Can Illinois Survive?

greg775

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 04:23 AM)
Wow, Fenwick is over $15k.

I remember when I went there it was something like $5,500-6k...so it has basically tripled in 20 years.

f***, I can't believe how old I am...

Whoa. How can Fenwick be 4,000 more than Rice?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
I was checking Websites. Bro Rice is 11,500 a year. Benet is 11,800. Obviously these schools try to stay in similar price ranges. I loved reading some of the material on costs. You get 300 bucks off any additional kids in the family. Whoopie. 300 bucks cheaper for a second kid and third kid. The one that really got me is if you score in the 98 to 100 percentile of Rice's entrance exam you get something like 3000 bucks off. However you have to maintain a 3.9 GPA or better to keep the discount. First of all 3000 isn't even that much when u are paying 11,500. Second of all, that's pretty wild making sure the kid gets a 3.9.

Unless things have changed since the early 2000's, a 3.9 isn't as difficult at Rice as it seems. Honors classes when I was there were based on a 5.0 scale. So a 3.9 is basically a 'b' average.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
How are the property taxes? My wife and I are looking to move to the Glen Ellyn/Wheaton area, and the property taxes for even moderately priced homes are $8,000 per year.

Property taxes are probably a quarter of that out here.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Unless things have changed since the early 2000's, a 3.9 isn't as difficult at Rice as it seems. Honors classes when I was there were based on a 5.0 scale. So a 3.9 is basically a 'b' average.

If you are like most on here you probably will be appalled and furious that I also went to Rice, since I am a despised person. I can't think of one poster who likes me, though fathom and caulfield seem to tolerate me. Brother Rice ... the only school in the world that would make poor Mt. Greenwood kids take swimming first hour after walking a mile to school on a 10 below zero day and freezing one's butt off. I joke. I think it's a fine school.

p.s.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! Please toast me during your dinners, unless it's a Bud product. I am one of 5 percent of the population allergic to Bud or Bud Light. If I have one I immediately get a headache (google it). I am OK with all Miller products.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
If you are like most on here you probably will be appalled and furious that I also went to Rice, since I am a despised person. I can't think of one poster who likes me, though fathom and caulfield seem to tolerate me. Brother Rice ... the only school in the world that would make poor Mt. Greenwood kids take swimming first hour after walking a mile to school on a 10 below zero day and freezing one's butt off.

p.s.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! Please toast me during your dinners, unless it's a Bud product. I am one of 5 percent of the population allergic to Bud or Bud Light. If I have one I immediately get a headache (google it). I am OK with all Miller products.

I like you greg as a matter of fact I think we may have been classmates.

The previous poster is correct. A GPA of 3.9 is not what it was years ago.

At Marist it is possible with enough AP classes to graduate with a 5.5 out of 4.0 I think at Rice the highest you could get is 4.8 out of 5.0

The southern catholic schools are all about be hit really hard times.

Alum are all that are keeping Leo open.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:27 PM)
I like you greg as a matter of fact I think we may have been classmates.

The previous poster is correct. A GPA of 3.9 is not what it was years ago.

At Marist it is possible with enough AP classes to graduate with a 5.5 out of 4.0 I think at Rice the highest you could get is 4.8 out of 5.0

The southern catholic schools are all about be hit really hard times.

Alum are all that are keeping Leo open.

Thanks Harry. I still am planning on getting to a home football game one of these seasons. If you are in the area you should come by the same game.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Just from what I hear being on the south side, Marist is the only catholic school that is totally safe. My uncle is an active alum at Leo and apparently it's not looking good there.

Damn. Leo closing its doors would suck. Rice and McAuley at least have the sister school/brother school relationship going on with property so close by. I wonder if ultimately the two of them would bail each other out and merge campuses if it gets to that point. I guess they are at the mercy of the city. If everybody moves out or if the neighborhood dynamics totally change and there are no more kids, they are doomed. Of course everybody knows they recruit (at least the big time sports athletes, lol).

Tax and spending/budget bills passed the house and Senate, but rauner vetoed.

Senate will likely override veto later today and House will do so tomorrow. We might actually get a budget for the first time in three years!

e: Senate overrode the veto, House doesn't have a quorum today and will take up the measure later in the week.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
How could you get a 5.5 on a 4 scale? There's usually 6 classes with one being gym. A in 5 AP/Honors and A in Gym = 5x5 + 4x1 = 29/6 = 4.833.

