Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, thought he was reacting to Clarkin and not Cease.

With Cease, it's the overwhelming stuff right off the bat in ST...carrying over to the regular season as well.

For example, the fact that he's not pitched SIX complete innings in a game, he never did that (entire MILB career) up until his last start.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:01 AM)
Oops, thought he was reacting to Clarkin and not Cease.

With Cease, it's the overwhelming stuff right off the bat in ST...carrying over to the regular season as well.

For example, the fact that he's not pitched SIX complete innings in a game, he never did that (entire MILB career) up until his last start.

Ha, reading it back now I think he might have been talking about Clarkin. So I may have been wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:00 PM)
Can we argue that Clarkin is now ahead of Guerrero/Stephens as the next starter in line after Dunning?

1) Kopech

2A) Cease

2B) Hansen (I know some will argue it's not quite fair to jump Cease up so quickly, but...)

3) Dunning

4) Clarkin

5/6) Guerrero or Stephens

Talent wise, Clarkin is arguably ahead of Dunning, but hopefully he can stay healthy. We are in a pretty good position, especially if Rodon comes back strong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:59 PM)
Well, considering most of the board has Stephens going to the bullpen...Clarkin, theoretically, has a bit more value as a LHP and theoretical #4/5 starter.

Now whether he's ahead of Guerrero, I'll let those who follow the minors more closely make that decision in terms of the upsides for each.

At this point luck will play a big factor, health is more important than anything. Clarkin definitely has the higher upside as a back end starter. If all goes well these guys will become bullpen pieces anyway.

I'd love to see a rotation of

Kopech-Gio-Rodon-Lopez-Cease in a few seasons. Sadly I think Rodon will not be here long term.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:59 PM)
Well, considering most of the board has Stephens going to the bullpen...Clarkin, theoretically, has a bit more value as a LHP and theoretical #4/5 starter.

Now whether he's ahead of Guerrero, I'll let those who follow the minors more closely make that decision in terms of the upsides for each.

It's clear who the White Sox think is more valuable between Guerrero and Clarkin since the Sox protected Clarkin before the Rule 5 draft but left Guerrero exposed

Edited by credezcrew24

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 11:59 PM)
I don't think so. Most of the prospects analysts were super high on Cease even when he wasn't performing. I think we were all lower on him than we should have been even if we thought he was going to be good.

I’m talking about Clarkin. Right now, I think one of the Adams, Stephens, or Guerrero trio is far more likely to get a look if a spot opened in our major league rotation. That could change at some point this season but two starts isn’t going to radically move the needle with Clarkin. He needs to prove he can handle more advanced hitters while also remaining durable over the course of a full minor league season.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:18 AM)
Talent wise, Clarkin is arguably ahead of Dunning, but hopefully he can stay healthy. We are in a pretty good position, especially if Rodon comes back strong.

How is Clarkin talent wise ahead of Dunning? I really don’t get where these insanely pro assentments of Clarkin are coming from. He never dominated High A like Dunning did for long stretches last year. The stuff is most definitely worse and the command is at best the same. I get Clarkin is left-handed and a former first round pick, but I’ll take Dane’s talents over his any day of the week and it’s not even close IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 07:53 AM)
How is Clarkin talent wise ahead of Dunning? I really don’t get where these insanely pro assentments of Clarkin are coming from. He never dominated High A like Dunning did for long stretches last year. The stuff is most definitely worse and the command is at best the same. I get Clarkin is left-handed and a former first round pick, but I’ll take Dane’s talents over his any day of the week and it’s not even close IMO.

Coming out, he was definitely more talented. Dude had a Kershaw comp and had damn good stuff. He's not that guy anymore (similar to Giolito in that regard) but he's still a pretty good prospect. Dunning is definitely ahead though now overall, I agree with you there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 06:53 AM)

Clarkin was a projected front line starter during his early evaluation period. He lost a lot of that hype and rightfully so, but that's why I said we'd need a little luck. If he is healthy and his arm is slinging, he can be lethal and is arguably better than D. The debate here is a good one to have, you can never have too much quality pitching in the system.

Edited by SonofaRoache

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
Clarkin was a projected front line starter during his early evaluation period. He lost a lot of that hype and rightfully so, but that's why I said we'd need a little luck. If he is healthy and his arm is slinging, he can be lethal and is arguably better than D. The debate here is a good one to have, you can never have too much quality pitching in the system.

We have plenty of spots in the bullpen if we have too many starters. Would be nice to have a few guys who can go 2-3 innings out of the pen and are actually good.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Blake Rutherford is having a nice early start to the year

Good. I can't see an outfield of Eloy, Robert and Rutherford being anything but excellent. With those 3 patrolling the outfield and an infield of Machado (Burger is a big question mark with injury), Timmy, Moncada and Abreu/Avi. Collins at catcher and free agent (or Davidson/Avi) at DH with the young starting staff of studs plus hopefully 1-2 free agent starters and 4-7 free agent relief acquisitions, at that point a lot of Ws figure to be in our future.

Edited by greg775

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good. I can't see an outfield of Eloy, Robert and Rutherford being anything but excellent. With those 3 patrolling the outfield and an infield of Machado (Burger is a big question mark with injury), Timmy, Moncada and Abreu/Avi. Collins at catcher and free agent (or Davidson/Avi) at DH with the young starting staff of studs plus hopefully 1-2 free agent starters and 4-7 free agent relief acquisitions, at that point a lot of Ws figure to be in our future.

Yessir.  W’s in the future.  No need for anyone to be impatient.  

• 1 month later...