was very big.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
Okay, I know there is already a Q thread out there somewhere, but this one is fresh and up to date.

So, let's say Q restores his value and has a couple more outstanding starts. Considering the moves the Sox have made, with a future 3B/DH in Davidson/Burger, SS in Anderson, 2B in Moncada, 1B in Abreu (He isn't going anywhere), Catcher in Collins and loads of pitching prospects, their infield is pretty well set for the future. You could even throw Yolmer and Leury in there.

You got Robert in Center and Avi in right, plus if you want to put Engel as a starting outfielder you could, too early to tell with him. Don't know what we have with Tilson either.

With all that said, who are YOU trading for in Q? You can never have enough pitching in my opinion, so I say another pitcher and an outfielder who can hit, at least, maybe a catcher as well.

Yolmer and Leury are playing like major leaguers right now. And they play with plus defense, a rare feat in these parts. I'm not sure that those are the 2 to be pushed out.

Collins is progressing but no cinch.

Abreu's contract expires before this team is likely to contend. Sox still have a lot of tearing-down/dispersal/jettisoning to do.

As for Q, I don't have any sense of what the offers are now. But once Q is gone, the pressure on the pen is going to be unreal. Trade the tradeable guys out of the bullpen first.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Yeah, let's just hope he is trending back towards creating that type of value again.

Today was very big.

3 opponents before the break: Yankees, Rangers, Rockies

Go get em, Q.

Q has 6 to 7 starts depending how the reset after the ASB if he keeps pitching like he has over his last 4 I think Hahn comes out looking good.

As for teams that are fits: Yankees, Astros, Cubs & Rockies

provided Q keeps it up and shows that the beginning of the season was a hiccup because of the WBC and hes back to normal

Yankees - Frazier or Rutherford + Sheffield + Adams or Fowler or Andujar + Florial

Astros - Tucker + Martes + Whitley or Perez + Alvarez or Arauz

Cubs - Jimenez + Cease + Albertos

Rockies - Rodgers + Tapia + McMahon

All four of these teams would love to have Q on their staff and payroll. I doubt the rays sell off on Archer and Gray has less control and more question marks than Q and will still command a great return.

Yankees might only have two starts in their rotation after free agency if Tanaka elects to leave. Astros are getting destroyed in the rotation as 80% of it is on the DL, yes they're still winning and out pacing their division but that will mean nothing come the post season if you don't have solid pitching. Cubs for obvious reasons. Rockies young rotation is going to hit a wall soon and if they plan on making october they're going to need to have someone in that rotation they can count on.

I will take a stab at it. I want positional talent and realize the higher failure rate the further away you are from MLB. I am also putting an emphasis on this years performance vs pre season rankings. While Q's peripherals are not bad, I wish he was sitting as an obvious allstar.

From Houston: Tucker OF AA, Whitley RHP A , F Perez RHP A+, Alvarez 1b A, C Perez LHP A, 5 players because so many are so far away and riskier. Could balance numbers with one or two of our less impressive minor leaguers to potentially help 40 man issues if necessary.

From NYY: Adams RHP AAA, Fowler OF AAA, Andujar 3b AAA and a flier as I had many say three prospects wasn't enough but all three are 22 and would be probable starters in our lineup by the middle of 2018.

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:09 PM)
Brown, #3, Brooklyn's 2018 #1, & Kings 2019.

That would definitely get declined, but I know a guy who could get you Kris Dunn, a draft pick, and a guy with a torn ACL with 1 year on his contract.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)

I still think you need infielders:

-It is not clear if burger can stay at third

-some scouts like moncada better in the OF

- anderson can't hit

Get middle infield prospects and maybe CF prospects. Those later can still move to corners but corner guys can't move up the middle. Also another SP prospect wouldn't be bad. They have pitching depth but giolito, Kopech and even Lopez all have some "reliever" risk to them. I think ideal would be a package of a SP prospect and a very good middle infield prospect.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
That's an interesting point I haven't seen anywhere. I don't see Q moving in the next 10 days or anything, but IF that somehow did happen, and there was still a plan to move guys like Robertson, Kanhle, Swarz, ect...you better be careful because the starting rotation probably isn't going to give you much on a game to game basis, and that bullpen ERA is going to start to rise.

