Todd and Melky

zisk

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
No rumor or anything but just a solid read I came across. May piss off some people on this site (well, just Greg).

https://theloopsports.com/2017/07/05/melky-...ed-trade-piece/

This is clearly a propaganda fluff piece by Merkin the Merlin to give Sox fans false hopes of trading Melky. Oh, and this rebuild is NOT a rebuild. That is all...

Good to see Melky has some value. Should be interesting to see what teams show interest as we get closer to the deadline.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Yeah I don't think they will get a significant piece back but to say he has no value seems odd.

I think the Carlos Gomez comp is on shaky ground. The huge difference here is that Carlos Gomez was a stud CF who could go get the ball and help the rest of your defense. As a LF, Melky Cabrera is a good DH. Gomez will also go steal you a base. Melky once he gets on base will applaud for himself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I think the Carlos Gomez comp is on shaky ground. The huge difference here is that Carlos Gomez was a stud CF who could go get the ball and help the rest of your defense. As a LF, Melky Cabrera is a good DH. Gomez will also go steal you a base. Melky once he gets on base will applaud for himself.

Looking at Gomez's numbers when he was traded, Melky's current numbers are better. But yeah, the defense and ability to play CF was key for the Brewers in that deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
No rumor or anything but just a solid read I came across. May piss off some people on this site (well, just Greg).

https://theloopsports.com/2017/07/05/melky-...ed-trade-piece/

What poor writing, case in point:

"Though his beard and “fun veteran” demeanor may portray him as an old player."

😆

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
What poor writing, case in point:

"Though his beard and “fun veteran” demeanor may portray him as an old player."

😆

Haha I can't remember how I came across this article. I think it was a recent article when I searched for Brett Phillips on baseball reference.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
This is clearly a propaganda fluff piece by Merkin the Merlin to give Sox fans false hopes of trading Melky. Oh, and this rebuild is NOT a rebuild. That is all...

Good to see Melky has some value. Should be interesting to see what teams show interest as we get closer to the deadline.

I think the article was legit written by a high school kid. I don't think he has the inside track on Melky's value. :D

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
I think the article was legit written by a high school kid. I don't think he has the inside track on Melky's value. :D

Perhaps Merkin was with the team in Oakland. Merkin enjoying some California dreaming. ;)

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Melky may be pretty average overall but he has been really f***ing good with RISP, in the 7th inning on, etc. I think he can net a top 100 prospect back (I hope).

I don't think so. I think you are looking at a top 250 prospect. Poor defensive player with not much speed, not much power. He's a good hitter who will help a contender down the stretch, but there's not a ton of value there.

Best bet would be to identify a talented player in the low, low minors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
I don't think so. I think you are looking at a top 250 prospect. Poor defensive player with not much speed, not much power. He's a good hitter who will help a contender down the stretch, but there's not a ton of value there.

Best bet would be to identify a talented player in the low, low minors.

His defense is bad by advanced metrics but isn't that bad overall. He has a cannon for an arm and can make a highlight reel catch every now and then. I think he's serviceable defensively.

That said, I'd be surprised but pleased to get a top 100 guy for him straight up.

We still need to field a team and hopefully be competitive. I would keep Frazier for a couple more years until we get some minor league help. Robertson is tradeable and could return good prospects. Melky might go and Delmonico might be ready to step in at LF. He has been playing there at Charlotte. Swarzak might go also. Quintana can bring several prospects but we don't need to trade right now.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:11 PM)
They have to move Frazier. No need to keep him around or re-sign him.

Davidson's fine for a stop gap, plus an audition to see if he's more.

Davidson & his 42% K rate will help this team tank it's way into a top 2 or top 3 pick. We just need another team to trade for Frazier sooner, so Matty The K Machine can do his part.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
Davidson & his 42% K rate will help this team tank it's way into a top 2 or top 3 pick. We just need another team to trade for Frazier sooner, so Matty The K Machine can do his part.

That's what rebuilding looks like. Throw enough darts and hopefully 1 of Davidson, Yolmer, Leury, Engel, etc ends up sticking.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
That's what rebuilding looks like. Throw enough darts and hopefully 1 of Davidson, Yolmer, Leury, Engel, etc ends up sticking.

Yup, there is zero reason to keep Frazier around. If Davidson ultimately fails, then try someone else there. Delmonico & Sanchez are both waiting in the wings and there's always the possibility of claiming/picking up a failed prospect.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)

Oh, I'm aware. I just don't hold much hope for Davidson going forward. I actually want to see more of Yolmer & Leury; they both have MiLB track records that suggest that they may be capable @ this level.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Yup, there is zero reason to keep Frazier around. If Davidson ultimately fails, then try someone else there. Delmonico & Sanchez are both waiting in the wings and there's always the possibility of claiming/picking up a failed prospect.

