Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Those trades will be far less interesting.

Ā 

Its just about over for the non hockey Sox, Bears, Bulls fans for quite a while.

Except for tuning in to actually, you know, see the guys. Like Moncada.

I've been in Germany and Austria for a few week and all he** breaks loose with trades!

Ā 

Hahn and KW are really putting themselves out there with both trades. They both included trading established MLB pitching for prospects who haven't played AA ball yet (the primary pieces). especially the Quintana trade where they gave up a TOR pitcher for the A ball player. They got excellent prospects but none as advanced as the Sale or Eaton trades.

• Haha 1

I feel you.

Ā 

Will be flying over the Pacific Ocean/Alaska/Russia on the way to South Korea when the trade deadline officially hits.

Ā 

Fortunately, all the big trades have been made by the Sox. Just Swarzak and Cabrera, maybe maybe Avi to go....one of their utility infielders, and potentially MiGo, Pelfrey or Holland I guess.

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 years later...
On 7/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, hi8is said:

Holy rebuild batman.

I can't wait to see what other trades come... what we end up with out of the 2018 draft... what we end up with out of the 2019 draft... and what we end up out of the 2019 FA class.

2020, holy s*** - here we come!

Madrigal
Vaughn
Grandal
D.K.

Welcome to the future boys.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I agree with Fathom and others, odds seem high Q will be back with the Sox in 2021. 5th starter/swing man role.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Heā€™s a great fit.Ā 

I really donā€™t see it unless the team goes cheap because of COVID. Ā Coming off what could be a #1 finish in the AL with plenty of young, talented starting candidates, either swing for the fences on aĀ TOR type or use your money elsewhere for substantial upgrades (Springer in RF, Hendriks in BP, etc.). Ā I just donā€™t see how Quintana changes the calculus much when we already have Gioltio, Keuchel, Dunning, Cease, Kopech, & possibly Stiever as 2021 rotation options.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ā 

I really donā€™t see it unless the team goes cheapļ»æ because of COVID. Ā Coming off what could be a #1 finish in the AL with plenty of young, talented starting candidates, either swing for the fences on aĀ TOR type or use your money elsewhere for substantial upgrades (Springer in RFļ»æ, Hendriks in BP, etc.). Ā I just donā€™t see how Quintana changes the calculus much when we already have Gioltio, Keuchel, Dunning, Cease, Kopech, & possibly Stiever as 2021 rotation options.ļ»æļ»æ

As much as I'd like to agree with you. Even with this magical season, the Sox gotta be losing their asses this year because of no fans. I don't see Reinsdorf splurging this winter. It doesn't feel like it's in his DNA, given what we are going through now. Q will probably be the perfect signing with everything in mind.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

As much as I'd like to agree with you. Even with this magical season, the Sox gotta be losing their asses this year because of no fans. I don't see Reinsdorf splurging this winter. It doesn't feel like it's in his DNA, given what we are going through now. Q will probably be the perfect signing with everything in mind.

Thatā€™s pretty sad if Reinsdorf goes that route, but obviously itā€™s a possibility. Ā If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™d still rather use my resources elsewhere and let Kopech battle Stiever for the #5 spot. Ā With eightĀ teams likely making the playoffs again, I want pieces that can help me win in October not just get me there.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thatā€™s pretty sad if Reinsdorf goes that route, but obviously itā€™s a possibility. Ā If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™d still rather use my resources elsewhere and let Kopech battle Stiever for the #5 spot. Ā With eightĀ teams likely making the playoffs again, I want pieces that can help me win in October not just get me there.ļ»æļ»æ

Something about bringing Q back entices me. Maybe I'm foolish and amĀ thinking he might be like his old White Sox self if he comes back.Ā 

Regarding Kopech. I don'tĀ have any names in mind, butĀ what if they dangled Kopech out there for a young stud right fielder...then signed Q? Or are we already overloaded on young guns and should concentrate on aĀ vet for RF? Hmm.

We talking about the Quintana who has only pitched 6 innings this year (Iā€™m aware of his freak accidents)?Ā Loved the guy when he was with us, but I donā€™t understand the outpouring of desire to bring him back. Maybe as a Gio Gonzalez replacement, on a team friendly contract, but the Sox SHOULD be striving for better players to fill out the team now. Ultimately I think his greatest accomplishment for the White Sox will be netting Dylan Cease and Eloy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Something about bringing Q back entices me. Maybe I'm foolish and amĀ thinking he might be like his old White Sox self if he comes back.Ā 

Regarding Kopech. I don'tĀ have any names in mind, butĀ what if they dangled Kopech out there for a young stud right fielder...then signed Q? Or are we already overloaded on young guns and should concentrate on aĀ vet for RF? Hmm.

