Quintana should be kept

bobryansson

Watched him live last night. Given the prospects already here, drafts, and others for players that can go, I think the "start to be good" window opens at 2019 and "compete for titles" at 2020. I think Q can contribute in those years more than can whoever the White Sox can get for him. You/we/I all know the arguments both ways and that it's been discussed here a lot already. I just had to put my $.02 in here. He was impressive. Working the curve in Coors? Crazy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
Watched him live last night. Given the prospects already here, drafts, and others for players that can go, I think the "start to be good" window opens at 2019 and "compete for titles" at 2020. I think Q can contribute in those years more than can whoever the White Sox can get for him. You/we/I all know the arguments both ways and that it's been discussed here a lot already. I just had to put my $.02 in here. He was impressive. Working the curve in Coors? Crazy.

I thought about them keeping him too, but they are rebuilding. He's an absolute bargain, but they need to rebuild and get more position players back for him. It's time to go into full blown rebuild and bring up the young guys. He could become a liability if we keep holding on to him and he doesn't perform or gets hurt.

Yeah, I understand that side of the discussion, just disagree. He's 28-1/2, so has some years left. Can't plan on injuries, really. Certainly always possible, but he's been the opposite of injury prone. Presuming a decent return can be gotten for Robertson and others, Q as anchor of the rotation would be better & less uncertain option than even a couple really good + a couple reach prospects for the 2019 & 2020 teams and their needs.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)

I don't think this team has nearly enough depth in its system to consider not moving its most valuable trade asset. We've already seen that you cant win with 3-3 1/2 stars and below-replacement players everywhere else.

The essence of the rebuild having a plurality of guys like Moncada, Kopech, Burger, Robert, whoever the main piece in Q trade, and your next 1st round draft pick end up being your "stars". From there, guys like Anderson, Lopez/Giolito, Sheets, Hansen, Collins, as well as the other pieces your getting in the near future via trade and draft picks will make up your supporting cast. That looks to be a much better supporting cast than we ever had surrounding Sale, Q, Abreu, and Eaton.

They have to keep looking to acquire cost-controlled assets wherever they can find them. If you throw enough at the wall...

If none of these guys end up being stars, your rebuild isn't going to work out, but how would keeping Q change that? Trading Q provides depth within the organization that you don't have. Add enough quality players within the system, and your likely to find a couple who end up being really good.

I think folks miss the fact that even with a boatload of talented prospects you need to blend them with experienced veteran players. Plus Quintana is certainly a Premium trade asset but we have control for three more years. We do not have to trade now. You get what you want or you hold on to one of the best lefties around

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I think folks miss the fact that even with a boatload of talented prospects you need to blend them with experienced veteran players. Plus Quintana is certainly a Premium trade asset but we have control for three more years. We do not have to trade now. You get what you want or you hold on to one of the best lefties around

I think you miss the fact that the sox do not have a boatload of prospects and dealing assets is the only way to get a boatload of prospects

They aren't competing now. Or next year. Buckle up

After Moncada graduates, the Sox farm system is pretty middling. The pitching side is ok, but the positional talent is thin. They definitely need to make more trades so they have multiple legit prospects at each position, and Q is the best piece they have to get high upside talent. He must be traded.

As much as I was and am against the rebuild, Sox traded Sale so now Sox have to trade Q. Otherwise Hahn would be fired as not seeing through his and the organization's vision of a rebuild process that certainly has already been outlined and is part of current team policy so to speak.

In the eyes of the rebuilder it boils down to this. Will the position players you get for Q be more valuable to winning a world series in a rebuild situation than somebody close to being an ace pitcher (Q)? Because Q would definitely project to be on the staff when the team according to outlined plan is next vying for a WS title.

