Luis Robert injured

elrockinMT

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
I hope it's "minor" too (of course the Sox have made that claim a number of times this year to the guys on the big league roster....that hasn't turned out to be very accurate has it?)

Totally get what you're saying--we hear "minor" and see many missed games, but I'm not sure that's the best indicator of severity. I think with them being a non-contender, it allows them to sit those nagging minor injuries for longer time periods because the player really doesn't need to rush back. Keeps the young kids a little more fresh. Herm Schneider is the best in the business--if we needed a guy back, he'd have them back--unless their leg has fallen off--then you'd have to give him the weekend.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
Tax savings.

Now I remember. Tax savings. Robert signs a deal for $26 Million, Sox get another similar bill for some tax, and now the White Sox biggest concern is Robert's tax return.

This tax saving concept sucked from day one. Here is what you do:

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

So, instead, this mega - wealthy 19 year old is hanging around the DR with money coming out of his pockets, dealing with whomever, playing once a week on some sand lot. He predictably hurts himself and goes to the local witch doctor for medical attention.

He should be over here getting big league instruction, playing as often as possible, and getting better as quickly as possible.

But No. We need to save taxes.

What do we do to save taxes in 2018? Keep him in the DR again? Isn't this what crazy people do? Same thing over and over.

What did Red Sox do when they signed Moncada to similar deal two years ago? They moved him the the US, put him on the Low A roster, and played him.

Tax savings. $26 Mill is not enough. We have to save his taxes, too.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
Now I remember. Tax savings. Robert signs a deal for $26 Million, Sox get another similar bill for some tax, and now the White Sox biggest concern is Robert's tax return.

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

So, instead, this mega - wealthy 19 year old is hanging around the DR with money coming out of his pockets, dealing with whomever, playing once a week on some sand lot. He predictably hurts himself and goes to the local witch doctor for medical attention.

He should be over here getting big league instruction, playing as often as possible, and getting better as quickly as possible.

What do we do to save taxes in 2018? Keep him in the DR again? Isn't this what crazy people do? Same thing over and over.

What did Red Sox do when they signed Moncada to similar deal two years ago? They moved him the the US, put him on the Low A roster, and played him.

I really like this response. Can't agree more. That said, just to play devil's advocate, he hasn't played organized baseball in over a year, so getting his feet wet for a few weeks isn't the worst thing in the world. Buttttt at the same time... he could be doing that in Arizona or Kanny

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 05:47 AM)

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

He was also getting HBP a lot. I know those are young wild arms there but it's possible Robert is getting some resentment of his contract or going through some macho initiation.

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

I think the purpose for Robert to stay in the DR was to save HIM in taxes not the Sox. Next year his bonus isn't taxable income just his yearly salary, so he can come over.

Edited by Jimmy3Putt

QUOTE (Jimmy3Putt @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
I think the purpose for Robert to stay in the DR was to save HIM in taxes not the Sox. Next year his bonus isn't taxable income just his yearly salary, so he can come over.

Correct. But I would imagine we won't see a long post ripping Robert for trying to maximize his earnings after being dirt poor.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Correct. But I would imagine we won't see a long post ripping Robert for trying to maximize his earnings after being dirt poor.

I'd also like to add that this may have helped the Sox land Robert in the first place. The Sox gain NOTHING by having him start over there otherwise, this is 100% about providing Luis with a greater after-tax benefit. Maybe the Cardinals weren't willing to do this or perhaps it effectively made our offer greater than theirs.

Regardless, we need to stop with the Sox are cheap narrative every time money is involved. I'll admit I think Reinsdorf botched the 2016 season by not spending more, but otherwise he's been a fairly decent owner in terms of payroll.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 06:47 AM)

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

Good lord.

This. It may even be why the Sox got him.

1. Pay the tax owed.

2. Move to the US.

And then there is real life where the difference between sending him to DR and the US is about $4 million. That $4 million is probably why he signed with us. Somehow I doubt your high principals would have played if he had signed with St Louis because they offered him more money.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 03:56 AM)
I hope it's "minor" too (of course the Sox have made that claim a number of times this year to the guys on the big league roster....that hasn't turned out to be very accurate has it?)

This is really the only concern I have. You hate to think we have a top prospect dealing with a knee injury and maybe even surgery. The official statement is a sore knee and rest is the plan. I will stick with being worried about the possible injury and not question the economics of the signing and contract

There's two common types of injury to the meniscus, which is like a pad that your knee joint uses as cushioning, lateral and medial tears. Usually a lateral tear is considered worse than a medial tear but often times in young athletes if it's minor enough to where he was playing on it, rest is the prescribed course of action and if the pain persists than you go under the knife for a repair.

If it's a one time thing there's no worry but if it's something chronic for him it will impact his career and be something to worry about.

As for the idea that this injury was caused by being in DR that's just laughable. This could happen to any young athlete, anywhere, especially one ramping up activity after a period of inactivity in their chosen sport. The Sox no doubt have very good doctors and facilities down there to evaluate him, that's not even a minor concern IMO. If he does have to have surgery, which is unlikely given the seeming severity, he will probably have it done in the States.

For now we just have to wait and see how his knee feels in a week or two. The best case will be he's back in action, the worst case will be the pain and inflation persists and he has to have a surgical repair. But even then, it's a very common procedure, NBA players have it quite frequently, and as I side, unless it becomes a chronic issue, it's a one time repair and the player returns 100%.

I would not be worried about surgery. I have some experience with meniscus injuries and if the plan is just for rest, its probably a pinched meniscus, which calls for resting it for a week and not doing heavy leg excersises for a few weeks. If it was anything more serious they would almost definitely know about it right away. I had a friend tear his meniscus and two hours later he couldn't even bend his leg and was in massive amounts of pain. They said Robert felt soreness the next day, which seems to imply that it wasn't as serious as a tear and probably closer to a pinch, which should have no long term effects.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
There's two common types of injury to the meniscus, which is like a pad that your knee joint uses as cushioning, lateral and medial tears. Usually a lateral tear is considered worse than a medial tear but often times in young athletes if it's minor enough to where he was playing on it, rest is the prescribed course of action and if the pain persists than you go under the knife for a repair.

If it's a one time thing there's no worry but if it's something chronic for him it will impact his career and be something to worry about.

As for the idea that this injury was caused by being in DR that's just laughable. This could happen to any young athlete, anywhere, especially one ramping up activity after a period of inactivity in their chosen sport. The Sox no doubt have very good doctors and facilities down there to evaluate him, that's not even a minor concern IMO. If he does have to have surgery, which is unlikely given the seeming severity, he will probably have it done in the States.

For now we just have to wait and see how his knee feels in a week or two. The best case will be he's back in action, the worst case will be the pain and inflation persists and he has to have a surgical repair. But even then, it's a very common procedure, NBA players have it quite frequently, and as I side, unless it becomes a chronic issue, it's a one time repair and the player returns 100%.

I sprained my meniscus in highschool and tore it my senior year of college. I thought being in the USA would protect it.