Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
B-Mad‏

@brianm731

Rockies, Brewers, and Dodgers coming hard (*hardest) for Quintana right now.

Braves too. Seems "early" for them, but cost controlled front of line starter is important. System ripe with pitching, but want "sure thing"

This guy has no sources.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)
I hear what yer sayin'....but I don't want to "settle" for an underwhelming return. Quintana has ridiculous value...and if he's at peak value...you don't settle. Of course that's just my 2¢...

His absolute peak value as an outright baseball player was this offseason. However, there was not a sufficient market for Jose Quintana this offseason, thus it diminished the market for his return, and teams were not willing to pay the price necessary. Since then, Jose Quintana's actual value as a baseball player has gone down; HOWEVER, there are now several new buyer's into the market, thus increasing the demand for Jose Quintana, and as such, we are probably at peak market as of this 96 hours lay-off.

If Jose Quintana had been his normal 3.30 ERA/FIP self, we would be looking at a load of top prospects. However, due to his slight under-performance to date - let's not act like a guy on his way to a 3.5 fWAR season is suddenly chopped liver - it is understandable that the overall price that we have been accustomed to asking is not the price that will be met.

My prediction is that the Sox end up with Woodruff, Erceg, Diaz, and Hader from Milwaukee while possibly having to include Swarzak.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
His absolute peak value as an outright baseball player was this offseason. However, there was not a sufficient market for Jose Quintana this offseason, thus it diminished the market for his return, and teams were not willing to pay the price necessary. Since then, Jose Quintana's actual value as a baseball player has gone down; HOWEVER, there are now several new buyer's into the market, thus increasing the demand for Jose Quintana, and as such, we are probably at peak market as of this 96 hours lay-off.

If Jose Quintana had been his normal 3.30 ERA/FIP self, we would be looking at a load of top prospects. However, due to his slight under-performance to date - let's not act like a guy on his way to a 3.5 fWAR season is suddenly chopped liver - it is understandable that the overall price that we have been accustomed to asking is not the price that will be met.

My prediction is that the Sox end up with Woodruff, Erceg, Diaz, and Hader from Milwaukee while possibly having to include Swarzak.

This would be underwhelming without Brinson as the headliner, especially if they had to throw in Swarzak. I think a deal with the Brewers will land them Brinson.

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)
This would be underwhelming without Brinson as the headliner, especially if they had to throw in Swarzak. I think a deal with the Brewers will land them Brinson.

The mere fact that things are heating up, with many teams interested, is enough for me to know that the Sox have received an offer they'd be content with and are going around to see if anyone will top it. This assures me that we will get our "headliner", whether it's Brinson, Albies/Acuna, Frazier, etc.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
The mere fact that things are heating up, with many teams interested, is enough for me to know that the Sox have received an offer they'd be content with and are going around to see if anyone will top it. This assures me that we will get our "headliner", whether it's Brinson, Albies/Acuna, Frazier, etc.

Exactly my thoughts, with presumably a hot market I think the Sox will see a really good return and a top headliner.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
B-Mad‏

@brianm731

Rockies, Brewers, and Dodgers coming hard (*hardest) for Quintana right now.

Braves too. Seems "early" for them, but cost controlled front of line starter is important. System ripe with pitching, but want "sure thing"

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
This guy has no sources.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
Can't tell if he does but figured I'd post since his claims aren't at all outlandish.

FWIW, a couple Sox fans who I trust vouched for this guy and said that he's given correct intel in the past.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
FWIW, a couple Sox fans who I trust vouched for this guy and said that he's given correct intel in the past.

If I had to guess I'd say

Brewers- Brinson, Hader, Phillips

Dodgers- Verdugo, Buehler

Rockies- Rogers, Dahl

Not really a clue however just tossing names around...

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)

As great as Swarzak has been this year, he's a 31 year old journeyman pitcher who has had one good half of pitching. If his inclusion nets you 4 solid 50+ prospects, you take it.

The White Sox have top end talent in Moncada, Kopech, and Robert. Who is the #4 prospect in the system right now? Hansen? He's still in high-A and has struggled through 3 starts. The Sox need depth. That offer would provide EXACTLY that.

And, according to the recent narrative that we'd be disappointed in a Quintana trade, that would be relatively disappointing, yet still gratifying. If they ended up with Brinson, I wouldn't be upset, and in fact would be quite happy, but the Sox outfield depth, though years away, is actually starting to show some players that may make it in the majors.

Maybe the Sox include Melky, or maybe they get pieces other places, or maybe they deal Quintana to Milwaukee for Brinson and Diaz. Regardless, I don't think we're looking at Ray nor Gatewood, unless Gatewood is somehow a final piece.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:17 AM)
As great as Swarzak has been this year, he's a 31 year old journeyman pitcher who has had one good half of pitching. If his inclusion nets you 4 solid 50+ prospects, you take it.

