Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:12 PM)
I actually like this trade a lot more then most (after being more lukewarm on the past deal or two). Getting a premium guy like Rutherford for non-premium players is a nice thing. We won't look bad and regret moving any of these guys when we are contending next and if we were able to get a star and a guy who can be in our rotation, that would be a huge win. There is a lot of pressure on the developmental people because we've brought in quite a few lower level (albeit highly talented prospects) who have a lot more bust risk.

Sad thing is...this is about it when it comes to us being able to offer up deals for prospects. At this point it is on the developmental staff to develop players and obviously the scouts and front office to draft more talent (and hopefully identify some good buy low sell high candidates over the next year or two before we are ready to contend). Avi is probably the only really interesting guy left (if we were to deal him and Id have to think at this point, there is too much film of bad Avi that people aren't yet convinced / ready to pay the price we'd want for him. Melky probably gets us a guy with some relief upside or a flier with some potential but we aren't getting back a top 150 guy for him (but that is okay..depth isn't bad).

Interesting to see who stands where on the trades these days. Earlier I was going to post you don't trade Kahnle unless there is a high impact prospect. Maybe Kahnle will one day be worth more but (imo) more important to get a high impact spect today than hope for 2 in the future.

I also was less enthused about Sale/Q no matter what the return it's going to be hard to win those deals. Sale could be a generational talent pitcher, just no way to match that in quantity.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutherford and Clarkin are what matters to me. Give it a little time Sox fans and you'll see why the Sox wanted Clarkin in the deal. Kid is still building his arm strength back up from his injury but he's looking good this year. He should end up at Birmingham once more promotions happen.

On this notion that we had to take on Clipart? We owe him like 3-4M...that is not taking on some massive contract. If anything, we'll flip him to the Nats for a backbend piece (not a good prospect...but I could see someone betting on a change of scenery). Random lefties like him find ways to get moved all the time at the deadline. Either way, we got an elite prospect without giving up any elite player (or anyone we will regret long-term). The fact that we got an elite talent without giving up elite players is a major plus for me (and Clarkin and Polo are very legit pieces). Clarkin has a shot to be a good starter and Polo probably has a solid shot at being a 4th outfielder(not crazy, but value there). Rutherford obviously drives the trade but 3-4 years from now we could be looking at getting a regular all star and a solid middle of the rotation starter for three guys who would not be around for our rebuild.

We could also see none of them pan out, but the upside is there and I see minimal risk (in the sense that we gave up one of the best players in the game (which was not the case when we dealt Eaton / Sale / Q...all of whom had demonstrated an ability to be elite and/or well above average).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
Nightengale says "The truth of the matter is that the Redsox never showed serious interest in Todd Frazier, but it didn't hurt for other teams to believe it."

IF true..brilliant use by Hahn/Kenny to use Nightengale and the rival Red Sox to pump up the price the Yanks would be willing to pay.

I don't quite understand this trade from the Yankees' perspective. Is their bullpen that bad? They already have Betances and Chapman. How bad can it really get? If they just needed MR help, they didn't need to give up their #3 prospect to do it. Is Frazier that big of an upgrade over what they have?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:17 AM)
The next major move this team makes should be to hire some exceptional coaches, for the farm system, to develop all of this talent.

Other teams have ended up with great players, with less potential than the Sox now have. Let's just hope that they don't waste it.

That isn't going to happen though. Isn't Buddy Bell still in charge? Arguably he is very mediocre.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
They could not have gotten Q for Rutherford alone, considering Eloy is a top 10 prospect and Rutherford is, at best, a top 25-40 prospect. Had they included Torres, then they were talking, but that was not happening.

Seriously people are getting the term blue chip confused. Eloy Jimenez is a blue chip prospect. Rutherford currently isn't and again I'm probably the 3rd or 4th biggest Rutherford fan here.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:15 PM)
Normally I don't like to be a downer, but I really dislike this trade. When we have been talking about getting Kieboom or Soto for Robertson and how good Kahnle has become plus he is controllable for three more years, I feel like the only real piece we got was Rutherford. Hell, we had to take on Clippard!!! Rutherford seems like a glorified Jameson Fisher to me and I'm not a fan. Both those guys are rated highly because they are supposed to have natural hitting ability and nice swings, but the results aren't any better than guys with average hitting ability. And that might be fine if they had other skills that could add value, but they don't have speed that can be useful in the majors, are below average defenders, and have week arms. And Hahn saying he could play CF! But Rutherford is supposed to have power right? Except he has 2 home runs this season. If Rutherford wasn't highly rated going into the draft because he crushed guys year younger than him I definitely think he would be outside the top 100. I feel like this is buying high on Rutherford and selling low on Kahnle. Why take this trade two weeks before the deadline?! I hope I'm wrong, but this is the first time I'm down on a prospect, and this is probably our last trade that can add high end talent and I feel like we missed out.

***Deep breath***

Rant over.

Only reason why people thought we could get Kieboom or Soto for Robertson alone is because of how desperate the Nats were for relief pitching. But the A's were sure to give them a sweet deal. I'm guessing Rizzo didn't want an egg on his face twice in one season for dealing with Hahn.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
This season, he has been elite.

Fair?

Obviously.

BP arms are the most volatile asset in baseball. Kahnle is more likely to turn back into a pumpkin and be non-tendered than he is to continue dominating.

Hahn did an amazing job converting those assets into an elite prospect. Sox fans, like all fans, irrationally value their players.

As someone that doesn't give two s***s about the Sox, I still admire how well Hahn has orchestrated this rebuild so far. He has done almost flawlessly.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:23 AM)
Seriously people are getting the term blue chip confused. Eloy Jimenez is a blue chip prospect. Rutherford currently isn't and again I'm probably the 3rd or 4th biggest Rutherford fan here.

Yep if Eloy and Yoan are A+ prospects, he would be an A-. The good news is he seems to be hitting better of late. The Kanny lineup is quite intriguing

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:24 AM)
Only reason why people thought we could get Kieboom or Soto for Robertson alone is because of how desperate the Nats were for relief pitching. But the A's were sure to give them a sweet deal. I'm guessing Rizzo didn't want an egg on his face twice in one season for dealing with Hahn.

And because the Sox would have been paying a lot of money