Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
I think that Rutherford is just so far away. and the Yankees think that they can win now, so they were willing to trade a good prospect since he is so far away still.

And it was from an area of strength.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?playe...itting/2017/ALL

Sure, and this guy had a 750 OPS (wow, 0.17 points different!!!) in the Midwest League at roughly the same point in the season last year...prospects don't stay on a linear path.

I think this a very good post in terms of understanding its a development process. Sometimes especially a guy who is 20 years old take some time to make adjustments. Hopefully, He still probably has 2.5 years at the very least of development.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Ultimately, that is what I conceded yesterday. If they really believe in him, fabulous. They obviously do this for a living, while I sit on the couch.

One minor gripe:

It is IRRELEVANT that the White Sox paid very little for Tommy Kahnle. That has absolutely nothing to do with his market value. The White Sox paid an immense price for Gordon Beckham, and yet his market value was very little (despite them getting a decent little prospect back for him from the Angels).

It works both ways.

You're right. We traded Gordo to LAA for Almonte, who we traded to Rockies for Kahnle, who we traded to Yanks for Rutherford and Polo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
In today's KLaw chat, he said Blake has no shot at all of staying in CF. he did say that the rebuild has been excellent

The rebuild has been excellent, but he likes literally no one the Sox have acquired. How do you offer both of these opinions simultaneously?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
The rebuild has been excellent, but he likes literally no one the Sox have acquired. How do you offer both of these opinions simultaneously?

Kopech is his highest rated pitcher. He loves Eloy Jimenez. He likes rutherford's swing but questions his power and position. He has Moncada as a top 20 player.

Weird way of showing hate.

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 08:14 PM)
Kahnle and Drob are not off to good starts.

6ER in 4IP.

Robertson always ran hot and cold can’t really be upset about him being gone. Kahnle always looked like a one year wonder but I don’t know if he’ll ever be closer material. Eaton is red hot to start this season.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 10:14 PM)
Kahnle and Drob are not off to good starts.

6ER in 4IP.

It's still early but that doesn't surprise me

It's okay, I just hope we get a MLer outta it

Rutherford isn't projecting too well, Clarkin hopefully can be a backend guy one day and hopefully Polo can be a 4thOF

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 09:45 PM)

Rutherford isn't projecting too well, Clarkin hopefully can be a backend guy one day and hopefully Polo can be a 4thOF

Yanks got what they needed from our three guys last year to go deep into playoffs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 09:45 PM)

Yeah Rutherford had a down year but he's still plenty young enough it's his advanced approach at the plate that sort of makes you believe in him as a prospect even last year with the yankees he may have had a .733 OPS but he had a .281 AVG and .342 OBP the power will come.

Clarksin actually has the potential to be a mid rotation guy so we'll see. Heading into 2017 he regained some life on his fastball according to scouting reports. He was sitting 90-92 and reaching 95. Yankees were excited.

After more time off his velocity slipped into the 88-90. He just more then anything needs to put together a full season in the minors to build up his arm strength and stamina. He'll probably be on a limited inning count you would think.

Meanwhile I know you aren't supposed to laugh but look at Robertson reaction

https://media.giphy.com/media/TGLESAM3x0I4apZ4np/giphy.gif

It’s way too early to write Rutherford off. For whatever reason, the kid was overhyped since draft day and I think those unrealistic expectations have caused some people to view him as a flop due to his poor 2017 production. This is going to be a huge year for him as he needs to show some level of improvement in the power department. Playing half his games at BB&T Ballpark should help out. The raw power is there, just needs to find a way to harness it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 06:54 AM)
It’s way too early to write Rutherford off. For whatever reason, the kid was overhyped since draft day and I think those unrealistic expectations have caused some people to view him as a flop due to his poor 2017 production. This is going to be a huge year for him as he needs to show some level of improvement in the power department. Playing half his games at BB&T Ballpark should help out. The raw power is there, just needs to find a way to harness it.

From every report out of spring training and the hitters camp, the raw power isn't there. I think it was Kiley at Fangraphs who said after seeing him at the hitters camp he would put a 45 on his future power. So his upside comp as a below average power corner OF is basically Christian Yelich. That is a hard profile to achieve.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:07 AM)
From every report out of spring training and the hitters camp, the raw power isn't there. I think it was Kiley at Fangraphs who said after seeing him at the hitters camp he would put a 45 on his future power. So his upside comp as a below average power corner OF is basically Christian Yelich. That is a hard profile to achieve.

Blake Rutherford is the poor man's Ryan Sweeney.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:07 AM)

I’ve read those same comments but question how his raw power would actually deteriorate so quickly. Again, I think he was overhyped to begin with and people are now over-compensating given the poor power output he’s shown to date. I still see average raw power potential in the kid. That along with a plus hit tool can make him an effective everyday OF. The question is can the White Sox get him to translate that raw power to in game power. That will obviously make or break him, but I don’t buy that in 12 months he went from 60 grade raw power (FV) to 45.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
His scouting report was David Justice we'll see he is still super young.

I don't know how realistic it is since I haven't seen much of him but I'd be very happy if he turned into an early career Nick Markakis type... A guy who can bat 2nd, give you a high obp, can run a little, hit like 18-23 HRs, good defense, etc.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:18 PM)
Lot to be excited about here...

When I saw him take his ABs during spring I couldn't believe how skinny he was. I know he's still young but he looked like a 16-18 year old HS player. One with a good frame sure, but very thin. He needs to hit the weight room.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:42 PM)
When I saw him take his ABs during spring I couldn't believe how skinny he was. I know he's still young but he looked like a 16-18 year old HS player. One with a good frame sure, but very thin. He needs to hit the weight room.

Couldn't agree with you more

Saw him with Kanny almost immediately after the trade

Looks like an average Joe