Q turns 29 before the start of next season. A guy like Quintana probably projects to pitching very well for at least five more seasons which would only take him through his age 33 season. He could pitch well seven more seasons which would take him through his age 35 season. Now even the hugest fans of a rebuild would admit the Sox project to be contenders in 3-5 seasons. At that time you probably will have to acquire somebody like Q in free agency to go with all the young talent on the mound. Maybe not, but maybe. The question is, do you want a 32 year old Q or 33 year old Q anchoring the staff or is it more valuable to worry about finding a Q-like staff anchor at that time (of contention) and in the meantime acquire 3-4 position players would could be key everyday players on the rebuild WS contender?

Obviously the Sox clearly have decided on the latter scenario.

If you don't trade Q, yes you project to have him as ace in 4 years when the team is contending for a WS title, but you do not have the young guys he could have brought via trade, at least one projected to be a huge bat to go with Moncada and Abreu.

My point is ... it's obvious the Sox have chosen the latter course. They are planning on trading Q for as much young talent as possible and if the young starting pitching needs a veteran ace so to speak to anchor that rotation in 3-4-5 years, worry about that then.

My conclusion is Hahn has chosen the second course so it is obvious Q will be traded.

Rodon, by the way, will be 29 in five seasons and Fulmer 28 during the period of time the Sox are supposed to contend. Interesting that they will not exactly be young pups but the age Q is now. Now if Sox contend in 3 seasons they will only be 26 and 25 respectively.

p.s. If this post made no sense then my bad. I do have a slight headache today for some reason.

Edited by greg775

There's not enough depth in the system to consider that right now. It's the perfect time to trade him now. Lots of players in the market for pitching. I dont think you'll get a better window until next trade deadline.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 07:17 PM)
I think you miss the fact that the sox do not have a boatload of prospects and dealing assets is the only way to get a boatload of prospects

They aren't competing now. Or next year. Buckle up

I know the rationale but I think it's too pessimistic of an approach. We do have prospects in the pipeline you don't need 25 a year. One to three a year is super. I didn't Sat not to trade Quintana but only trade him with maximum return. You trade to get better or be a better team not to fill up the minors with young players

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
There's not enough depth in the system to consider that right now. It's the perfect time to trade him now. Lots of players in the market for pitching. I dont think you'll get a better window until next trade deadline.

The longer we go without dealing him, the more it makes sense to keep him. Dealing him at the beginning of the rebuild meant losing him through the majority of his contract that overlapped our worst rebuilding years. That made sense. The longer we wait, the closer our team will get to where they need someone like him. Also...a nice chunk of his value came from the number of controllable years on his contract. The more we use him the less valuable he gets.

That being said, I think they have the rest of this year to decide, but if they open next year with him on the roster, it might be a sign that they are keeping him for the good years because they believe the good years to be closer than we think. THAT sort of suggests that they have plans to add significant pieces via free agency--players good enough to be able to shave a year OFF our rebuild and get us closer to our competitive window sooner. If they keep him--it tells me they are thinking big as far as free agency is concerned.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
I know the rationale but I think it's too pessimistic of an approach. We do have prospects in the pipeline you don't need 25 a year. One to three a year is super. I didn't Sat not to trade Quintana but only trade him with maximum return. You trade to get better or be a better team not to fill up the minors with young players

It's not pessimistic it is realistic. This team isn't competing now, if they go for it again then they are right back to trying to keep their head above water. Signing Melky, Frazier, keeping Quintana is short sighted and stupid

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
It's not pessimistic it is realistic. This team isn't competing now, if they go for it again then they are right back to trying to keep their head above water. Signing Melky, Frazier, keeping Quintana is short sighted and stupid

Nobody said anything close to keeping/signing any of those people other than Q. Nobody said go for it now or even next year. With the current players & prospecs, it is reasonable to be a competitive team in 2019. Pitching is the most important thing in baseball and, wherever he is, Quintana will pitch well for a really reasonable price in 2019 & 2020. Should be the White Sox.

Don't agree. You either go for the rebuild or you don't. I don't see a 2019 window either unless everyone we have right now hits. You have to figure a good amount of them will be busts, or just never reach their potential. In order to hedge against that, we need more prospects.

