Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:42 PM)
When I saw him take his ABs during spring I couldn't believe how skinny he was. I know he's still young but he looked like a 16-18 year old HS player. One with a good frame sure, but very thin. He needs to hit the weight room.

To me that says concerns over the raw power right now are overblown. It also says that he's probably going to take a little longer to develop and get to MLB.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:01 AM)
To me that says concerns over the raw power right now are overblown. It also says that he's probably going to take a little longer to develop and get to MLB.

Which is where scouts ding him because he was old for a pick out of high school

I know KW loved Rutherford coming out but wonder what other deal could have been had with NYY

Hate writing off Rutherford, but I'm fine with Clarkin and Polo, still think they could have landed another highly touted prospect and a throw in for a 4 player return for D-Rob, Frazier, and Kahnle

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)
I know KW loved Rutherford coming out but wonder what other deal could have been had with NYY

Hate writing off Rutherford, but I'm fine with Clarkin and Polo, still think they could have landed another highly touted prospect and a throw in for a 4 player return for D-Rob, Frazier, and Kahnle

I’m still waiting for Estevan Florian to be named as a pbtnl in that trade.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:45 PM)
So he.. sucks?

I think similar takes, although Sweeney seems to be a bit more polished. Sweeney got strong. He went from skinny guy to pretty jacked but it didn't mean much home run wise. He had a decent career. I think Rutherford is a notch below him, but similar profile.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)
I think similar takes, although Sweeney seems to be a bit more polished. Sweeney got strong. He went from skinny guy to pretty jacked but it didn't mean much home run wise. He had a decent career. I think Rutherford is a notch below him, but similar profile.

I was gonna call you sweet and post Sweeney's miserable stats but he actually consistently had a solid average

Little did I know, solid bench option

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:45 PM)
So he.. sucks?
He not only sucks but trading our best bullpen man (David Robertson) for him was nuts. Is there anybody in this bullpen as good as Robertson?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:14 PM)
He not only sucks but trading our best bullpen man (David Robertson) for him was nuts. Is there anybody in this bullpen as good as Robertson?

Jones. And Kahnle had more trade value than Robertson due to the team control

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:14 PM)

They also took all of the money in the Robertson deal. There's also 0 reason to have a good bullpen on a s*** rebuilding team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 02:42 PM)
They also took all of the money in the Robertson deal. There's also 0 reason to have a good bullpen on a s*** rebuilding team.

Which was basically a full market value contract meaning Robertson had zero trade surplus value.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 12:46 PM)
Which was basically a full market value contract meaning Robertson had zero trade surplus value.

Ahh, I don’t agree...we gave them a proven closer who had succeeded with them previously in New York. Yes, he was making a fair salary, but I hate that people look at Robertson to the Yankees as a “salary dump.” They got back some solid veteran talent and a young stud to make a playoff run, and basically only surrendered one overrated prospect.

It was a great deal by Cashman, and probably not so great for the Sox.

My guess is the end result of that trade will be us surrendering Kahnle in order to clear about $10 million off the books.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 04:38 PM)
Ahh, I don’t agree...we gave them a proven closer who had succeeded with them previously in New York. Yes, he was making a fair salary, but I hate that people look at Robertson to the Yankees as a “salary dump.” They got back some solid veteran talent and a young stud to make a playoff run, and basically only surrendered one overrated prospect.

It was a great deal by Cashman, and probably not so great for the Sox.

My guess is the end result of that trade will be us surrendering Kahnle in order to clear about $10 million off the books.

Eh, we tried to send Robertson by himself to all of baseball, just like Hahn had done with all of his major trades before, and no one really had any interest in him alone. Kahnle was the reason we got Rutherford. Robertson alone wasn't getting anything of value. Even the interviews after the trade admitted as much.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)
Eh, we tried to send Robertson by himself to all of baseball, just like Hahn had done with all of his major trades before, and no one really had any interest in him alone. Kahnle was the reason we got Rutherford. Robertson alone wasn't getting anything of value. Even the interviews after the trade admitted as much.

I’m not disputing whether Kahnle got Rutherford. I guess what I’m saying is I think Kahnle should have been worth more than a guy like Rutherford and this notion that Robertson was some schlep that we were lucky the Yankees took off our hands is overblown.

Do you think if we had put Frazier and Robertson on waivers they would have been claimed?

If we could still have Kahnle and give the Yankees back the three prospects, would you do it?

I would...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
I’m not disputing whether Kahnle got Rutherford. I guess what I’m saying is I think Kahnle should have been worth more than a guy like Rutherford and this notion that Robertson was some schlep that we were lucky the Yankees took off our hands is overblown.

Do you think if we had put Frazier and Robertson on waivers they would have been claimed?

If we could still have Kahnle and give the Yankees back the three prospects, would you do it?

I would...

How much additional prospect stock do you think that teams were willing to pay for Robertson, and why didn't Hahn take it then?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
How much additional prospect stock do you think that teams were willing to pay for Robertson, and why didn't Hahn take it then?

