Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
There goes our chances at the Wild Card

WOW WOW WOW WOW

Did not think this would happen, but a great trade for the White Sox

Jimenez is a blue chip prospect and Cease has plenty of upside. Don't know much about the throw in guys, but we have to view this as the best deal possible. We got 85-90% of what we got for Sale.

Matt Rose.

http://www.scout.com/mlb/cubs/story/155894...akes-cubs-debut

https://baseballdraftreport.com/2015/08/19/...s-chicago-cubs/

3B Matt Rose (127) is up there with Rice as favorite pick outside of the top ten rounds, not only with Chicago but perhaps even across the entire league. He’s not a perfect player, but I hope he gets a fair chance to show off his defensive abilities at third (so far, not the case) and big raw power (getting it done) in pro ball. The fact that he’s young for his class is just the cherry on top for me. How real his 2015 collegiate gains in approach are remains to be seen, but getting a guy this talented this late is worth taking the time to find out. As a pre-draft favorite it should come as no surprise that plenty was written about him before, so here we go…

In no way is this a direct comp by any stretch, but something about Rose’s profile reminds me former Washington star and current weirdly underrated Diamondbacks third baseman Jake Lamb. I liked Lamb a lot in his draft year (“above-average big league starter upside”) and I don’t see how anybody can objectively look at Rose and come up with too different a conclusion about his future (above-average big league starter upside). The tools are big league quality: above-average to plus raw power, really promising defensive gifts, and enough arm strength to throw 90-94 MPH fastballs off the mound. What I might like most about Rose is the persistent claim that from those who have seen him closest that he’ll be a really good big league hitter. I can’t tell you how often I heard how his approach at the plate is beyond his years. Fair and balanced to the scouting reports and statistics to the every end, I’d then look at his BB/K numbers over the years (13/37 last year, for example) and wonder what they were seeing that I never did (literally never did, by the way: I’m no scout so it might not matter, but, full disclosure, I have not yet seen Rose play at Georgia State). Well, though it may be early, Rose’s .306/.420/.722 line through 72 AB (13 BB/11 K) is a pretty nice start for those that have been on Rose since the start. He was always one of those players that seemed like he’d be better professionally – in part because he’d be away from the mound – than he looked in college, which ties us back to something frequently said about Lamb back in 2012. I’ve underrated Rose too long in the past, but no more.

(I have to point out that there are some really smart people who prefer Rose as a pitcher. That just makes him an even cooler prospect in my book. I get the appeal, too: he’s 90-94 with his fastball, shows two offspeed pitches with promise already, and has premium size (6-4, 200) and athleticism. Stretching him out as a starting pitcher in the pros would be really tempting to me if I wasn’t so confident that he’d hit (and hit with power) at third base.)

Not much on Flete

http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2016...port-110216.php

With a promotion to Myrtle Beach at midseason, Bryant Flete seemed to turn around a career that has stumbled around for a few years. The 23-year old is now one of the hottest hitters in the Venezuelan Winter League, playing both second base and left field. A slashing player both at the plate and in the field, Flete combined to hit .246/.324/.365/.689 with 17 doubles, six triples, six home runs, 49 RBI and eight stolen bases in 115 games with both Low-A South Bend and the Pelicans. Better suited for second base, Flete has nevertheless played an adequate shortstop along with looks at third base and in the outfield. The fact that Flete seems on the verge of breaking out may put him on teams’ radars when the Rule 5 Draft comes around.

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospec...outh-bend-cubs/

Bryant Flete (video) – Flete is a quick small-bodied infielder with an open stance and quick hands. He had some surprising pop this weekend pulling a homerun, mostly due to the quick hands.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Wish the back half was stronger

I wish at least we got a younger player who might be putting up crappy numbers right now but at least has upside, but I won't complain. Cease is gonna be an interesting follow for me. Electric stuff. Had TJS, but hasn't missed a beat.

I'll say this, as DA pointed out, Rose could be a diamond in the rough. Has really flashed the power.

Edited by SoxAce