Frazier to Boston Rumors getting heavy

whitesoxwinner

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
You do realize Holland was brought in to hopefully flip, and Pelfrey was signed to a minor league contract after being released as depth? Hibbard and King were potentials in Himes' core. But after that season they both fizzled. King got traded for someone worse in Cory Snyder, and Hibbard after a couple of mediocre seasons was taken in the expansion draft. After 1990 they both pitched about like what Holland and Pelfrey are giving the team now.

Hibbard and King were in their mid 20s with very little mileage on them. Yes they had short shelf-lives*, but they were nothing like Holland. They weren't great, but they "bridged the gap" while the big guns developed.

The Sox record on picking up these old veterans is putrid....they are so bad that they are unflippable.

*each had basically 1 bad year and never pitched again - could have been injury.

I just think some competent pitching, while rebuilding, will help. I am also not in favor of intentional tanking for the sake of a couple of draft spots advantage, while many are (and I understand their reasoning).

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Ball and Cosart?

I saw that tweet. Not sure if it's anything, but could see the Sox taking a couple struggling pitchers that were once highly thought of as prospects.

Lozada is still on the field, btw.

Hope it happens today. Sounds like it will.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
If you were Hahn, why would you do this today?

Just to get it out of the way so you can focus on the relievers?

You know Boston is only team that has/will express interest and you want to create an opening for Moncada

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
You know Boston is only team that has/will express interest and you want to create an opening for Moncada

St Louis?

Moncada can wait two more weeks.

We shouldn't be rushing a trade for that reason.

Guillermo Celis‏Verified account

@GuillermoCelis

Mencioné anoche que si Boston había puesto en asignación a Sandoval, es porque “planean” algo. Hoy se intensifican pláticas por Todd Frazier

My best translation: It was mentioned last night that if Boston had DFA'd Sandoval, it would have been because they "planned" something. Today talks for Todd Frazier are intensifying.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
People keep saying this but do they mean Sanchez moves to 3B? I think Delmonico or Hayes comes up first.

I don't think so. Neither Hayes nor Delmonico are big prospects. Hayes has a .234/.330/.434/.764 batting line as a 26 year old. What more do the Sox need to see out of him? Delmonico can probably make it as a bench bat, but he's only at .271/.356/.455/.811 with a fielding percentage at .908. I'll the first to tell you that range is more important than glove, but that's assuming you can run at least a .930-.940 fielding percentage. Bobbling 1 in 10 balls is not acceptable.

It's much more important to get Moncada up to the majors to have him start getting accustomed to MLB pitching and making adjustments with the big club.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)

I see very little reason to bring Moncada up right now.

The fact that it's not done yet makes me wonder whether it's more complex than being reported - some sort of Reliever + Frazier package or something similar?

Red Sox have a 4:05 game against the Yankees (so important), so you would think they would've wanted it done last night if possible.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
Main reason is I have tickets Tuesday so it'd be nice.

Haha, fair enough. But I'd honestly keep him there until mid next year unless a need presents itself. Let's save his service time while we do this tank the right way.

I don't really want to see him in Chicago this season at this point.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Haha, fair enough. But I'd honestly keep him there until mid next year unless a need presents itself. Let's save his service time while we do this tank the right way.

I don't really want to see him in Chicago this season at this point.

Mid next year seems a bit extreme unless they decide to pull him off 2b.