Frazier to Boston Rumors getting heavy

whitesoxwinner

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
Remember how many pitchers the team that won the world series last year developed out of their system? They found a workaround. Give me a stellar 1-5, trade 1 or 2 of those pitchers if things go really well, and then go sign Bryce Harper or Mike Trout with the fact you have a $6 million pricetag on your starting rotation for 3 years.

Basically, give me as many good players as we can find for the next year+ and worry about the rest later.

i'll take the pitching approach. lack of pitching depth was a huge anchor on the 2001-2004 teams and 2010-2016. They would try to fill a spot trading for Vazquez, Edwin Jackson or the Shark, and create 2 new holes while doing so.

If you always have pitching in your pipeline, you can win. And it needs to be supported with good defense.

Also, at the deadline, pitching has much greater value...create a surplus, and that is a quick way to get positional talent into your system.

Plus, I like the idea of NOT doing what the crowd is doing. You may get a surplus/bargain that way. I noticed that the Cubs shifted gears and had an almost all-pitching draft this year

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
I really could see this deal expanding to include a reliver

Probably not a coincidence that Swarzak, Kahnle, and Robertson all pitched despite us being down. There were like 15 scouts and the game and they were definitely at least scouting DRob.

Edited by Username

I haven't followed this tonight so I don't know if Frazier is still with the Sox. But Sox appear to have caught a break. The Boston and national media have picked up on the Frazier rumors and they are pretty much demanding the Red Sox pull the trigger and give up two prospects between 20 and 30 in the Boston organization for him. They've got the advanced stats rolling and Frazier would have 15 more hits if he played at Fenway this year thus would have a very good batting average, etc.

Let them play the stat game all they want. This is good news for the Sox (if he hasn't been traded yet) cause the pressure is on the Bosox to acquire Frazier by fans and media. And as we all know, Mr. Frazier ain't all that.

QUOTE (cornball @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
I completely disagree. In 2 -3 years would be a great time to sign a front loaded contract for a young superstar like Harper or Trout. Depending how it is structured it shouldn't impact future payroll. This seems to be in line with JR's history as well.

They won't want to play here. And yes it will impact the payroll. Those signings rarely end up being worth their contract anyway. Only teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can absorb 9 figure screw ups. Until we get legit ownership of this team I say no.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 11:57 PM)
I haven't followed this tonight so I don't know if Frazier is still with the Sox. But Sox appear to have caught a break. The Boston and national media have picked up on the Frazier rumors and they are pretty much demanding the Red Sox pull the trigger and give up two prospects between 20 and 30 in the Boston organization for him. They've got the advanced stats rolling and Frazier would have 15 more hits if he played at Fenway this year thus would have a very good batting average, etc.

Let them play the stat game all they want. This is good news for the Sox (if he hasn't been traded yet) cause the pressure is on the Bosox to acquire Frazier by fans and media. And as we all know, Mr. Frazier ain't all that.

Not sure where you are getting your Boston media info but I have watched both Yankee games. The talk is mostly bridging the gap for Devers who now is at AAA. They have two young players, Marrero and Lin otating left and right. Lin is hitting over .300 and Brock Holt is getting close to returning. Last night they mentioned Frazier as another option out there but only in passing. But DD is quick with the trigger so maybe he won't be patient waiting for Holt and Devers.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
Not sure where you are getting your Boston media info but I have watched both Yankee games. The talk is mostly bridging the gap for Devers who now is at AAA. They have two young players, Marrero and Lin otating left and right. Lin is hitting over .300 and Brock Holt is getting close to returning. Last night they mentioned Frazier as another option out there but only in passing. But DD is quick with the trigger so maybe he won't be patient waiting for Holt and Devers.

Lin and Marrero both couldn't hit in the minors (both have a career minor league OPS below .700) so I doubt Lin's production continues. Holt is also likely a utility player at best. And as I mentioned earlier, even if they want to give Devers a shot, I'd still rather have Frazier at 1B over Moreland.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 06:27 AM)
Lin and Marrero both couldn't hit in the minors (both have a career minor league OPS below .700) so I doubt Lin's production continues. Holt is also likely a utility player at best. And as I mentioned earlier, even if they want to give Devers a shot, I'd still rather have Frazier at 1B over Moreland.

There was also the thing about DD liking to "top off" a team.

I agree with that philosophy and I think even with Devers, Frazier is still a worthwhile addition to them, particularly if you are looking at someone outside your top 10.

Since medicals on boston's side seem to be the hang up i wonder if Hahn can nix the third player and go straight for Ockimey and Mata

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 12:12 AM)
They won't want to play here. And yes it will impact the payroll. Those signings rarely end up being worth their contract anyway. Only teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can absorb 9 figure screw ups. Until we get legit ownership of this team I say no.

You don't know if they would want to play here. Circumstances in a few years from now are unknown. Our payroll at that that time should be limited and that is when you can absorb a large contract. The teams you mentioned maybe near the tax threshold at that time, as they are now. We need to wait and see what is best. Many FA do not pan out, but few are exposed to the market in their mid 20's as established stars.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
Since medicals on boston's side seem to be the hang up i wonder if Hahn can nix the third player and go straight for Ockimey and Mata

Of course it could have been Mata with the bad physical (if that were the deal)

I find it hard to believe that was the deal anyway - too much.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
We'll see. Since the original deal was apparently agreed to (and fell through), he's 1/8, 3 Ks, a double and GIDP with the bags loaded and nobody out.

Better audition today, please, Todd.

Highly doubtful that 8 at bats are going to make a huge difference. Too small of a sample size... he could go 2 for 2 in his next at bats and be hitting .300 over that period now.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Highly doubtful that 8 at bats are going to make a huge difference. Too small of a sample size... he could go 2 for 2 in his next at bats and be hitting .300 over that period now.

I think you are right, but it wouldn't have hurt had he knocked in a few of those runs either.

The thing about all of this to me is that even if it is Ockimey and Mata coming back they'd both slot in the 22-25 range for the farm as it stands now including the '17 class