Quintana is the one piece I will be fine with either way - keep or trade. I see benefits both ways. To me, that the Sox signed Luis Robert takes a lot of pressure off of moving Quintana. Essentially the type of prospect I was hoping to get back for Q, they already signed.

Also what makes it easier is that the expected return of guys besides Quintana looks like it might be far greater than we were expecting say 3 months ago. Robertson has been fantastic. Swarzak has been fantastic. Melky and Frazier might bring something. Maybe even Kahnle. We should have a flippin' loaded system by August 1st, with or without a Quintana trade.

And if they do end up keeping Quintana, he could be our #1 or #2 when we hope to contend 2-4 years from now.

The only real negative to keeping Q is that he might drops us down a few slots in the draft. And we did see how 1 spot seemed to screw the Sox in this past draft.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:04 PM)
Quintana is the one piece I will be fine with either way - keep or trade. I see benefits both ways. To me, that the Sox signed Luis Robert takes a lot of pressure off of moving Quintana. Essentially the type of prospect I was hoping to get back for Q, they already signed.

Also what makes it easier is that the expected return of guys besides Quintana looks like it might be far greater than we were expecting say 3 months ago. Robertson has been fantastic. Swarzak has been fantastic. Melky and Frazier might bring something. Maybe even Kahnle. We should have a flippin' loaded system by August 1st, with or without a Quintana trade.

And if they do end up keeping Quintana, he could be our #1 or #2 when we hope to contend 2-4 years from now.

The only real negative to keeping Q is that he might drops us down a few slots in the draft. And we did see how 1 spot seemed to screw the Sox in this past draft.

Quintana has three years of control, holding onto him is insanity.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
Quintana has three years of control, holding onto him is insanity.

Let's clear one thing up. When people talk about Quintana and his control - they act like he's going to drop dead after the 3 years of control are up. The guy loves playing in Chicago. HE's only said it 50 times. I have no reason to think he wouldn't re-sign here.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
Let's clear one thing up. When people talk about Quintana and his control - they act like he's going to drop dead after the 3 years of control are up. The guy loves playing in Chicago. HE's only said it 50 times. I have no reason to think he wouldn't re-sign here.

Every player is happy and enjoys where they are until they hit the open market and another team offers more money. If Quintana is still healthy and productive there's nothing to stop the Sox from signing him when he's a free agent after 2020.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
Every player is happy and enjoys where they are until they hit the open market and another team offers more money. If Quintana is still healthy and productive there's nothing to stop the Sox from signing him when he's a free agent after 2020.

Unless he signs an extension before his deal runs out - be it in Chicago or with whatever team the Sox traded him too.

In fact, if I remember right, I think he even said he wants to play his whole career here. Pretty sure he said that back around Soxfest when the trade winds were swirling like crazy.

To me, only having 3 years of control is a total non-issue if you are thinking of keeping him here.

And to bring up more good reasons to keep him....wouldn't Q seem like a fantastic mentor for guys like Kopech and Dunning and Lopez, etc; when they come up here?

Again, whatever happens, I'm good. I know Hahn won't give him away without a goldmine coming back.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)

There might be about $140 million reasons that would stop the Sox from signing him in 2020, if your if's happen.

:huh:

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
the Sox can get multiple years of value by trading him; 1 year (maybe 2020) by keeping him.

Gotta trade him.

This. Keeping him in hopes of us being able to compete in 2020 and then losing him in free agency the next year is the definition of insanity. Plain and simple, Quintana doesn't fit our competitive window and thefore needs to be moved.

I would have never traded Sale and think the return they got for him was abysmal so I expect a trade of Quintana and the return to be abysmal as well. I realize Moncada was/is a top 5 prospect but if the best pitcher in the AL, with a team friendly contract, can't get you an already established MLB outfielder like a Betts or Bradley, or even a Bennitendi then you failed in the trade and I expect the haul for Quintana to be disappointing as well.

Edited by Lemon_44