Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
IF true..brilliant use by Hahn/Kenny to use Nightengale and the rival Red Sox to pump up the price the Yanks would be willing to pay.

Ha ha, DD doing Hahn a solid as a way of thanking Hahn for the season Chris Sale is having g in Boston.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
I don't quite understand this trade from the Yankees' perspective. Is their bullpen that bad? They already have Betances and Chapman. How bad can it really get? If they just needed MR help, they didn't need to give up their #3 prospect to do it. Is Frazier that big of an upgrade over what they have?

They Yankees dealt from strength. They have numerous OF prospects.

They sent us a guy Rule 5 eligible, and they will have 40 man problems this year - he was excess.

Polo is fringe.

I don't this trade is Hahn's best work, but it's a far cry from his worst.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:24 AM)
But seriously guys, we have like 12 bucks dedicated to the payroll going forward...

Yep it's quite exciting. I'm still intrigued at the Stanton/Yellich idea if it's only money and minimal prospects in return

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
Frazier had to be traded but his departure has to leave something of an empty feeling in the clubhouse. He will be missed.

What? No. This is false. Frazier was largely a disappointment in Chicago, bye felicia

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)
I'm not sure some of you guys understand Rutherford's potential value and future impact.

He's been coveted by a ton of teams in talks and was a very tough get.

Front office is THRILLED to acquire him.

bucket-of-suck has spoken!

/thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
Yep it's quite exciting. I'm still intrigued at the Stanton/Yellich idea if it's only money and minimal prospects in return

That would hurt our draft position

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)
I'm not sure some of you guys understand Rutherford's potential value and future impact.

And they should be thrilled and the fans should be as well. Its a big get!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:23 AM)
Seriously people are getting the term blue chip confused. Eloy Jimenez is a blue chip prospect. Rutherford currently isn't and again I'm probably the 3rd or 4th biggest Rutherford fan here.

No. 3 prospect in Yankee system, first round draft pick, selected 18th overall. I think that's blue chip.

Projected to have power, currently more line drives. Will he be the next Eric Hosmer? The next David Justice, who also was 6-3? Or gulp, Jeff Francoeur??

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:15 PM)
Normally I don't like to be a downer, but I really dislike this trade. When we have been talking about getting Kieboom or Soto for Robertson and how good Kahnle has become plus he is controllable for three more years, I feel like the only real piece we got was Rutherford. Hell, we had to take on Clippard!!! Rutherford seems like a glorified Jameson Fisher to me and I'm not a fan. Both those guys are rated highly because they are supposed to have natural hitting ability and nice swings, but the results aren't any better than guys with average hitting ability. And that might be fine if they had other skills that could add value, but they don't have speed that can be useful in the majors, are below average defenders, and have week arms. And Hahn saying he could play CF! But Rutherford is supposed to have power right? Except he has 2 home runs this season. If Rutherford wasn't highly rated going into the draft because he crushed guys year younger than him I definitely think he would be outside the top 100. I feel like this is buying high on Rutherford and selling low on Kahnle. Why take this trade two weeks before the deadline?! I hope I'm wrong, but this is the first time I'm down on a prospect, and this is probably our last trade that can add high end talent and I feel like we missed out.

***Deep breath***

Rant over.

Clarkin is not nothing. We needed a solid left handed prospect for our system.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)

I think this is a better trade then the Sale deal and probably like it more then the Q deal as well. I really really am a fan of this deal. With Sale / Q, I think the idea that we win the deal (as in get better talent then what we gave up, is relatively minimal)...now do we get future value (when we weren't able to leverage the current value of Q/Sale)...sure, but I don't see us winning those deals. In the case of this trade, I could see us acquiring the best player in the deal (as well as other contributors). Oddly enough, I could see this being the deal that when we look back a few years down the road, put us over the top.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
For Hahn to get all this potential talent is nine months is amazing. Kudos to him.

No guarantees but no one can say that he isn't going full bore with this and demanding quality in return.

I also like that we aren't sitting too long on these pieces. By moving guys earlier, we are ensuring we drive the market (and actually by executing on the deals we have, I think everyone knows we are serious and are willing to pull the trigger, but also recognize we aren't going to cave on price). This also means we can get cute with the final asset or two and spend a lot of time working/thinking about Avi / Melky (and anyone else we dangle).

It will be interesting to see if we do any "buying" nearer the deadline of guys we think are good buy-low candidates (say jumping in as a 3rd team in a deal). Or even acting as a cash buffer to absorb a contract for prospect (given how low our payroll figures to be the next couple years and the fact that we have few real ways to truly invest/leverage that cash).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
I think this is a better trade then the Sale deal and probably like it more then the Q deal as well. I really really am a fan of this deal. With Sale / Q, I think the idea that we win the deal (as in get better talent then what we gave up, is relatively minimal)...now do we get future value (when we weren't able to leverage the current value of Q/Sale)...sure, but I don't see us winning those deals. In the case of this trade, I could see us acquiring the best player in the deal (as well as other contributors). Oddly enough, I could see this being the deal that when we look back a few years down the road, put us over the top.

If Rutherford pans out, we win big. If we get anything from clarkin or polo as well it's a cherry on top.

Our farm system it's so deep now

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)

+1.