Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
Exactly. When Hahn returns phone calls and said that Quintana is being traded soon and to get your final offers in is when we see the "heavy names". Teams will not show their cards until the pressure is on.

Exactly like you said, Moncada was not on the table until Hahn called Dombrowski and informed him about the Nationals Robles + Giolito/Lopez centric deal. Boston then upped the offer to include Moncada and got a deal done.

Hahn is definitely a good negotiator. I trust he is getting good value on trades. It can be hard to be as patient as he is, and when you get a group of teams interested one the GM's will be less patient and give in.

If Q goes first, the market will get real interesting. Not sure the effect it will have on Gray's value, but if it is a big enough return I would bet a couple of new names will hit the market that otherwise wouldn't have. What I have found telling is that Houston seems to be kicking the tires on some pitchers that don't seem to be available. That tells me that the Sox and A's have a high price tag and they figure if they are willing to meet that package they might as well see what else they could get for it.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
Hahn is definitely a good negotiator. I trust he is getting good value on trades. It can be hard to be as patient as he is, and when you get a group of teams interested one the GM's will be less patient and give in.

If Q goes first, the market will get real interesting. Not sure the effect it will have on Gray's value, but if it is a big enough return I would bet a couple of new names will hit the market that otherwise wouldn't have. What I have found telling is that Houston seems to be kicking the tires on some pitchers that don't seem to be available. That tells me that the Sox and A's have a high price tag and they figure if they are willing to meet that package they might as well see what else they could get for it.

I don't think Astros believe Q is a good fit for their park

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
I did think it would be quite funny if the Sox took Torres, Fowler and Kaprielian and let Herm work his magic

Way too risky to take on three significantly injured players and pray that works out for the White Sox.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
So basically they ARE just going to settle for the return they get for Q.

To this sentiment raBBit replied on Twitter:

"Can't be sure. Factors in this whole scenario are looking up for Sox."

He also specified:

"Should add Braves have been involved in talks for a long while."

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
I did think it would be quite funny if the Sox took Torres, Fowler and Kaprielian and let Herm work his magic

that would be absolutely terrible unless they got back more players in exchange for that incredible amount of risk.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
To this sentiment raBBit replied on Twitter:

"Can't be sure. Factors in this whole scenario are looking up for Sox."

So when he comes here and says there will be disappointment in a deal, he's mostly referring to the people who think we are going to get an organization's top 2 prospects plus 3 more guys. I never had that expectation but it seems people on here could.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
Way too risky to take on three significantly injured players and pray that works out for the White Sox.

That's probably true but I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
So when he comes here and says there will be disappointment in a deal, he's mostly referring to the people who think we are going to get an organization's top 2 prospects plus 3 more guys. I never had that expectation but it seems people on here could.

I don't know but from what I'm able to see reading between the lines - he doesn't know enough to quantify that type of statement against anything more than some lofty expectations we've seen here at times.

That said, your logic is likely correct.

Edit: It should also be remembered that he may know more than he's publicly saying. We're officially in the "we still don't know jack s*** but there's more fun tidbits to speculate on" phase.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't think Astros believe Q is a good fit for their park

You might be right, but their interest in Gray seems odd to me. One less year of control and some recent injury concerns. He's a lot like what they have in their rotation. Good when healthy, but a lot of question marks.

I've always thought their interest was overstated and they are interested at a lesser cost, but then you are as hot as they are the only thing that could stop you is running out of arms come playoff time and they might just change their outlook.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
That's probably true but I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Me too. They are so young and talented...they could all sit an additional year and still beat the MLB timeline before many of their peers and have the ability to be impact players. 3 for 1...yep...I'd do it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Just throwing this out there, but wonder if Cubs could be in play with the possibility they trade one of their young stars. If they want to sell low on Russell as part of a package....yes please

No, screw russell. Don't want to have to think about rooting for him.

Just throwing this out there, but wonder if Cubs could be in play with the possibility they trade one of their young stars. If they want to sell low on Russell as part of a package....yes please

If they were willing to give up Russell for Quintana then I don't think we would get much beyond him, maybe a lottery ticket or two at best.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
If they were willing to give up Russell for Quintana then I don't think we would get much beyond him, maybe a lottery ticket or two at best.

I think the White Sox should stay out of the wife beater business.

They're dangling Happ supposedly.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
They're kind of dangling in the standings now too...

True.

Quintana is not going to get traded to the Cubs. The deal is too high profile for each club to get past. Plus I don't think the Sox are very keen on helping the Cubs compete.

A smaller deal between the Sox and Cubs? Sure. I highly doubt they even get a blockbuster like Quintana done though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Interesting bit - WSox preferred Devers to Moncada. Apparently KW LOVES Devers. Dombrowski wouldn't even consider moving Devers according to this strong source.

There was some conversation yesterday that sox may have been starry eyed for getting top overall prospect for Sale. Looks like that is not the case.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
For me to be overtly disappointed the Sox would have to settle for a package significantly less than Sale/Eaton

A Rutherford headlined deal from the Yankees would quality

A Fisher headlined deal from the Astros

A Ray headlined deal from the Brewers

A McMahon headlined deal from the Rockies

Essentially a deal where we accept a team's second tier guys and allow the buyer to keep the truly elite prospects off the table would be disappointing.

1. Are you that high on Corey Ray?

2. Rodgers has been on DL, but he played well in Futures Game. I imagine he is still ahead of McMahon in prospect pecking order.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)

2. Rogers has been on DL, but he played well in Futures Game. I imagine he is still ahead of McMahon in prospect pecking order.

I was suggesting that I would be fairly disappointed if those players were headliners

I am not all that high on Ray, as I think he has yet to prove much in the minors so far.

Rodgers might be deemed untouchable by the Rockies at this point, remains to be seen.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)

2. Rogers has been on DL, but he played well in Futures Game. I imagine he is still ahead of McMahon in prospect pecking order.

Yah, a McMahon headlined deal would be pretty underwhelming. Dude is going to a be a 1B. I like the idea of acquring him (we do share a last name, so that's kinda cool), but I'd be pretty disappointed to see McMahon + filler as the return for Q. But the Rockies do have a bunch of interesting guys.

Rockies probably won't trade Rodgers. I would love to see the Sox buy low on Dahl, but they probably want someone with more control, and Rox probably don't want to see low.

Something like Tapia + McMahon + Pint is probably realistic, though I'd love to get more. Jordan Patterson is another interesting name further down their list.