Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
It's probably a bad sign that I liked this deal way more than the Sale and Eaton deals. Cause I can be WRONG a lot. Just ask my wallet on the few excursions I make to Vegas. The reason I liked it is I do undervalue Q a bit. He was rather horses*** the first eight weeks of the season. I know we made excuses on here for him, errors, etc., some balls fell in, ducksnorts or whatever. But until he turned into the old Q with the 10 Ks and I think he was dominant one other recent game, Q was looking like just an OK pitcher. Remember the speculation that teams weren't at all convinced he was even a contender to be staff ace. Don't get me wrong. I do like Q, but ...

Anyhow, I watched tape on Eloy and I liked the eye test (my eye test love has been wrong before). And even though prospect ratings are kinda bogus, I can fall for them as well and if Cease is the Cubs' No. 2 prospect behind Eloy, that's a team's 1-2 prospects for a very good, but not great pitcher.

Anyhow, this is all wait and see. I will never change my opinion on prospects. They bust a lot. Just look at the list of Sox prospects that have busted that somebody put on one of these threads.

I really don't know what you wanted to get for Q. Now if you wanted to simply keep him, I can accept that. But from everything we were reading, teams weren't lining up to give a ton of great prospects for Q.

Have a feeling he pitched bad because he was in the rumor mill for 6-7 months. Some guys struggle with knowing they are going to be going to some unknown team and location when they have been settled in a long time with one team at the major league level.

I'd bet we could've got Jimenez, Happ, and Cease before the season. Jimenez has a good frame just needs to fill it out. I can see him being a big power hitter in the mold of a Nelson Cruz/Stanton if he can hit the weight room more and eat. Up to him to make it happen.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah, really don't care about the Cubs winning the World Series. It happened and isn't special anymore.

Now, if Q pitches like he does and somehow turns in a HOF career and gets his number retired on the North Side, I'll be a bit bitter (but still very happy for Q). If Eloy turns in a HOF career on the South Side and Cease is an All-Star, I won't care at all.

My ideal world still sees us bringing back Q in the Lester role in 3 years, the savvy vet to lead a young team to playoff glory.

Maybe by then Q will be the #3 some claim he is now. ;)

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)
Have a feeling he pitched bad because he was in the rumor mill for 6-7 months. Some guys struggle with knowing they are going to be going to some unknown team and location when they have been settled in a long time with one team at the major league level.

I'd bet we could've got Jimenez, Happ, and Cease before the season. Jimenez has a good frame just needs to fill it out. I can see him being a big power hitter in the mold of a Nelson Cruz/Stanton if he can hit the weight room more and eat. Up to him to make it happen.

No one offered anywhere close to that. The Sox got lowballed all winter on him. Every offer I saw was teams refusing to include their top prospect, or even two.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
No one offered anywhere close to that. The Sox got lowballed all winter on him. Every offer I saw was teams refusing to include their top prospect, or even two.

And the Sox were rumored to be asking for players like Musgrove and Betts last year for various players they wanted to move so it's obvious why deals didn't get done fast.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
7ip 3h 0r 0w 12 k's

Jose Quintana will no longer be the underrated pitcher he was with the Sox. I wish it was with a different team, but I am very glad that the man will finally get the credit and recognition that he deserves, let alone run support. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Jose Quintana will no longer be the underrated pitcher he was with the Sox. I wish it was with a different team, but I am very glad that the man will finally get the credit and recognition that he deserves, let alone run support. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Agree. Hope he wins every game he pitches (and the Cubs lose every other one...)

For those that don't venture into futuresox forum, Eloy also had a nice day yesterday, going 2-3 with 2 walks and a double. 3 RBI.

Winston-Salem, which this year had been a dreadful offensive team, has had an infusion of players from Kanny and now this trade and is performing really well in second half.

flete has also been hitting like crazy and was 2-4 yesterday.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
For those that don't venture into futuresox forum, Eloy also had a nice day yesterday, going 2-3 with 2 walks and a double. 3 RBI.

Winston-Salem, which this year had been a dreadful offensive team, has had an infusion of players from Kanny and now this trade and is performing really well in second half.

flete has also been hitting like crazy and was 2-4 yesterday.

I'd really like to see Flete pushed to AA once Moncada is called up and there is room for Peter there. Given his age, Flete seems like a guy that should be challenged to see if there is actually anything there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
I'd really like to see Flete pushed to AA once Moncada is called up and there is room for Peter there. Given his age, Flete seems like a guy that should be challenged to see if there is actually anything there.

I feel like they can find time for Peter in AAA now. I agree on pushing up Flete soon.

It has been hard for Epstein and cub fans to wipe the smirks off their faces since Quintana's start.

Helping the cubs to another Word Series was not what most White Sox fans wanted Hahn to do with Quintana. He had other choices.