One of my best friends had a 4.8 GPA and a 31 ACT and wanted to go to the Air Force or Navy to be a pilot. He didn't get in to either. He settled for U of I where he then settled for booze.

Gym ends in year three although religion is not weighted but the AP classes can get 6 points v honors 5.....I think I saw that

Chicago needs a voucher system. Marist is safe as is McAuley out south.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
Wow, Fenwick is over $15k.

I remember when I went there it was something like $5,500-6k...so it has basically tripled in 20 years.

f***, I can't believe how old I am...

Yuup. And its probably going up since demand is pretty high.

So, Rauner vetoed the budget bill, and senate overrides his veto which means now it goes to the House for a vote. How many more power checks can occur before this bill is actually put into motion? If House approves the bill, can Rauner do anything else?

What a mess

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
So, Rauner vetoed the budget bill, and senate overrides his veto which means now it goes to the House for a vote. How many more power checks can occur before this bill is actually put into motion? If House approves the bill, can Rauner do anything else?

What a mess

Its a joke.

So, Rauner vetoed the budget bill, and senate overrides his veto which means now it goes to the House for

A vote. How many more power checks can occur before this bill is actually put into motion? If House approves

the bill, can Rauner do anything else?

What a mess

House will be picking it up as early as today. If the veto override passes the House, then it's done. I don't know if there are specific implementation dates within the bill for when tax increases go into effect etc., but it'll be the law and we won't be running on court-ordered spending anymore.

It seems like in order to really fix Illinois' structural problems, a constitutional convention needs to be called so that the state's constitution can be rewritten. It's not really possible to fix the broken funding/taxation system or really address the existing pension issues without one.

eta: this guy seems like a pretty good source of what's happening in the capitol

https://capitolfax.com/

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
House will be picking it up as early as today. If the veto override passes the House, then it's done. I don't know if there are specific implementation dates within the bill for when tax increases go into effect etc., but it'll be the law and we won't be running on court-ordered spending anymore.

It seems like in order to really fix Illinois' structural problems, a constitutional convention needs to be called so that the state's constitution can be rewritten. It's not really possible to fix the broken funding/taxation system or really address the existing pension issues without one.

eta: this guy seems like a pretty good source of what's happening in the capitol

There needs to be pretty large reform, but Madigan wont allow it. Because he's awful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)

CapFax is the best site out there. Rich Miller knows Illinois politics inside and outside. He also has really good sources inside the capital.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
There needs to be pretty large reform, but Madigan wont allow it. Because he's awful.

Part of the problem is that Madigan also helped write the 1970 Constitution, so it's his baby and he doesn't want to let it die.

What a mess

If both houses override, it becomes law. See also Rock, Schoolhouse.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
CapFax is the best site out there. Rich Miller knows Illinois politics inside and outside. He also has really good sources inside the capital.

Part of the problem is that Madigan also helped write the 1970 Constitution, so it's his baby and he doesn't want to let it die.

The state has a ton of systemic problems that the Illinois Dems don't want to acknowledge. They would rather keep spending taxpayer money versus fixing them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
The state has a ton of systemic problems that the Illinois Dems don't want to acknowledge. They would rather keep spending taxpayer money versus fixing them.

As opposed to the supposed austerity-driven Republican Congress, that wants to increase defense spending at least 10% without having any noteworthy (non hidden) plan almost half a year in for what to do about Russia, North Korea, Iran, ISIS, etc.

0r do you remember when Bush was printing money for the unfunded Medicare B handout?

The Republicans want to give away tax revenues in order to force the middle class to bear a bigger burden while the 1%ers are lining their pockets and vacationing in the Caymans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
As opposed to the supposed austerity-driven Republican Congress, that wants to increase defense spending at least 10% without having any noteworthy (non hidden) plan almost half a year in for what to do about Russia, North Korea, Iran, ISIS, etc.

0r do you remember when Bush was printing money for the unfunded Medicare B handout?

The Republicans want to give away tax revenues in order to force the middle class to bear a bigger burden while the 1%ers are lining their pockets and vacationing in the Caymans.

Ramble all you want, but people are voting with their feet right now and leaving the state. Politicians should refuse to acknowledge why at their own risk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Ramble all you want, but people are voting with their feet right now and leaving the state. Politicians should refuse to acknowledge why at their own risk.

People overall are moving south and west. Not sure that has anything to do with the illinois politics.