LaRoche quit ADD med because of "addiction"

southsider2k5

http://www.sportsspectrum.com/articles/the...e-adam-laroche/

But as I got home that night I was hit with the realization that something did in fact have a grip on my life. It wasn’t a street drug, it wasn’t very dangerous, but it had determined my lifestyle for many years. For the last fifteen years, I had been on medication for ADD. I needed something to help my brain function properly—something that would allow me to focus. I began taking Adderall about four years into my baseball career and continued ever since. Never would I consider this to be drug abuse because it really was necessary and helped me lock in my focus, but just like any drug, it can become addictive and abused. I thought about how I needed to up my dosage at one point because my body grew accustomed to it, and how my daily rhythms are dictated by when I needed to take my pills. I realized that what was meant for good, and truly was good for me, had started to take control of me. Right then, I threw out all the leftover meds I had. I decided I needed to get it out of my system and reset.

Don’t get me wrong here—I’m not saying that Adderall or other prescribed medications are wrong. I certainly needed help with my ADD, but I realized that at this time I was, in a way, saying that I didn’t think God could take care of this issue for me. No longer did I want to try to be the one in control, believing that my ADD was too big for God to handle.

More at link

If it's any consolation, I've heard LaRoche, who lives in Ks., is doing great work with veterans. he has a big fundraiser for them and routinely hosts events on his property raising money for veterans and funding hunting trips for them, etc. I don't think LaRoche is an evil person by a long shot.

Who cares if he wanted his kid to hang out in the clubhouse? I don't automatically take the team's side on issues like that. The kid is probably being raised to be a good kid. This is from a guy who despised LaRoche's hitting as a member of the Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
If it's any consolation, I've heard LaRoche, who lives in Ks., is doing great work with veterans. he has a big fundraiser for them and routinely hosts events on his property raising money for veterans and funding hunting trips for them, etc. I don't think LaRoche is an evil person by a long shot.

Who cares if he wanted his kid to hang out in the clubhouse? I don't automatically take the team's side on issues like that. The kid is probably being raised to be a good kid. This is from a guy who despised LaRoche's hitting as a member of the Sox.

Hopefully it's as great as the work he did with those underage prostitutes in Thailand.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 07:42 PM)
Dude needs the extended release if the stress of it running out in the middle of the day was bothering him

I had a family member get addicted to adderol. It was horrifying. I think it's vastly over subscribed as a fix for ADD. La Roche is right on this one.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
"Why do I all of a sudden suck at baseball?"

"It MUST have been the drugs and losing my faith in god!!!!"

Oh cool, another SoxTalk Laroche thread where it's totally rad to make fun of a dude's religiosity. That's swell.

FWIW, I think Laroche sucks. He played terribly for us, and then quit because he thought being a baseball player exempted him from a pretty ordinary workplace expectation. But being a super evangelical has dick-all to do with it.

I can totally respect that LaRoche may have gotten a prescription drug addiction partly from baseball.

Everything else about him is super weird, but I think the drug thing with pro athletes is super valid, if you lose any edge, there goes your massive payday.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
Oh cool, another SoxTalk Laroche thread where it's totally rad to make fun of a dude's religiosity. That's swell.

FWIW, I think Laroche sucks. He played terribly for us, and then quit because he thought being a baseball player exempted him from a pretty ordinary workplace expectation. But being a super evangelical has dick-all to do with it.

Let me guess, you're a super evangelical.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
I can totally respect that LaRoche may have gotten a prescription drug addiction partly from baseball.

Everything else about him is super weird, but I think the drug thing with pro athletes is super valid, if you lose any edge, there goes your massive payday.

No offense, but Adderall can be abused by pretty much anyone looking for a little bit of edge in the focus department. I'm 33 and college kids were using that s*** religiously to get by back in the day. I don't think being a baseball player really has anything to do with it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)
No offense, but Adderall can be abused by pretty much anyone looking for a little bit of edge in the focus department. I'm 33 and college kids were using that s*** religiously to get by back in the day. I don't think being a baseball player really has anything to do with it.

I'm not saying only baseball players can get hooked. I was saying that he's a guy who may have never been exposed, but once he was it's harder to stop because you need to perform on the baseball field.

Either way, I couldn't even finish the article, too creepy and preachy.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:09 AM)
I thought we'd never have to talk about this terd salad again

Why do you guys take the side of the front office so much? I don't care that Sale cut up the uniforms. Everything I've read said they were totally uncomfortable and he warned the Sox he didn't want to pitch in them. In this day and age of babying pitchers I cannot believe they were going to risk injury of Sale pitching in a fricking jersey he DIDNT WANT TO WEAR. My vote to Sale not our front office.

And LaRoche. ... Who gives a f*** if his kid was in the clubhouse every day? Some teammates didn't seem to mind. Some did. My vote to LaRoche. Or to make it less of a big deal. Treat him like a grown man and have a team captain or somebody discuss it with LaRoche. Again he was a pathetic hitter as a Sox. But truthfully I heard he treats veterans Very Very well in his hometown in Ks. Does a lot for charity. You know a lot of people in America who are rich still do very little for charity.

KUDOS SALE AND LAROCHE!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:43 AM)
Why do you guys take the side of the front office so much? I don't care that Sale cut up the uniforms. Everything I've read said they were totally uncomfortable and he warned the Sox he didn't want to pitch in them. In this day and age of babying pitchers I cannot believe they were going to risk injury of Sale pitching in a fricking jersey he DIDNT WANT TO WEAR. My vote to Sale not our front office.

And LaRoche. ... Who gives a f*** if his kid was in the clubhouse every day? Some teammates didn't seem to mind. Some did. My vote to LaRoche. Or to make it less of a big deal. Treat him like a grown man and have a team captain or somebody discuss it with LaRoche. Again he was a pathetic hitter as a Sox. But truthfully I heard he treats veterans Very Very well in his hometown in Ks. Does a lot for charity. You know a lot of people in America who are rich still do very little for charity.

KUDOS SALE AND LAROCHE!

Front office-niks are strange fellows, Comrade Greg.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Why did you catch feelings about this then?

It's stupid to bring LaRoche's religion into this every single time he's mentioned, especially when it has nothing to do with his dumbassery, and also especially in light of SoxTalk's rather dim view on personal attacks of this nature. My own religious viewpoints are irrelevant.