Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Kahnle too. And I get that we need to sell sell sell...but if teams don't match the price on these guys then only a few of them might move this deadline. I would say trade Frazier for whatever you can get since he's a free agent after this season. Same with melky.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAS1AAAAJDc3Y2Y1MmQ0LWExNGQt

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Kahnle isn't a must go, but it would be ideal. He's got youth and team control on his side, but generally, you want to trade all the relievers you can.

I think in the cases of both Avi and Tommy, it will be impossible for a team to give the type of price tag that the White Sox will put on them, especially when the Sox have so many guys they really have to deal in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Just announced.

Fri - Shields

Sat - Holland

Sun - Quintana

Ugh.. I'm going to the game Friday too. I guess the good news is I'll have a good chance to catch a souvenir or two in the RF seats. :lol:

The Sox really have an incentive to sell everything very fast. The Phillies (29) and Giants (34) are the only teams with less wins than the Sox (38). There are plenty of teams with 38-43 wins currently - some will be buyers, but some others will be sellers. If they can deal Quintana, Kahnle, Robertson and one of Melky/Frazier in the next few days, they theorteically should torpedo themselves down in the standings and would be staring down a top 5 pick, possibly top 3. Most other sellers will not deal until closer to the deadline which gives the Sox 2 plus weeks on the competition to "tank" for lack of a better word.

Based on the smoke that's been thrown around by raBBit, WSD, Passan and others, there seems to be a heightened sense of urgency. Makes me think KW & RH recognize the opportunity as well and are really open for business if the right deals come around.

Edited by pablo

IMO, it really seems like the Sox are trying to move Quintana before his next start. The last thing you want is for Quintana to throw a stinker before now and the deadline and give a potential buyer cold feet. And starting Quintana on seven days rest, based on how I recall Sox starters performing on extended rest, seems like a recipe for disaster. If I planned on negotiations going closer to the deadline, I would no doubt start Q on Friday. I just don't see how what his date last scheduled date before the deadline really matters. Maximizing our return for Quintana should be only priority right now.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
IMO, it really seems like the Sox are trying to move Quintana before his next start. The last thing you want is for Quintana to throw a stinker before now and the deadline and give a potential buyer cold feet. And starting Quintana on seven days rest, based on how I recall Sox starters performing on extended rest, seems like a recipe for disaster. If I planned on negotiations going closer to the deadline, I would no doubt start Q on Friday. I just don't see how what his date last scheduled date before the deadline really matters. Maximizing our return for Quintana should be only priority right now.

Agree with this 100%. A bad start between now and the deadline shouldn't affect his value that much but why bother taking that risk at this point?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Has Q been bad on extended rest?

Not sure, but the sample of his starts on 6 or 7 days rest would probably not be statistically significant. I'm just speculating on what I can recall historically with White Sox pitchers and the general routine nature of starting pitchers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Not sure, but the sample of his starts on 6 or 7 days rest would probably not be statistically significant. I'm just speculating on what I can recall historically with White Sox pitchers and the general routine nature of starting pitchers.

Why wouldn't it be significant? If you are saying it's a problem, his actual results would seem a pretty good indicator rather than your recollection , and for his career, he has been just about the same, a slightly better ERA with 6 or more days rest (23 starts), than 4 days rest which would be the typical amount.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Has Q been bad on extended rest?

4 days: 77 starts, 3.77 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 102 OPS+ against

5 days: 67 starts, 3.26 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 99 OPS+ against

6+ days: 23 starts, 3.61 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 94 OPS+ against

So very similar results on 6+ days to the standard 4 days.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
I feel that if something wasn't up, Q would be starting on Friday to get him in out on regular rest and get scouts another look at him.

Agree wholeheartedly. Why else wouldn't you start him Friday?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
Why wouldn't it be significant? If you are saying it's a problem, his actual results would seem a pretty good indicator rather than your recollection , and for his career, he has been just about the same, a slightly better ERA with 6 or more days rest (23 starts), than 4 days rest which would be the typical amount.

I meant because of sample size, but apparently I underestimated how frequently this has happened.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
I feel that if something wasn't up, Q would be starting on Friday to get him in out on regular rest and get scouts another look at him.

Yep. There isn't any real good reason not to start your (by far) best starter on his normal rest and ASAP.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
4 days: 77 starts, 3.77 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 102 OPS+ against

5 days: 67 starts, 3.26 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 99 OPS+ against

6+ days: 23 starts, 3.61 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 94 OPS+ against

So very similar results on 6+ days to the standard 4 days.

Thanks for posting! I guess that solves my concerns.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Also, I am going to be very interested to see who in Charlotte is mirroring Q. It almost has to be either Giolito or Lopez.

The fact that they also haven't announced is itself kind of interesting. Though that's not as uncommon in the minors of course.