We do have a guy named Carlos Rodon on the verge of coming back.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:09 AM)
I will take a stab at it. I want positional talent and realize the higher failure rate the further away you are from MLB. I am also putting an emphasis on this years performance vs pre season rankings. While Q's peripherals are not bad, I wish he was sitting as an obvious allstar.

From Houston: Tucker OF AA, Whitley RHP A , F Perez RHP A+, Alvarez 1b A, C Perez LHP A, 5 players because so many are so far away and riskier. Could balance numbers with one or two of our less impressive minor leaguers to potentially help 40 man issues if necessary.

From NYY: Adams RHP AAA, Fowler OF AAA, Andujar 3b AAA and a flier as I had many say three prospects wasn't enough but all three are 22 and would be probable starters in our lineup by the middle of 2018.

That Astros package is so much better than the Yankees package and not realistic IMO. You're not getting Tucker (a true blue chip prospect in AA), two more top 100 prospects with big upsides in Perez & Whitley, plus two high profile but young LatAm guys. Take out one or Whitley or Perez and you may have something workable there.

I would be incredibly dissapointed with that Yankees return. All three guys are nice prospects, but there isn't a single blue chipper in there. At the very least I'd need another interesting prospect to even consider such a deal. And on a worrisome note, Fowler & Andujar are not patient hitters. We can't keep adding players like that. All the guys on our roster who may be around for our next contender all sport BB rates at or below 6%. Fowler & Anjudar are simply more of the same and that's poor roster construction IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:29 AM)
This system is fairly thin in the OF. The Yankees have a glut of young OF talent and need a cost controlled TOR SP. Frazier, Rutherford, and Fowler would be a good return for Q.

They're not gutting all their OF talent in one trade and they're not trading both Frazier and Fowler at this time either. They need one of those guys as depth and potentially a 2018 starter.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 07:42 AM)
I'm still not giving up on Schwarber. The Cubs fans are down on him right now, so this is the perfect time to trade for him.

Schwarber, Eloy Jimenez, and Dylan Cease.

I think if you get Eloy, he's the headliner and you just take a lottery ticket or two with him. They aren't going to turn Schwarber in to a throw-in. But that's what i would want the most - Q for Eloy in some fashion.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 07:42 AM)
I'm still not giving up on Schwarber. The Cubs fans are down on him right now, so this is the perfect time to trade for him.

Schwarber, Eloy Jimenez, and Dylan Cease.

You get Kyle or Eloy with Dylan, never all three. I pass hard on Kyle. I'd love Eloy but I would want Jamier instead of Dylan

Javier Baez? Jamier?

They're not going to risk that move with Zobrist starting to decline. He gives them way too much flexibility, although sending Leury to the Cubs would help to somewhat mitigate that loss.

I assume now you mean Candelario?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

23rd in fWAR now. 4.07/4.20 fip and xfip.

Yankees' start next week is YUGE.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
I think if you get Eloy, he's the headliner and you just take a lottery ticket or two with him. They aren't going to turn Schwarber in to a throw-in. But that's what i would want the most - Q for Eloy in some fashion.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
You get Kyle or Eloy with Dylan, never all three. I pass hard on Kyle. I'd love Eloy but I would want Jamier instead of Dylan

They could always add Kahnle. Quality relievers are worth gold if you're in a playoff run.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 05:36 AM)
Can we schedule the rotation so that Q misses Coors Field? That can do no good for his trade value

Just a prediction, but I think this is how it lays out Quintana starts before 7/31:

6-27 vs Yankees

7-2 vs Rangers

7-8 at Rockies

7-18 vs Dodgers

7-24 at Cubs

7-29 vs Indians

I think they'll stay away from 7-31 being his start date for obvious reasons, and 7-30 is Hall of Fame day, where I think MLB will tell teams not to take away from that. The Sox have a day game while the speeches are going on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
Projected fWAR

Q, 3.7

Kahnle, 2.5

Swarzak, 2.0

Robertson, 1.6

Pelfrey, 1.6

5.3 Avi

4.8 Leury

2.6 Abreu

2.5 Yolmer

2.0 Davidson

1.9 Frazier

0.9 Narvaez

-0.4 Anderson

-0.9 Saladino

-1.0 Cabrera

Where did you get these from? I know Melky's at -0.5 WAR, but I find it hard to believe he won't get better.