Given the high likelihood we sign Cespedes or Colas in the offseason, Iā€™d be looking for a veteran stop-gap solution for RF. Ā As for Kopech, the only way Iā€™m trading him is if itā€™s for a legit cost-controlled TOR starter. Ā IMO, we canā€™t afford to give up a pitcher with his ceiling unless weā€™re getting a legit frontline starter back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Given the high likelihood we sign Cespedes or Colas in the offseason, Iā€™d be looking for a veteran stop-gap solution for RF. Ā As for Kopech, the only way Iā€™m trading him is if itā€™s for a legit cost-controlled TOR starter. Ā IMO, we canā€™t afford to give up a pitcher with his ceiling unless weā€™re getting a legit frontline starter back.

I just wonder if the Sox internally think that Kopech will ever reach thatĀ ceiling here.Ā  I do just have a feeling that he willĀ be traded this offseason.Ā  I do not advocate for it, just would not be surprised if it happens...maybe as a piece traded to get a current major leaguer from a club trying to shed payroll?

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

No one is losing their ass.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I just wonder if the Sox internally think that Kopech will ever reach thatĀ ceiling here.Ā  I do just have a feeling that he willĀ be traded this offseason.Ā  I do not advocate for it, just would not be surprised if it happens...maybe as a piece traded to get a current major leaguer from a club trying to shed payroll?

This was written at MLB Pipeline about Kopech yesterday. They are expecting his return in 2021:Ā White Sox: Michael Kopech, RHPĀ (No. 2/MLB No. 20)
The highest-ranked prospect on this list, Kopech was completing his comeback from Tommy John surgery and slated to contribute to the White Sox before he informed them in mid-July that he had elected not to play this season. He's working out regularly with a personal trainer as he builds up toward bullpen sessions. He has the technology on hand to monitor his workload and provide feedback on pitch data as he focuses on the riding action on his fastball and distinctly defining his breaking pitches.

TheyĀ 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ā 

Bringing Q back doesnā€™t, and shouldnā€™t be the Sox big move in the offseason. I donā€™t think anyone really said that. Itā€™s a depth piece, and the Gio example is a good one. Jose Quintana doesnā€™t take this team to another level, but the Sox are a loyal franchise, Q seemed to really like it here, and obviously had much more success here than he ever did with the Cubs.Ā 
Ā 

Moreover, the names you mentioned for the 2021 rotation. We all agree Kopech will spend a decent chunk of next season in the minors, assuming everything is back to normal in our country. Ā We also have no idea what his status is, heā€™s a huge wild card. I think the same goes for Steiver. Now Iā€™d love another quality arm to insert into the starting staff, but if that doesnā€™t happen, youā€™re talking about Gio-Keuchle-Cease-Dunning-Lopez?Ā 
Ā 

I have no idea what a Q contract would look like given his 2020 season and what COVID may or may not do to the market, but I canā€™t imagine the money he gets will really impact this teams payroll. Itā€™s a depth signing, nothing more.Ā 

Quintana is getting a deal with an AAV north of $10M. Ā Maybe he doesnā€™t he get a ton of years, but there will be enough demand for aĀ LH starter who put up a 3.5 win season just two years ago to warrant a decent salary. Ā And even if youā€™re optimistic about where our payroll could go next year, $10M is a sizable chunk of change and will eat at our ability to do other things. Ā He really isnā€™t a depth starter, heā€™d be your main rotation addition. Ā IMO,Ā Quintana is a guy who makes much more sense when only five teams make the playoffs. Ā With eight teams likely making it next year,Ā we should prioritize our limited resources on more impactful additions. Ā Iā€™dĀ rather putĀ that $10M+ towards strengthening the bullpen by signing someone likeĀ Liam Hendriks and add a significantlyĀ cheaper depth piece for the rotation than just signingĀ Quintana.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This was written at MLB Pipeline about Kopech yesterday. They are expecting his return in 2021:Ā White Sox: Michael Kopech, RHPĀ (No. 2/MLB No. 20)
The highest-ranked prospect on this list, Kopech was completing his comeback from Tommy John surgery and slated to contribute to the White Sox before he informed them in mid-July that he had elected not to play this season. He's working out regularly with a personal trainer as he builds up toward bullpen sessions. He has the technology on hand to monitor his workload and provide feedback on pitch data as he focuses on the riding action on his fastball and distinctly defining his breaking pitches.

TheyĀ 

Terrific, thanks.Ā  I am really rooting for him to seize one of the spots in the rotation next year.Ā  That would be tremendous to the rebuild (if we can still call it that...do we call it the contention window now?)

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I totally agree. Ā I donā€™t understand the idea that we could trade Kopech as if he is just some run-of-the-mill prospect. Ā His ceiling is #1 starter and his floor is #4 IMO.

• Love 1