Luis Robert injured

elrockinMT

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
GUYS HE'S OK. His instagram story an hour ago shows him trying on some tight ripped jeans.

Yea... dudes really f***ed up according to that picture:

IMG_4136.png

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
He needs to get out that GAP equivalent before the DR bandits get him.

It was taken in his apartment, which looks nicer than mine. And here I thought they all play in sand lots and live in raggedy shacks down in DR.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
It was taken in his apartment, which looks nicer than mine. And here I thought they all play in sand lots and live in raggedy shacks down in DR.

Also looks like they could be a woman's jeans...someone had to take the picture and write the girly caption...

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
Is age bashing really necessary ? Plenty of young guys are easily irritable and cranky on here. It's not unique to the old.

About as necessary as ripping the sox for Robert trying to save 4 million

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Southsider, you might be right. Maybe that is why he signed with White Sox.

You might be wrong. Maybe he signed with White Sox for different reasons. We don't know.

I didn't make my original post on this subject with the idea everyone would agree with me. No cheer leader here. In fact, I thought the opposite. Who cares?

There are a few empirical facts here:

1. Luis Robert is extremely talented.

2. Sox coughed up a lot of money ($52 MMish)

3. He is 19 or so.

4. At signing, he had not played for a while.

In a vacuum, I maintain that it would be best if he moved to the US.. This way he gets the team's highest level of supervision, physical workouts, coaching, nutrition, medical attention, and real game experience against other young pros of same age who are getting those same advantages.

I realize injuries can happen anywhere. See Adolfo.

If tax rules were so important, then give him another million, give to his favorite charity, help his mom, whatever. That should not be a deal breaker or a deal maker. The underlying fact of the matter is that if he is successful in baseball, he will make a lot of money over here, and pay a lot of taxes over here.

He is not a 16 year old kid like Adolfo was when we signed him. Lots of other prospects are here in the US by age 19 working on their game and trying to get better. It is simply not the same in the DR.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Southsider, you might be right. Maybe that is why he signed with White Sox.

You might be wrong. Maybe he signed with White Sox for different reasons. We don't know.

I didn't make my original post on this subject with the idea everyone would agree with me. No cheer leader here. In fact, I thought the opposite. Who cares?

There are a few empirical facts here:

1. Luis Robert is extremely talented.

2. Sox coughed up a lot of money ($52 MMish)

3. He is 19 or so.

4. At signing, he had not played for a while.

In a vacuum, I maintain that it would be best if he moved to the US.. This way he gets the team's highest level of supervision, physical workouts, coaching, nutrition, medical attention, and real game experience against other young pros of same age who are getting those same advantages.

I realize injuries can happen anywhere. See Adolfo.

If tax rules were so important, then give him another million, give to his favorite charity, help his mom, whatever. That should not be a deal breaker or a deal maker. The underlying fact of the matter is that if he is successful in baseball, he will make a lot of money over here, and pay a lot of taxes over here.

He is not a 16 year old kid like Adolfo was when we signed him. Lots of other prospects are here in the US by age 19 working on their game and trying to get better. It is simply not the same in the DR.

There is a gigantic disconnect here. By letting him play in the DR for a period of time, the White Sox offer to him is effectively $7 million higher than it would have been if he had played in the United States. This isn't about another million, this is about millions... plural. Seven of them. That is what it would have taken to get him the extra $4 million after taxes that he is getting by staying in the DR.

Stop and think about that. They are effectively increasing their offer to him by almost 1/3. Would you like 1/3 more income? Would you be willing to utilize an advantage to gain 1/3 more income?

I think your perspective is 180 degrees the wrong way. You are looking at this as the White Sox, instead of as Luis Robert. The White Sox went out and did everything they could to sell their contract and their organization to this kid. If they had tried to fit him into their box, and their rules, there is a pretty high chance he would have went somewhere else.

If it takes this kid playing two and a half months of baseball in the Dominican Republic for him to sign with the White Sox it was 100% worth it. Period. THAT alone is the only fact that matters. We have Luis Robert in our system because we were willing to give him this set up.

Besides that the idea that somehow because he is in the DR that he isn't getting first class care is so xenophobic and outdated it isn't funny. The White Sox are still staffing and equipping this team with their own personnel who are more than capable of handling all of the points that you tried to make about his care. I was hoping we were past manifest destiny at least though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
There is a gigantic disconnect here. By letting him play in the DR for a period of time, the White Sox offer to him is effectively $7 million higher than it would have been if he had played in the United States. This isn't about another million, this is about millions... plural. Seven of them. That is what it would have taken to get him the extra $4 million after taxes that he is getting by staying in the DR.

Stop and think about that. They are effectively increasing their offer to him by almost 1/3. Would you like 1/3 more income? Would you be willing to utilize an advantage to gain 1/3 more income?

I think your perspective is 180 degrees the wrong way. You are looking at this as the White Sox, instead of as Luis Robert. The White Sox went out and did everything they could to sell their contract and their organization to this kid. If they had tried to fit him into their box, and their rules, there is a pretty high chance he would have went somewhere else.

If it takes this kid playing two and a half months of baseball in the Dominican Republic for him to sign with the White Sox it was 100% worth it. Period. THAT alone is the only fact that matters. We have Luis Robert in our system because we were willing to give him this set up.

Besides that the idea that somehow because he is in the DR that he isn't getting first class care is so xenophobic and outdated it isn't funny. The White Sox are still staffing and equipping this team with their own personnel who are more than capable of handling all of the points that you tried to make about his care. I was hoping we were past manifest destiny at least though.

Thoroughly answered and Eloquently stated !

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)

This is exactly what I have been thinking this entire thread. Very well said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)

Amen and bravo. Excellent post...very well said.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
The underlying fact of the matter is that if he is successful in baseball, he will make a lot of money over here, and pay a lot of taxes over here.

And if he's not successful, which is a very definite possibility for any prospect at any age no matter how talented, he's forgone millions that he will almost certainly never see again, in a profession that offers most a 20-25 yr max life expectancy.

Usually I would have an issue with this approach, but since Robert had been out of baseball for an extended duration, it makes sense that he is eased back into things and is able to build some success.

I would like to see him in the US in time for instructs in the fall, but I am not sure how that affects his agreement on tax shielding.

As long as he is not driving, there is no real issue with him staying in the DSL.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Usually I would have an issue with this approach, but since Robert had been out of baseball for an extended duration, it makes sense that he is eased back into things and is able to build some success.

I would like to see him in the US in time for instructs in the fall, but I am not sure how that affects his agreement on tax shielding.

As long as he is not driving, there is no real issue with him staying in the DSL.

If it makes one feel better think of it as his spring training. The guy hasn't played real baseball in a year.

• 3 weeks later...