Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:33 AM)
A top 50 - 65 league wide prospect with the potential to be a top of the rotation SP is "filler"?

I like the prospects we got and I'm sure that Mr. Hahn got the best return that he could. I'm just wondering if it was even possible to pry that young catcher who's name escapes me (not Contreras) who they rate pretty high from the Cubs instead of Cease.

Seems to me that he would be blocked by Contreras anyway.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
I like the prospects we got and I'm sure that Mr. Hahn got the best return that he could. I'm just wondering if it was even possible to pry that young catcher who's name escapes me (not Contreras) who they rate pretty high from the Cubs instead of Cease.

Seems to me that he would be blocked by Contreras anyway.

Zagunis?

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:38 AM)
Potential. The key word there. And that guy is a single A pitcher you're talking about. For an ace caliber starter on one of the best deals in baseball for years to come. Don't like the deal.

For the record - I hated the Shields deal with a passion, was ok with/mildly disappointed with no Devers inclusion in Sale deal, loved the Eaton deal, disappointed with this one.

Cease already had Tommy John too. Holy s*** I like this deal less and less. Cubs robbed us I can't believe it.

1) Devers was never made available by Boston

2) Cease is a prospect that has trended significantly upward lately. I've heard some scouts calling his fastball among the best in the minor leagues. He also has a plus curveball and developing change. Sox will likely move Cease to high A by the start of next season, and he should be on track for 2019-2020 as a starter or reliever. There is still untapped upside and he has frontline starter potential if everything clicks.

3) Jimenez is a consensus top 10 prospect in the game. Players like that are only traded in total blockbuster deals like this.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
Ok, the Reed thing makes me wonder, and I want some input from older folks...

Back in the day, late 1990s-early 2000s, I was a pre-teen so my actual understanding of prospects was pretty limited, but it seemed like we had a pretty kickass system. Rauch, Reed, Owens, Borchard, Sweeney, Honel, Hummel, Malone, Wells, Fogg, Barcelo...just to name a few. None turned into anything for us, and very few did anything for anyone else. (I admit I may be squeezing together players from different eras too).

So, that said, was our farm system ever like this?

This post makes me really sad.

We were loaded with pitching prospects back then and for various reasons they basically all flamed out.

Can you imagine if even two or three of Rauch, Wells, Fogg, Barcelo, Munoz, Malone, Honel, Stumm, Ginter had reached their potential?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Cubs got him for Bonifacio.

Man they recycled their garbage well.

I admittedly don't know much about him but he seems major league ready as he is on the major league roster backing up Contreras since they got rid of Montero. Len Casper was bragging on him the other day but was lamenting that he was blocked by Contreras and needed at bats.

Maybe someone here knows more about him but it seems the Sox could use more quality catching and I was hoping that he would be part of the deal.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
Not enough for gift wrapping the Cubs another World Series. Would have liked to see another top prospect rather than 3 fillers. Quality over quantity. Disappointed with the return. Would have rather kept Q until we saw what we have with the newest additions at the big league level before accepting this kind of return.

Especially if you are giving him to the Cubs you've got to get a better deal than this.

I don't like playing the prospect game but since the Sox are doing so, you probably are over-criticizing the deal. The rating game can be stupid but Eloy is the No. 5 player in baseball and films of him are promising as he hits some bombs. At 6-4 he looks the part of slugger. Cease is the Cubs' No. 1 pitching prospect. If you want to go the prospect route, you probably can't argue with this one on paper. Eloy in theory could be playing for the Sox a long time, at least til he hits the big payday in free agency. Also don't forget if you throw out the recent dominance of Q, he's been hit a bit this season. I expect him to be great for the Cubs the rest of the year and I think he will wake them up, but you don't know. I'm wait and see on the prospect game, but on paper you get a great hitting prospect in Eloy and a team's No. 1 pitching prospect. Most of the fans on here are committed to a rebuild, not sure if you are or not, but if you want a rebuild, I don't think you could probably ask for more. That third prospect the Sox got has 14 home runs this year. Not bad for a throw in.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
For an ace caliber starter on one of the best deals in baseball for years to come. Don't like the deal.

Cubs robbed us I can't believe it.

Unfortunately it's wait and see. Sox aren't interested in acquiring major league ready guys right now. So it's add two more (on paper) blue chip prospects and see what happens. I love Q but it's possible you are over-valuing him as well. When he was having all those mediocre starts earlier in the season and the high ERA, he didn't exactly look overwhelmingly good. Sox have several players now projected to take over certain positions in the next few years. I can see why you hate the deal but there's no way to positively grade it right now. On paper, the Sox 3 major trades all brought future stars to the team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
So my question is, who fills in for the 25th man? fact, the white sox website only shows 23 players on the active roster. Who fills in for Quintana and Willy Garcia?

It will be announced any time now. They are probably already with the team even.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:28 AM)
Not enough for gift wrapping the Cubs another World Series. Would have liked to see another top prospect rather than 3 fillers. Quality over quantity. Disappointed with the return. Would have rather kept Q until we saw what we have with the newest additions at the big league level before accepting this kind of return.

I'm much more disappointed with this one than the returns for Sale or Eaton. Was thrilled with the Eaton return and mildly disappointed we couldn't pull Devers for Sale but thought his deal was just ok. Especially if you are giving him to the Cubs you've got to get a better deal than this.

This is what hating the Cubs more than loving the White Sox looks like.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:28 AM)

I'm much more disappointed with this one than the returns for Sale or Eaton. Was thrilled with the Eaton return and mildly disappointed we couldn't pull Devers for Sale but thought his deal was just ok. Especially if you are giving him to the Cubs you've got to get a better deal than this.

A #2 prospect in an organization and who is on top 100 lists is a filler?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
A #2 prospect in an organization and who is on top 100 lists is a filler?

I posed the same question to him as well in this thread and he replied a few pages back.

:ph34r:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't like playing the prospect game but since the Sox are doing so, you probably are over-criticizing the deal. The rating game can be stupid but Eloy is the No. 5 player in baseball and films of him are promising as he hits some bombs. At 6-4 he looks the part of slugger. Cease is the Cubs' No. 1 pitching prospect. If you want to go the prospect route, you probably can't argue with this one on paper. Eloy in theory could be playing for the Sox a long time, at least til he hits the big payday in free agency. Also don't forget if you throw out the recent dominance of Q, he's been hit a bit this season. I expect him to be great for the Cubs the rest of the year and I think he will wake them up, but you don't know. I'm wait and see on the prospect game, but on paper you get a great hitting prospect in Eloy and a team's No. 1 pitching prospect. Most of the fans on here are committed to a rebuild, not sure if you are or not, but if you want a rebuild, I don't think you could probably ask for more. That third prospect the Sox got has 14 home runs this year. Not bad for a throw in.

Unfortunately it's wait and see. Sox aren't interested in acquiring major league ready guys right now. So it's add two more (on paper) blue chip prospects and see what happens. I love Q but it's possible you are over-valuing him as well. When he was having all those mediocre starts earlier in the season and the high ERA, he didn't exactly look overwhelmingly good. Sox have several players now projected to take over certain positions in the next few years. I can see why you hate the deal but there's no way to positively grade it right now. On paper, the Sox 3 major trades all brought future stars to the team.

So you HAVE been reading all of our replies! :D