The White Sox have top end talent in Moncada, Kopech, and Robert. Who is the #4 prospect in the system right now? Hansen? He's still in high-A and has struggled through 3 starts. The Sox need depth. That offer would provide EXACTLY that.

And, according to the recent narrative that we'd be disappointed in a Quintana trade, that would be relatively disappointing, yet still gratifying. If they ended up with Brinson, I wouldn't be upset, and in fact would be quite happy, but the Sox outfield depth, though years away, is actually starting to show some players that may make it in the majors.

Maybe the Sox include Melky, or maybe they get pieces other places, or maybe they deal Quintana to Milwaukee for Brinson and Diaz. Regardless, I don't think we're looking at Ray nor Gatewood, unless Gatewood is somehow a final piece.

Ray as a headliner in a deal would make me vomit. Outside of big 3 I do think there's depth in farm (obviously primarily pitching). However whichever route they go team wise I hope they land that "star" prospect albeit Brinson, Acuna, Albeis, Frazier, Rogers etc.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)

If he doesn't work at a gay bar then he doesn't have credibility.

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:23 AM)
Ray as a headliner in a deal would make me vomit. Outside of big 3 I do think there's depth in farm (obviously primarily pitching). However whichever route they go team wise I hope they land that "star" prospect albeit Brinson, Acuna, Albeis, Frazier, Rogers etc.

Pitching "depth" as in they have guys who are likely to pitch in the big leagues, I agree. Lopez seems like a major leaguer one way or another, but it may be as a high leverage reliever as opposed to a back end starter. Giolito has a lot of work to do, and still reminds me so much of Gavin Floyd (who I actually really bought into as a prospect). Dunning hasn't shown enough to shed the label of a mid to back end starter. There is no top end starter in this system other than Kopech and maybe Hansen. You can never have enough pitching.

Frankly, I'd rather go the depth route and trade a guy like Swarzak, Kahnle, Holland, or Gonzalez for some talented arms out of options. Remember, that's how the Cubs got both Strop and Arrietta.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
Dude, your shtick is old. Either contribute or get lost.

That post was a reference to a twitter user reporting trade rumors related to Quintana who had a user handle of "gay bar tourist".

Tweet linked earlier today

It's called comedy. Humor.

As a moderator I'd suspect that you're supposed to have enough composure to either ignore users who you don't care for or at least abide by the rule of not engaging in a personal attack.

Contrary to your statement, I do contribute... have contributed for what... 13 years... and have no intention of getting lost. My personality is not a "shtick" that can be subjected to your arbitrary judgement and presented as objective fact.

In this case, my wit likely went over your head and your continued personal disdain towards me lead to you yourself breaking a board policy.

Just ignore me. There's plenty of other moderators on the forums who can take me off your hands.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:46 AM)
Dude, your shtick is old. Either contribute or get lost.

In the flow of the previous posts, his post did not seem like "shtick" Seems inappropriate to teller a veteran poster to get lost.

I want to thank the mods for not banning me once, despite, in the words of another poster, being the second most notorious to Greg, lol...

They have a soft spot for Iowa alumni, haha. Plus I talk $&@$ but not about poop directly.

Joking!!!

Witesoxfan is a fair mod, that said, we've had plenty of gay bar history with Dave Wilder already. That particular club was Burn in Phoenix. He still owes Orlando, Gomes and Silverio.

Edited by caulfield12

Let's get this back on track.

If the Brewers are the favorite, then a deal has to be built around Brinson. Add in one of their well regarded arms (Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz) and another interesting positional prospect (Diaz, Clark, Erceg) and I think you have a deal that works.

To me, the dream return would be Brinson, Hader, & Diaz. That addresses multiple organizational needs while providing us with two major league ready prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 05:27 AM)
Let's get this back on track.

If the Brewers are the favorite, then a deal has to be built around Brinson. Add in one of their well regarded arms (Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz) and another interesting positional prospect (Diaz, Clark, Erceg) and I think you have a deal that works.

To me, the dream return would be Brinson, Hader, & Diaz. That addresses multiple organizational needs while providing us with two major league ready prospects.

I was looking at the same thing yesterday night...heck, I would probably even take Dubon if I could get Brinson and Hader.

We could really use a LHP coming back.

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)

You want Brinson. I want Brinson. Not gonna happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
I was looking at the same thing yesterday night...heck, I would probably even take Dubon if I could get Brinson and Hader.

We could really use a LHP coming back.

I agree. The Brewers have a ton of interesting positional guys who could be a third piece. To me, Hader would be a huge get as the #2, simply because our need for LHP. Even if he doesn't make it as a starter (and I'd give him every chance to become one), he'd still be incredibly valuable coming out of the pen.

Edited by Chicago White Sox