Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t see it unless the team goes cheap because of COVID.  Coming off what could be a #1 finish in the AL with plenty of young, talented starting candidates, either swing for the fences on a TOR type or use your money elsewhere for substantial upgrades (Springer in RF, Hendriks in BP, etc.).  I just don’t see how Quintana changes the calculus much when we already have Gioltio, Keuchel, Dunning, Cease, Kopech, & possibly Stiever as 2021 rotation options.

As I've said in other threads its not the move I'd make but its the move that appears to make the most sense based off what we know about this front office and Q.

Left on great terms, loves Chicago and has friends on this team. Adds an additional lefty and veteran presence to the rotation while not forcing the sox to burn options with other pitchers (Kopech & Stiever). Will likely come at a discount to continue to be comfortable (here in Chicago) and due to the market and his recent spat of injuries can be brought in on the cheap and with club options. Our fan base appreciates what he did while he was here and could help stabalize the back end while we wait and see with Cease, Dunning, Lopez, Stiever and Kopech.

If there is a solid run in the post season my expectation for the off-season looks something like this, EE, Yolmer, Rodon, Cishek and Mazara out. McCann brought back, Quintana & Brantley signed as we continue to see what becomes of Rutherford & Adolfo or Kopech/Cease/Lopez/Stiever and other assets are moved for a young cost controlled right fielder. If the roster size is continued to be expanded to 28 then I can see both Yolmer & Rodon being retained. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was another of those quality over quantity. 

As of today Eloy alone makes this a white sox winner of a trade, if Dylan pans out, it is a huge win.

I obviously knew because his first few weeks in W-S were so insane, but I did have a quick reaction of forgetting that both Cease and Eloy were still only in A+ ball when acquired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was another of those quality over quantity. 

As of today Eloy alone makes this a white sox winner of a trade, if Dylan pans out, it is a huge win.

I still can't believe they basically just threw in Cease.  Wasn't it rumored that the Sox rejected a trade of Schwarber + lesser prospects?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I still can't believe they basically just threw in Cease.  Wasn't it rumored that the Sox rejected a trade of Schwarber + lesser prospects?

I don't think they really threw  him in as much as the Sox demanded him and wouldn't do a deal otherwise.  There were also decent rumors about the Brewers having interest, which could have also pushed them to put Cease in the deal.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think they really threw  him in as much as the Sox demanded him and wouldn't do a deal otherwise.  There were also decent rumors about the Brewers having interest, which could have also pushed them to put Cease in the deal.

Yea, this is correct. When Hahn got a call from Theo at the all-star game and told him they we’re prepared to offer Eloy + Cease as the front of this trade, Hahn jumped on it right away. They agreed in principle there while working out the back end shortly afterward.

Hahn said the two of Eloy and Cease “far surpassed anything else that was on the table.”

That’s what I recall Rick saying at the time of the trade.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ya, he definitely wasn't just a throw in.  Those were the two the Sox needed to make that deal.