Sox acquire SS prospect Yeyson Yrizarri

Jose Abreu

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Meh.. he's young but that's about it. I think Rondon is the much better prospect for example. But nice to have a glove in the lower levels to help the pitching.

Cleuluis? Sox released him last month because he was pitiful. Never got the soxtalk obsession with him other than that he was involved in a big trade.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Cleuluis? Sox released him last month because he was pitiful. Never got the soxtalk obsession with him other than that he was involved in a big trade.

He had an amazing glove (scouts and video supported this, with some calling him the best fielding SS in all of baseball) and for a while seemed like he might be able to hit enough to justify his spot reliant on his glove.

Then he cratered.

This is interesting...Yrizarri, 20, was a highly regarded signee of the Rangers in their 2013 J-2 class, and has spent most of the season at low-A Hickory, though he was just recently promoted to high-A Down East. Yrizarri hasn’t hit much — he has a .258/.285/.399 slash line on the year between the two levels — but he’s considered a quality defensive shortstop, and is a prospect, not an organizational depth guy.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/7/15/1597...onus-pool-money

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Because trading draft gives leverage back to players.

Maybe place a deadline on it? Like can't trade picks once the season has begun?

That way if Rick Hahn for sure wanted Beer, but didn't think he'd be taken #1 or #2, he could trade down.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Maybe place a deadline on it? Like can't trade picks once the season has begun?

That way if Rick Hahn for sure wanted Beer, but didn't think he'd be taken #1 or #2, he could trade down.

That might work, actually -- having a deadline on it. I just don't think the owners have any desire for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
So basically, they are getting Yrizarri for, uhh, free, I guess?

They could have used the money but could not sign anyone above 300k or so. So they could sign a bunch of low profile guys but that doesn't really make sense as the the talent pool is not that large.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 05:26 PM)
They could have used the money but could not sign anyone above 300k or so. So they could sign a bunch of low profile guys but that doesn't really make sense as the the talent pool is not that large.

It's just a better way to spend the money given the rules, and the sort of smart move clubs like the Cubs and Astros make on the regular. Good to see Hahn is really getting work done.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
I'd rate Bryant Flete and Matt Rose ahead of this kid.

I would not.

When I posted a small little update in the Sox transactions catch-all, I expected him to be a nothing. This kid has a shot at being a respectable player, as in the type of player the Sox should be looking for when it comes to returns on Swarzak, Frazier, Melky, Holland, and Gonzalez. Instead, they got him for international slot bonus money. I hope they make about 4 or 5 more deals like that.

Also, it really says something about the Sox system when he's 17 in Texas and 30 in Chicago. Give it 3-4 years, and this Sox team is going to be looking awesome.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
I would not.

When I posted a small little update in the Sox transactions catch-all, I expected him to be a nothing. This kid has a shot at being a respectable player, as in the type of player the Sox should be looking for when it comes to returns on Swarzak, Frazier, Melky, Holland, and Gonzalez. Instead, they got him for international slot bonus money. I hope they make about 4 or 5 more deals like that.

Also, it really says something about the Sox system when he's 17 in Texas and 30 in Chicago. Give it 3-4 years, and this Sox team is going to be looking awesome.

There is literally nothing encouraging about his career so far. If he moves off short he'll probably be out of baseball shortly.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
A little soon to be calling a 20 yr. old a bust, don't you think?

Just because he was relatively highly rated doesn't mean it was justifiable. There's nothing I can find that makes me think he gets any further than AA. Flete might never see the bigs but at he'll at least provide solid organizational depth. This kid just put up a 1.8% BB rate in A ball (where every second pitcher struggles to throw strikes). He gets to AA and he'll never see a hitable pitch with his lack of discipline. If he wasn't a SS he may have never moved past rookie ball.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Just because he was relatively highly rated doesn't mean it was justifiable. There's nothing I can find that makes me think he gets any further than AA. Flete might never see the bigs but at he'll at least provide solid organizational depth. This kid just put up a 1.8% BB rate in A ball (where every second pitcher struggles to throw strikes). He gets to AA and he'll never see a hitable pitch with his lack of discipline. If he wasn't a SS he may have never moved past rookie ball.

But when he has hit it he's shown pretty decent pop for his age. He also hasn't struck out that much considering his approach. To me that means he has decent contact ability if he can become moderately more selective. Is it unlikely? Yeah, but there aren't that many good defensive shortstop prospects with a power profile so you have to hope you hope on a weakness gets managed in their development, he's still 20, so he's young for high A.

To say it isn't justifiable is crazy. Most prospects look like this, at least this guy isn't maxed out in body or projection.