Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
No prob, just responding to you calling him Miller/Jenks.

I appreciate it when you come back with data backing your claims instead of "psshhh yeah right bro, HIGH FIVE"

At least I made an effort, eh?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)
If they love Rutherford and it was the only way to acquire him?

Sox fans should be thrilled. We have no use for kahnle or Robertson outside of them being trade chips.

Getting Rutherford, clarkin, polo is very solid

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
Moncada is coming!

I'm excited. I had been keen on the idea of letting him stay in AAA, but how could you not be excited about the #1 prospect getting the call?

My regret is not going to watch him play in-person for Charlotte when I had a few opportunities to do it.

I actually like this trade a lot more then most (after being more lukewarm on the past deal or two). Getting a premium guy like Rutherford for non-premium players is a nice thing. We won't look bad and regret moving any of these guys when we are contending next and if we were able to get a star and a guy who can be in our rotation, that would be a huge win. There is a lot of pressure on the developmental people because we've brought in quite a few lower level (albeit highly talented prospects) who have a lot more bust risk.

Sad thing is...this is about it when it comes to us being able to offer up deals for prospects. At this point it is on the developmental staff to develop players and obviously the scouts and front office to draft more talent (and hopefully identify some good buy low sell high candidates over the next year or two before we are ready to contend). Avi is probably the only really interesting guy left (if we were to deal him and Id have to think at this point, there is too much film of bad Avi that people aren't yet convinced / ready to pay the price we'd want for him. Melky probably gets us a guy with some relief upside or a flier with some potential but we aren't getting back a top 150 guy for him (but that is okay..depth isn't bad).

For better or worse, the Sox are now are set on developing their outfield of Former Cub Eloy, International Signee Robert and former Yankee Rutherford. If everybody pans out Avi could be DH and Tito Polo could be the fourth outfielder. Lot of candidates in the system for 4th outfielder.

They now will develop an infield of Burger/Davidson (trade the one who doesn't make it), Anderson ss, Moncada 2b and Abreu.

There is a young catcher in the system.

The rotation: we all know there are 8-10 guys battling for that with Rodon and Fulmer hopefully leading the way with the guys we acquired in trades from the Nats including the fireballer.

Hopefully the Sox when they are ready to contend will spend money on some bodies in the bullpen and maybe a DH and a veteran starter.

If the starting pitching is as good as people think it can be and Moncada, Anderson and all 3 outfielders are all stars and IF the Sox acquire some good bodies for the bullpen via free agency (including a closer) there is your WS winning team. Or 2-3-4 WS winning team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:05 PM)
There was no need to move him RIGHT NOW.

People said the same thing about Nate Jones last offseason. Look how that one turned out.

Remember when we all said include him with Sale to get Devers, Moncada, and Kopech? And then a bunch of people came in and said packaging him with Sale diminishes his value and to wait.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:09 PM)
How is his defense? If his defense is good he is a great 4th OF guy with speed .

Capable defender in left and center with his speed, he does have a weak arm though.

Makes him a liability in right.

I like him as a good forth outfielder

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:09 PM)
I appreciate it when you come back with data backing your claims instead of "psshhh yeah right bro, HIGH FIVE"

At least I made an effort, eh?

Data for what? He's been good for 36 innings. You are saying he is Miller/Jenks and upset he helped net us a top 30 prospect. I am not. If we held on to him and he repeated it for the rest of this year + 3 months next year? Sure, I'm all in. There's also a risk that he's a flash in the pan and we dump Frazier/Robo for scraps and get nothing for him next year. I'll trust Hahn's judgment for now.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

Normally I don't like to be a downer, but I really dislike this trade. When we have been talking about getting Kieboom or Soto for Robertson and how good Kahnle has become plus he is controllable for three more years, I feel like the only real piece we got was Rutherford. Hell, we had to take on Clippard!!! Rutherford seems like a glorified Jameson Fisher to me and I'm not a fan. Both those guys are rated highly because they are supposed to have natural hitting ability and nice swings, but the results aren't any better than guys with average hitting ability. And that might be fine if they had other skills that could add value, but they don't have speed that can be useful in the majors, are below average defenders, and have week arms. And Hahn saying he could play CF! But Rutherford is supposed to have power right? Except he has 2 home runs this season. If Rutherford wasn't highly rated going into the draft because he crushed guys year younger than him I definitely think he would be outside the top 100. I feel like this is buying high on Rutherford and selling low on Kahnle. Why take this trade two weeks before the deadline?! I hope I'm wrong, but this is the first time I'm down on a prospect, and this is probably our last trade that can add high end talent and I feel like we missed out.

***Deep breath***

Rant over.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:13 AM)
There is a very real chance that in 3-5 years, this will be a trade that Yankees fans bring up in every single conversation about Cashman's f*** ups

Good to see some Yankee fans lamenting losing Rutherford on Twitter. Some like the trade; many are lamenting the loss of Rutherford saying they should have gotten Q for Rutherford not David, Frazier and K.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:12 PM)
For better or worse, the Sox are now are set on developing their outfield of Former Cub Eloy, International Signee Robert and former Yankee Rutherford. If everybody pans out Avi could be DH and Tito Polo could be the fourth outfielder. Lot of candidates in the system for 4th outfielder.

They now will develop an infield of Burger/Davidson (trade the one who doesn't make it), Anderson ss, Moncada 2b and Abreu.

There is a young catcher in the system.

The rotation: we all know there are 8-10 guys battling for that with Rodon and Fulmer hopefully leading the way with the guys we acquired in trades from the Nats including the fireballer.

Hopefully the Sox when they are ready to contend will spend money on some bodies in the bullpen and maybe a DH and a veteran starter.

If the starting pitching is as good as people think it can be and Moncada, Anderson and all 3 outfielders are all stars and IF the Sox acquire some good bodies for the bullpen via free agency (including a closer) there is your WS winning team. Or 2-3-4 WS winning team.

Things will change beyond this 6 months from now. Be happy they are collecting talent. The Sox definitely have the #1 system now, suck it Atlanta.

The next major move this team makes should be to hire some exceptional coaches, for the farm system, to develop all of this talent.

Other teams have ended up with great players, with less potential than the Sox now have. Let's just hope that they don't waste it.

Edited by Lillian

If you think about it from the Yankees perspective, it's all about Kahnle. If Kahnle goes back to being a marginal major leaguer, this would be an unforgivably bad trade for the Yanks. Whether Rutherford pans out is less important because we know that his value is high enough to bring in a Sonny Gray type of player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
Good to see some Yankee fans lamenting losing Rutherford on Twitter. Some like the trade; many are lamenting the loss of Rutherford saying they should have gotten Q for Rutherford not David, Frazier and K.

They could not have gotten Q for Rutherford alone, considering Eloy is a top 10 prospect and Rutherford is, at best, a top 25-40 prospect. Had they included Torres, then they were talking, but that was not happening.