Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
It has been hard for Epstein and cub fans to wipe the smirks off their faces since Quintana's start.

Helping the cubs to another Word Series was not what most White Sox fans wanted Hahn to do with Quintana. He had other choices.

You keep saying this, but have zero evidence to suggest it's true. Seems like you're more concerned with the Cubs sucking than the Sox being good.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
It has been hard for Epstein and cub fans to wipe the smirks off their faces since Quintana's start.

Helping the cubs to another Word Series was not what most White Sox fans wanted Hahn to do with Quintana. He had other choices.

I wanted the best deal for the Sox,and they got it.

I think it's a stretch to say the Cubs are likely to win a WS because they got Quintana. I would honestly have looked at it a bit differently if they hadn't already won one and if they were a team that looked like it was a single piece away from running away with it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
You keep saying this, but have zero evidence to suggest it's true. Seems like you're more concerned with the Cubs sucking than the Sox being good.

I am not suggesting that Hahn did NOT have other choices. To the contrary, I am stating that he did. One of the choices was to not make that breathless trade with Epstein and to simply wait to trade Quintana.

Epstein became desperate to deal for a starter. The return was not overwhelming. No one can say that Quintana would have had any less trade value this week than he did last week...including to the cubs.

Quintana will not win a World Series for the cubs but he may put them in a good position to get into the play-offs. Chalk up one big win already along with the emotional turn around of the team after getting that shot in the arm.

Go ahead and root for the cubs . I guess the rest of us will wait for 2019 when

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
I am not suggesting that Hahn did NOT have other choices. To the contrary, I am stating that he did. One of the choices was to not make that breathless trade with Epstein and to simply wait to trade Quintana.

Epstein became desperate to deal for a starter. The return was not overwhelming. No one can say that Quintana would have had any less trade value this week than he did last week...including to the cubs.

Quintana will not win a World Series for the cubs but he may put them in a good position to get into the play-offs. Chalk up one big win already along with the emotional turn around of the team after getting that shot in the arm.

I think the only irrefutable fact that we all can see is that your hate for the cubs makes you baseball irrational.

You realize how much potential Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease have, right? Jimenez is a consensus top 10 overall prospect with the potential to be a monster for us in a few years. Cease still has plenty to prove, but his pure stuff has frontline starter potential/impact reliever potential.

Who cares who we traded Q to? We should be worried about the return to the Sox, nothing else. Hahn said this was by far the best overall package offered, you take it and move on to the next deal.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)

So, you'd rather he dealt Q to another team for less than he got from the Cubs?

That's pretty narrow thinking.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
I think the only irrefutable fact that we all can see is that your hate for the cubs makes you baseball irrational.

No need to resort to personal jabs like calling me irrational and hateful just to disagree or make a contrary point while claiming that everyone agrees with you. Listen man, I feel no differently than countless true White Sox fans about this trade, and I know *a lot* of them. But I understand how cub fans are ecstatic about this and others who do not feel invested in one of baseball's biggest rivalries or perhaps are unfamiliar with the history of the two franchises and their fan bases may not fully understand it or care about it.

"“I think we are back,” Contreras said after the Cubs completed their three-game throttling with an 8-0 victory Sunday. “Back to where we were last year. I hope we can be like this for a lot of games.” Club president Theo Epstein delivered them another ace in lefty Jose Quintana — a blockbuster deal with the crosstown White Sox that came with more than a subtle kick in the rear urging the boys to kick it into gear.

The message, it seems, was received.

On Sunday, Quintana took the ball for the first time as a Cub and validated Epstein’s gamble: Seven shutout innings, just three hits allowed and 12 strikeouts — tying a franchise record for a pitcher in his debut.

“I’m really happy to be here,” Quintana said with the relief of a man transported from last place in the AL Central and a life of perpetually poor run support.Yet, he’s probably not as happy as his new teammates.

Had the Cubs played much worse in the first half, Epstein and Co. might have had to ponder selling assets, rather than adding. Instead, they plucked the gem of this deadline before the market even opened. Quintana has pitched into at least the seventh inning in 51% of his starts since 2015. He’s pitched between 200 and 208 innings the past four seasons, precisely the reliable salve the Cubs rotation needed. And he’s under club control at between $8.5 million and $10.5 million per year potentially through 2020.

It’s impossible to quantify if the Cubs’ enhanced self-esteem this weekend was more the intangible boost from the front office, or facing Baltimore’s major league-worst pitching staff.

