Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
Yeah, by then the deal is basically done.

The crazy part about what started yesterday is you never know whether that can lead to the Rosenthal tweet or nothing.

Nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed.

After so many months of Quintana being on the market, I would imagine a deal could come together very quickly at this point.

Once the Sox receive an acceptable offer, they will courtesy contact each suitor and inform them an acceptable offer has been made and that it is time to get in your final offers.

Not sure what stage we are at right now though? Is this just more interest, or is a deal close?

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I'll probably get mocked for this, but I don't like that Brinson is 23, with the clock running, and has had a May-esque cup of coffee in MLB. I know 35 PAs are stupid, but it just bugs me. Didn't like it with Moncada, Giolito or Lopez either.

Give me Albies and some other Braves (Gohara and Pache would receive no complaints here). 20 years old in AAA, plus defender, low K rate, yes please.

Although, I will ask, how's Brinson's D? All MLB says is that his speed can compensate for shaky reads and jumps, which sounds iffy.

Bad cups of coffee don't bother me...when dealing with contenders it may make players more obtainable because you're asking not for a player that the team is depending on this year to win.

What does bother me is when a contender has a clear need, a seemingly ready prospect to fit that need, and they don't call that prospect up. That signals to me that the prospect may be stale. Now it certainly is a stereotype, isn't always the case, etc. But everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
After so many months of Quintana being on the market, I would imagine a deal could come together very quickly at this point.

Once the Sox receive an acceptable offer, they will courtesy contact each suitor and inform them an acceptable offer has been made and that it is time to get in your final offers.

Not sure what stage we are at right now though? Is this just more interest, or is a deal close?

Probably true, but this set of teams seems somewhat different.

I think the signal we are hearing is from sox, that yes, he's being moved, put in yr offers.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:49 AM)

Between Rabbit, WSD, McGuffey, put me down for us being at that stage where we have requested final offers.

You are never going to have more smoke at that stage than we have now.

The only thing that has me a bit hesitant is that trade rumors/talks have been pretty hot like this before where you thought it would be any moment only to fall apart. I get the sense they have progressed a little further than those previous talks did but you never know.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:57 AM)
The only thing that has me a bit hesitant is that trade rumors/talks have been pretty hot like this before where you thought it would be any moment only to fall apart. I get the sense they have progressed a little further than those previous talks did but you never know.

Sure. The comment about guessing he has pitched his last game makes me think they know something though.

Ultimately, you never know until, well, you know.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)

We all thought a deal was close in the winter with the Pirates and Yankees being very involved. This feels like it could be getting close, but even Passan admitted he did not really know if a deal would happen. He said he would lean towards one happening, but nothing is certain.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)

True. My take below!

The previous hot moments were signals of other teams pursuing Q. This info has been a signal of sox prepping to trade Q. Subtle difference, but it appears Sox feel offers are getting close and want to move him, no longer holding back as leverage.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Would anyone argue Aaron Judge was completely unavailable this past offseason despite his poor results last year?

Or Joey Gallo, for example?

I doubt Gallo is completely unavailable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
True. My take below!

The previous hot moments were signals of other teams pursuing Q. This info has been a signal of sox prepping to trade Q. Subtle difference, but it appears Sox feel offers are getting close and want to move him, no longer holding back as leverage.

I'm not sure what you guys want...this is about as solid as it gets until its already done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Would anyone argue Aaron Judge was completely unavailable this past offseason despite his poor results last year?

What do you mean?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)

I traded Q to NY in MLB the show back during the winter meetings for a Frazier, Judge + package. Little did I know he'd blow up lol

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
I traded Q to NY in MLB the show back during the winter meetings for a Frazier, Judge + package.

I'm surprised by how many fanbases are reacting negatively to their team's perceived interest in Quintana. Typically fans want their team to go for it and trade for impact talent.

Quintana just does not resonate with most casual fans outside of Chicago it seems. Knowledgeable fans know how valuable he is.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
I'm surprised by how many fanbases are reacting negatively to their team's perceived interest in Quintana. Typically fans want their team to go for it and trade for impact talent.

Quintana just does not resonate with most casual fans outside of Chicago it seems. Knowledgeable fans know how valuable he is.

It's because of his name, record and start this year. People of those fan bases don't know about the 65 NDs since 2012

I thought the Pirates/Yankees fan bases rated him appropriately. Completely unsurprised most think they can get him with trash as that is typical, we do it too.

Astros fans were the harshest, but it seemed to be coming from complete confidence that all of their prospects were awesome, which, I would hope is the case since we are trying to acquire theirs.

Haven't met a rockies fan in my life and haven't seen much from brew crew.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
It's because of his name, record and start this year. People of those fan bases don't know about the 65 NDs since 2012

Fans do not think about how valuable 3 1/2 prime seasons of control for roughly $32 million is in today's mlb. That is absolute peanuts compared to what a #1/#2 starting pitcher will cost in free agency.

A guy like Darvish could easily be looking at a 6/150 million contract this offseason, if not more in a competitive market?

If I am a contender and could add a player like Q to my roster without surrendering any player off of the 25 man roster I would be heavily involved. Prospects flame out all the time, with proven players you know what you are getting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
I thought the Pirates/Yankees fan bases rated him appropriately. Completely unsurprised most think they can get him with trash as that is typical, we do it too.

Astros fans were the harshest, but it seemed to be coming from complete confidence that all of their prospects were awesome, which, I would hope is the case since we are trying to acquire theirs.

Braves fans seem to want to steer clear of Quintana.

Hypothetically speaking, it is interesting to consider what we would be willing to give up from our own farm system for Quintana if we were a contender?

I'm sure the ask would be steep, but we do have the farm to pull a deal off now.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Braves fans seem to want to steer clear of Quintana.

Hypothetically speaking, it is interesting to consider what we would be willing to give up from our own farm system for Quintana if we were a contender?

I'm sure the ask would be steep, but we do have the farm to pull a deal off now.

Ha, that's kind of impossible to answer. "If we were a contender" would mean to me we had some great pieces on our roster and the same farm?

I guess I'd hope to get away with it by trading Robert, Collins and like Jordan Stephens.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)

It's the Astros and Braves really

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
Ha, that's kind of impossible to answer. "If we were a contender" would mean to me we had some great pieces on our roster and the same farm?

I guess I'd hope to get away with it by trading Robert, Collins and like Jordan Stephens.

I would think some combination of of Robert/Hansen/Collins/Adams/Burger/Guerrero would be an appealing package

Side note: Ben Almquist‏ @citadelchief 7m7 minutes ago

More

Ben Almquist Retweeted KC Kingdom

Quintana would be a big addition to the rotation, but the White Sox are going to expect a lot in return. Not sure it's worth it. #Royals

Worth what? The Royals farm system is bottom 5 in the mlb?

Edited by steveno89

Speaking of other team's fans... it would be nice to have the best posters/bloggers/people with sources from other MLB team's chat boards on here as well.

An invite from one of our Mods or someone on here with sources looking to do the same on other boards should be able to get something worked out.

They would love the extra attention for their blog/website/Twitter account and would be great sources of info for us all here.

Maybe a separate sub-forum for each team's sources? They can post whenever (as Soxtalk members) or respond to questions we ask them.

Right now we could be asking experts from the Brewers, Braves, Dodgers, Yankees what they are hearing and what they think about the prospects we keep mentioning as possibilities and for their scouting reports.

Who's up for a project?

It doesn't bother me what fans think about Quintana. They don't like him because he's not a big name or a flashy player. Every GM in the league is well aware of Q's value and will pony-up accordingly. Honestly, the GMs know better in this case.