Robertson deal close?

Heads22

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
I can't believe I just read this. I never heard anybody speak corporatese in real life, outside of a meeting of suits. An asset relocation project? I'm speechless, but you should be working for the White Sox and making big bucks.

HAHA!! Good stuff, Greg! The reality is...I have current value and therefore might not fit within the Sox' competitive window. I'm essentially worthless to them now and would be heading out of town as a part of the next deal. All that means is that you all are stuck with me for the time being...saddle up...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the nats trade you have to consider 2 things.

-madsen is 37 and Doolittle is very good but also has an extensive injury background.

-the As get rid of the salary of the two guys and they get a controllable guy with treinen back who has a bad year but is not old and could bounce back.

So the As loose salary, get two prospects and get a reliever back who could be a decent flip candidate next year.

In that light the trade doesn't look as bad, beane gets something back for two guys who have solid stats but could easily worth nothing next year.

Robertson is a better chip than that especially if the sox eat some money. He is not chapman or miller but he could net a back end top 100 prospect that his team doesn't love (that probably removes high upside low level prospects like rutherford or groome but guys with maybe a slightly falling stock like mateo could work).

Don't expect much on top of that prospect though, every top 100 guy would be great.

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
The Nationals and Dodgers had scouts watching Robertson on Sunday in addition to Yankees and Red Sox. With potentially 4 teams in on Robertson and other relievers I have to think Hahn could pull another top 100 guy for a Robertson + Kahnle/Swarzak.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/murray-do...uted-white-sox/

Robertson and Kahnle could get top 100 prospects on their own, no need to package them

Can Kahnle get a top 100 prospect? I'm really not sure of that. He's such an interesting case that I'm still not sure what exactly his value is. Obviously, if you're not getting a great offer for him then you hold onto him but I'll be interested to see what happens there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Can Kahnle get a top 100 prospect? I'm really not sure of that. He's such an interesting case that I'm still not sure what exactly his value is. Obviously, if you're not getting a great offer for him then you hold onto him but I'll be interested to see what happens there.

I think with the track record not being there, most teams would be reluctant. Packaging Robertson with him gives you assurance I feel like and teams might be more willing to part with something.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
I think with the track record not being there, most teams would be reluctant. Packaging Robertson with him gives you assurance I feel like and teams might be more willing to part with something.

That would be my guess but like I said because he's such a different case, I'm really not sure where his value is.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)

Any chance you can get Verdugo with those 2? I know LA isn't wanting to deal him but for those 2 maybe? Would we have to throw in something else?

His numbers are elite. They are similar to Kimbrel's. He will get a top 100 without a doubt, track record be damned.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
Robertson has quite a market.

Yankees, Red Sox, Rockies, Dodgers and now supposedly still the Nationals.

do we have to throw in money? are bids going up as suitors # increase? or are there other relievers diluting things out there?

If he cannot get a top 100 prospect (or maybe 2 in the 120 range that your team likes or something like that), that's a good "hold him" level. Same numbers for another full season and we're talking top 50, slight decline from these levels and we're still at top 100.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
If he cannot get a top 100 prospect (or maybe 2 in the 120 range that your team likes or something like that), that's a good "hold him" level. Same numbers for another full season and we're talking top 50, slight decline from these levels and we're still at top 100.

I agree with this. I also think with the number of quality relievers available, it might make more sense to focus on dealing Robertson & Swarzak now and to save Kahnle for the offseason. But hey, if value can be found for all three guys, then by all means trade them.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
do we have to throw in money? are bids going up as suitors # increase? or are there other relievers diluting things out there?

Money is one point that I'm sure will be negotiated over. The Sox should be open to picking up some of the money if it helps with the return.

I'm not concerned about finding a taker for Robertson, relief help is always in demand at the deadline.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Robertson has quite a market.

Yankees, Red Sox, Rockies, Dodgers and now supposedly still the Nationals.

I always thought the Rockies were a good fit for Robertson, maybe we can squeeze Ryan McMahon and Colton Welker out of them. DRob would be a great 8th inning guy for them.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Remember when a bunch of people wanted to DFA Robertson? Man times change.

Was that actually a thing? My dumbass would have dfa'd Avi but I don't remember the dfa Robertson bandwagon as much.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
As others have said, you're going to have to temper your expectations in what we actually get

Nightengale actually said the same prospects surprisingly in his latest prediction article featured both Frazier and Robertson and named some specific players we would be getting back which is odd. Below is what he said about Robertson.

YANKEES: A ROBERTSON REUNION

The Yankees, one of the biggest surprises the first half, were planning to be aggressive at the trade deadline, right up until losing 18 of their last 25 games before the All-Star break.

The Yankees sought Quintana, are in the Gray talks, and would like to pry first baseman Eric Hosmer from the Royals, too, but the Yankees’ strategy is nothing like those of their ancestors. They actually value their prospects.

They’re not about to junk their entire rebuilding project to try to win the AL East. They instead will make moves for the present, and future, without costing top prospects.

Prediction: The Yankees acquire Robertson from the White Sox and Prado from the Marlins, getting salary relief from each team, and giving up nothing more valuable than 22-year-old third baseman Miguel Andujar. If the price is right, they could grab Athletics first baseman Yonder Alonso, too

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/484205001/

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
Was that actually a thing? My dumbass would have dfa'd Avi but I don't remember the dfa Robertson bandwagon as much.
Fairly strong last year I believe. Also to just give him the Yankees for salary relief.

Now we're talking about eating a bit of cash to get someone like Andujar, Groome or Soto.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm not big on regret and looking back, but I think we're going to really kick ourselves for not picking Rutherford.

Maybe we can still get him...Nightengale reiterating Yankees as the favorite over the Red Sox on DRob.