It’s not surprising which narrative the Cubs prefer.

“It gives us that extra confidence,” says reigning NL MVP Kris Bryant, who hit his 19th homer among three hits Sunday. “We have a lot of the same core that we had last year, and we won the whole thing. To add him for an extra three years, too — I think it’s a great move.“I think our offense came alive here. Obviously, Jose did an unbelievable job. Today was a great day for us feeling good about ourselves.” In fact, it’s almost impossible to find a Cub who isn’t trending upward.

So, he dominated, spiking his curveball for swinging strikeouts early in the game, leaning on his fastball and changeup late. He finished with a flourish, striking out Mark Trumbo looking and inducing a double-play grounder from Chris Davis to end the seventh, greeted with a high-five from Maddon upon reaching the dugout. “He knew he had done well,” says Maddon. “He’s a low-key fellow, but his method is outstanding.

“From his perspective, coming over from the White Sox to the Cubs in the middle of the season, There’s got to be something going on in there. And he handled it extremely well.”

Link

Edited to add link:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/...6987316c62215a5

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
No need to resort to personal jabs like calling me irrational and hateful just to disagree or make a contrary point while claiming that everyone agrees with you. Listen man, I feel no differently than countless true White Sox fans about this trade, and I know *a lot* of them. But I understand how cub fans are ecstatic about this and others who do not feel invested in one of baseball's biggest rivalries or perhaps are unfamiliar with the history of the two franchises and their fan bases may not fully understand it or care about it.

"“I think we are back,” Contreras said after the Cubs completed their three-game throttling with an 8-0 victory Sunday. “Back to where we were last year. I hope we can be like this for a lot of games.” Club president Theo Epstein delivered them another ace in lefty Jose Quintana — a blockbuster deal with the crosstown White Sox that came with more than a subtle kick in the rear urging the boys to kick it into gear.

On Sunday, Quintana took the ball for the first time as a Cub and validated Epstein’s gamble: Seven shutout innings, just three hits allowed and 12 strikeouts — tying a franchise record for a pitcher in his debut.

“I’m really happy to be here,” Quintana said with the relief of a man transported from last place in the AL Central and a life of perpetually poor run support.Yet, he’s probably not as happy as his new teammates.

Had the Cubs played much worse in the first half, Epstein and Co. might have had to ponder selling assets, rather than adding. Instead, they plucked the gem of this deadline before the market even opened. Quintana has pitched into at least the seventh inning in 51% of his starts since 2015. He’s pitched between 200 and 208 innings the past four seasons, precisely the reliable salve the Cubs rotation needed. And he’s under club control at between $8.5 million and $10.5 million per year potentially through 2020.

It’s impossible to quantify if the Cubs’ enhanced self-esteem this weekend was more the intangible boost from the front office, or facing Baltimore’s major league-worst pitching staff.

“It gives us that extra confidence,” says reigning NL MVP Kris Bryant, who hit his 19th homer among three hits Sunday. “We have a lot of the same core that we had last year, and we won the whole thing. To add him for an extra three years, too — I think it’s a great move.“I think our offense came alive here. Obviously, Jose did an unbelievable job. Today was a great day for us feeling good about ourselves.” In fact, it’s almost impossible to find a Cub who isn’t trending upward.

So, he dominated, spiking his curveball for swinging strikeouts early in the game, leaning on his fastball and changeup late. He finished with a flourish, striking out Mark Trumbo looking and inducing a double-play grounder from Chris Davis to end the seventh, greeted with a high-five from Maddon upon reaching the dugout. “He knew he had done well,” says Maddon. “He’s a low-key fellow, but his method is outstanding.

“From his perspective, coming over from the White Sox to the Cubs in the middle of the season, There’s got to be something going on in there. And he handled it extremely well.”

Link

Edited to add link:

Lmao. True white sox fans. Right. You obviously know more than me

Continue reading those Cubs stories. Sounds fun

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Make it stop please

I can't, man. He knows *a lot* of true white sox fans. Therefore this trade is bad and *posts game recap article from Cubs game that I totally don't pay attention to because it's the Cubs and EW! cubs*

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
Make it stop please

Sleepy. I had to defend myself against a personal attack but I did and I am done with this tread. I think this point was a slam dunk, like a Mark Aguirre dunk against Tripucka back in the day.

What other offers did he have which were equal to, or better than, what the Cubs offered?