I’m not suggesting teams would have given up much for him.

I’m suggesting I would have preferred NOT to have to package Kahnle to give the Yankees the privilege of getting a guy back that had high-leverage experience in New York.

I would have much preferred to give them Swarzak, Robertson and Frazier for Tito Polo and Clarkin, for instance.

I think that the assessed value of Rutherford, as a prospect, at the time, made it a fair trade. Some of us are just not sold on Rutherford being as good as he has been regarded. Remember, when he was acquired, he had performed pretty well, except for the lack of power.

At the time, the projected future surplus value for Rutherford was certainly higher than Kahnle.

That said, you need to be right on these things more often that not. Rutherford, Tatis, Fulmer, Collins and Burger are all going to be used as prima facie evidence if things do not go as well as expected. I don’t think we can make a realistic argument that many other teams would have taken Schwarber over Rodon, and drafting a LH future ace with thst type of stuff over a limited defensive player is an easy one to defend, especially in light of the way those players are leaking value today. Or we can argue the Sox would be better off with Happ than Fulmer...and rue Benintendi going 1 spot earlier. That’s why they play the games. A decade ago, everyone would have laughed at Tim Beckham having a higher career war than Gordon Beckham by the end of his career.

(Of course, the Astros made mistakes with JD Martinez, Chris Johnson, Grossman, Singleton, Appel...maybe trading Domingo Santana but he was surplus to Luhnow...and overcame in through frontline quality/depth. And they had an MVP in Altuve to build their team around, adding Correa and Springer, eventually Tucker.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)
Jones. And Kahnle had more trade value than Robertson due to the team control

Relievers don’t have good trade value unless they are elite closers or elite setup men. It didn’t help that the A’s killed the market value for relief talent not long before that trade happened.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 03:06 PM)
At the time, the projected future surplus value for Rutherford was certainly higher than Kahnle.

That said, you need to be right on these things more often that not. Rutherford, Tatis, Fulmer, Collins and Burger are all going to be used as prima facie evidence if things do not go as well as expected.

(Of course, the Astros made mistakes with JD Martinez, Chris Johnson, Grossman, Singleton, Appel...maybe trading Domingo Santana but he was surplus to Luhnow...and overcame in through fromtline quality/depth. And they had an MVP in Altuve to build their team around, adding Correa and Springer, eventually Tucker.)

I’m not sure projected surplus values really mean much when a kid is in low-A ball?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:03 PM)
I think that the assessed value of Rutherford, as a prospect, at the time, made it a fair trade. Some of us are just not sold on Rutherford being as good as he has been regarded. Remember, when he was acquired, he had performed pretty well, except for the lack of power.

His stock had started plummeting at the time of the trade. A few scouts were disappointed in the weak contact he was making and vehemently disagreed that he could play CF

We gotta wait and see how Rutherford performs this year. At the time of the trade, I felt Rutherford was a solid centerpiece if the Sox felt he was still a top 50 caliber prospect, but that Clarkin as the second piece was incredibly weak given how much we gave up. The early returns have obviously been ugly with Blake and I think it’s perfectly fine to be a bit concerned about the trade. However, I think we have to wait and see what the Sox saw in the kid before saying they undersold on Kahnle. If Rutherford shows no improvement this year then I’m prepared to call the trade a bust, but he if regains some helium it’s the possible the Sox made a shrewd move and bought low on a very talented kid. We’ll know more come September.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 03:16 PM)
We gotta wait and see how Rutherford performs this year. At the time of the trade, I felt Rutherford was a solid centerpiece if the Sox felt he was still a top 50 caliber prospect, but that Clarkin as the second piece was incredibly weak given how much we gave up. The early returns have obviously been ugly with Blake and I think it’s perfectly fine to be a bit concerned about the trade. However, I think we have to wait and see what the Sox saw in the kid before saying they undersold on Kahnle. If Rutherford shows no improvement this year then I’m prepared to call the trade a bust, but he if regains some helium it’s the possible the Sox made a shrewd move and bought low on a very talented kid. We’ll know more come September.

Let me ask you this...what are the odds he turns into a better player than Avi?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)

That said, you need to be right on these things more often that not. Rutherford, Tatis, Fulmer, Collins and Burger are all going to be used as prima facie evidence if things do not go as well as expected.

(Of course, the Astros made mistakes with JD Martinez, Chris Johnson, Grossman, Singleton, Appel...maybe trading Domingo Santana but he was surplus to Luhnow...and overcame in through fromtline quality/depth. And they had an MVP in Altuve to build their team around, adding Correa and Springer, eventually Tucker.)

The only takeaway is they aren’t that great at evaluating players at A level and below. Above that level they are much better. I’m seriously amazed how so many of you have completely given up on Rutherford after how useless Leury Garcia, Sanchez, Avi, Davidson, etc all looked for years and have now become contributors. It took Micker years to show anything at all. If he ends up being a late bloomer who doesn’t get to the majors until 24-25 so what? Not everyone fast tracks it through the minors. He didn’t suddenly lose the natural talent he has.