Agreed that both Frazier & Cabrera need to go. My ideal outcome would be for Davidson to finish out the year, while Delmonico works out the holes in his glove in Charlotte.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:11 PM)
They have to move Frazier. No need to keep him around or re-sign him.

Davidson's fine for a stop gap, plus an audition to see if he's more.

Quit stressing about the obvious. There is zero chance Todd Frazier is here on August 1st.

I think Melky gets shipped to a team like the royals for pieces like Samir Duenez & Nicky Lopez, both of them aren't highly regarded in their system but have some interesting tools.

Even if the royals put Melky at DH thats a huge upgrade over Moss and if they spot him in LF that helps pick up the production by Gordon.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
We still need to field a team and hopefully be competitive. I would keep Frazier for a couple more years until we get some minor league help. Robertson is tradeable and could return good prospects. Melky might go and Delmonico might be ready to step in at LF. He has been playing there at Charlotte. Swarzak might go also. Quintana can bring several prospects but we don't need to trade right now.

But there is minor league help ready for third base. It's called the "Matt Davidson/Yolmer Sanchez Show", once Moncada is brought up to play second. Wouldn't you rather see what those two can possibly do to further future White Sox winning ambitions than watch Frazier saunter off into his mid-30s in a Sox uni? What good would that do for anyone?

Another thing to think about which can help you with your soon-to-experience separation anxiety when they trade Frazier, is to remember that he isn't part of the Sox brain trusts' "current" plan, i.e., the "rebuilding" plan. Frazier, like Cabrera and Robertson, is a remnant of the "last" plan hatched by Williams & Hahn, i.e., the "three year" plan described to us back in 2015 to explain away that season's futility. The three year plan, as you may recall, was designed to maximize the window of opportunity provided by a solid, young core comprising the likes of Sale, Q, Abreu, Eaton, etc. Frazier was a piece brought in to accomplish the objectives of that plan. However, as we all know, the Sox brass pulled the plug on the three year plan a year and a half into it, and have since moved onto their newest adventure, the rebuild.

So you see, in this case, you sort of need to throw the baby out with the bath water. No more three year plan, no more need for the veterans who were brought into try and make that particular plan work.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
But there is minor league help ready for third base. It's called the "Matt Davidson/Yolmer Sanchez Show", once Moncada is brought up to play second. Wouldn't you rather see what those two can possibly do to further future White Sox winning ambitions than watch Frazier saunter off into his mid-30s in a Sox uni? What good would that do for anyone?

Another thing to think about which can help you with your soon-to-experience separation anxiety when they trade Frazier, is to remember that he isn't part of the Sox brain trusts' "current" plan, i.e., the "rebuilding" plan. Frazier, like Cabrera and Robertson, is a remnant of the "last" plan hatched by Williams & Hahn, i.e., the "three year" plan described to us back in 2015 to explain away that season's futility. The three year plan, as you may recall, was designed to maximize the window of opportunity provided by a solid, young core comprising the likes of Sale, Q, Abreu, Eaton, etc. Frazier was a piece brought in to accomplish the objectives of that plan. However, as we all know, the Sox brass pulled the plug on the three year plan a year and a half into it, and have since moved onto their newest adventure, the rebuild.

So you see, in this case, you sort of need to throw the baby out with the bath water. No more three year plan, no more need for the veterans who were brought into try and make that particular plan work.

The Shields/Tatis Jr. move was pretty much the death knell for retooling/competing transactions.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
The Shields/Tatis Jr. move was pretty much the death knell for retooling/competing transactions.

While Tatis would be no doubt be another nice guy to have in the Sox system, let's wait until he does something above high A ball before we get too carried away. I think it was SS2K pointed out that his numbers are nearly identical to Micker Adolfo.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
While Tatis would be no doubt be another nice guy to have in the Sox system, let's wait until he does something above high A ball before we get too carried away. I think it was SS2K pointed out that his numbers are nearly identical to Micker Adolfo.

He's 2 years younger than Adolfo. And is playing SS (still).

If he was a white sox there would be a whole lot less "let's pump the brakes on this kid"

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
He's 2 years younger than Adolfo. And is playing SS (still).

If he was a white sox there would be a whole lot less "let's pump the brakes on this kid"

White Sox fans favorite players are the ones who have been traded.