There is no evidence to suggest the White Sox were entertaining better offers.

We should actually be thankful for the Cubs. The last things we wouldve wanted is to hang on to Q after the trade deadline and go into the winter with him. It was very clear that Houston balked at including Tucker & Martes, and likely was offering very underwhelming packages.

It is also telling that Hahn reached out to Epstein. It tells me that he didn't love the offers he had, and that they loved the Cubs' prospects. But overall, that response above is kind of baffling. We received a freaking top 5-10 prospect who could be a middle of the order masher for years, plus Cease. It's very very difficult to nitpick what Hahn did, unless someone is hellbent on being butthurt about Q going to the Cubs.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)

Link

Edited to add link:

one of baseball's biggest rivalries? Maybe among a certain subset of meatball fans on both sides. Seriously, the Cubs aren't even in the the f***ing AL. At best you play them a couple times every year and then in the WS.

And the article you linked is just classic "well I gotta write something with a narrative arc" filler.

Personally I'm thrilled for Q. I'm happy he's finally going to get more attention, and perhaps some wins as well. I couldn't give a f*** less about how he helps the Cubs. The Sox just got perhaps the best pure hitting prospect in MLB back and a guy that throws 101 and it projects as his 2nd best pitch for him. We got as well as we gave.

I understand that LIVING in Chicago might make it SEEM like the Cubs and Sox are big rivals but they aren't, not in any sense on the field anyways.

I keep reading that this deal was "by far" the best offer on this thread. Does anyone have any empirical proof of this? Because if the Cubs actually gave the biggest return by a wide margin, then it wasn't a bad deal. I'd really like to see some sort of proof of that, though.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
I keep reading that this deal was "by far" the best offer on this thread. Does anyone have any empirical proof of this? Because if the Cubs actually gave the biggest return by a wide margin, then it wasn't a bad deal. I'd really like to see some sort of proof of that, though.

We can only go by what Rick Hahn says.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
one of baseball's biggest rivalries? Maybe among a certain subset of meatball fans on both sides. Seriously, the Cubs aren't even in the the f***ing AL. At best you play them a couple times every year and then in the WS.

And the article you linked is just classic "well I gotta write something with a narrative arc" filler.

Personally I'm thrilled for Q. I'm happy he's finally going to get more attention, and perhaps some wins as well. I couldn't give a f*** less about how he helps the Cubs. The Sox just got perhaps the best pure hitting prospect in MLB back and a guy that throws 101 and it projects as his 2nd best pitch for him. We got as well as we gave.

I understand that LIVING in Chicago might make it SEEM like the Cubs and Sox are big rivals but they aren't, not in any sense on the field anyways.

I respectfully disagree, sort of. It's hard to call another team a rival when they only play each other 4 games a year. (Used to be 6 on the weekends, which I liked better, but whatever).

You're right, they aren't big rivals, when they both suck or when one sucks (which is usually the case). BUT, when both teams are good (which is almost never the case), I feel like the playoff atmosphere is kicked into high gear, and both teams defninitely play for more than just the win.

I feel like if in a few years, the Cubs are still who they are today, and if the Sox are dominating like they are supposed to, then the rivalry will be re-ignited again. It will be very fun to watch.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)

There was doubt we were going to get Brinson from insiders with extremely close sources.

The following prospects would have beat out Jimenez going by MLB Pipeline.

- Moncada

- Torres (Yankees weren't parting with)

- Rosario (Mets weren't buying)

- Crawford (Phillies aren't buying)

- Robles (Nats weren't in it for Q)

- Meadows (Pirates weren't gonna give him up)

- Albies - this is the only one that there was smoke to and while you always go for talent when it's as close as Albies/Jimenez, we had a much stronger need for a power hitting OF.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
We can only go by what Rick Hahn says.

All other outside evidence backs it up. Every single story out there was about all of the players that each team DIDN'T want to include. In reality, with the two front guys the Cubs gave up, I am not sure which team in all of baseball could have beaten that top two. Houston couldn't for sure. Neither could Milwaukee. We already got the Red Sox top guys. A team would have had to have given up their top 3 with two of them being really high in the top 100 to even have a chance at beating that deal. The reality is that every single piece we have on what was offered for Q is that it was extremely underwhelming. That isn't just coming from Hahn, that is coming from other markets beat writers who were also telling us that teams didn't want to offer their top guys, let alone multiples of them.