Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

Normally pretty optimistic about deals but the White Sox are giving a good amount of value. I would want more than Rutherford even if he was a good prospect coming out of the draft. He currently has a .733 OPS in A Ball. I would expect the last player is who they are haggling over hopefully Andujar is the guy but I would settle for Wade.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
Should have changed it to green to show sarcasm. He's using 2014 and 2015 picks as comparison, but they were trying to compete then. If he can use data that makes no sense, I will as well

The point was the Cubs were picking from positions that aren't so different from hapless teams like the Sox that were trying to win. That is, the Cubs clearly were not all that dedicated to losing for losing's sake.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm saying they may have squandered fan interest and player development in the service of trying to save the owner money. They were in a rather different position to both Cubs and Sox though because they never really had a big moment where they started trading good veterans to get prospects like Cubs and Sox were able to do to kickstart things.

To be clear, my argument wasn't that you go for it every year, but that the reason rebuilding works has little to do with draft position. It's that you stockpile your system by trading veterans and prioritizing the development of your minor leaguers. You will lose and get good draft picks because of that, but there are real benefits to squeezing out a few more wins with the MLB club when it comes to giving the people who watch the games on TV and in the ballpark something worth seeing. From a development standpoint, I think it helps the players to win whenever they can—I also think some pitchers benefit psychologically from not seeing their leads pissed away by awful bullpens.

I'm of the opinion that the benefits of winning a little bit more are usually better than picking 2th instead of 5th or whatever.

That's a very long winded way of saying you don't understand tanking and the benefits of the highest possible draft pick. That's okay, you aren't alone.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
If it's one more I'd prefer Andujar and he makes more sense since he's part of their 40 man issue.

Would prefer him as well, but if it's true the Yanks are only giving up guys in lower leagues, then he's out of the picture.

Really hoping it's Florial.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
That's a very long winded way of saying you don't understand tanking and the benefits of the highest possible draft pick. That's okay, you aren't alone.

No, I do understand. Look at the Cubs World Series roster and tell me about all the good players they got due to their (not even all that high) draft position. It won't take long because it's pretty much just 1 guy. Their rebuild was successful largely due to the trades, not their draft position. I hope the White Sox pursue it the same way because the draft position ain't worth that much when you know it's going to be a good one either way.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:50 PM)
The way I see it Frazier for Clarkin, D Rob I expected to get a top 50 prospect. Rutherford is a top 40. But Clippard weighs down the offer. Without Kahnle, we would have slightly won the trade.

Let's see if the last name is interesting.

Yea it's a bit disappointing so far. The last player will be interesting though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:50 PM)
The point was the Cubs were picking from positions that aren't so different from hapless teams like the Sox that were trying to win. That is, the Cubs clearly were not all that dedicated to losing for losing's sake.

Where do you get this crap from? Theo all but said the Cubs were going to try to lose and they did. A lot. Maybe read a little more before saying a team that won 61 games in one season was trying to win?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
No, I do understand. Look at the Cubs World Series roster and tell me about all the good players they got due to their (not even all that high) draft position. It won't take long because it's pretty much just 1 guy. Their rebuild was successful largely due to the trades, not their draft position. I hope the White Sox pursue it the same way because the draft position ain't worth that much when you know it's going to be a good one either way.

Bryant, Schwarber, Baez, Almora to name a few

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Where do you get this crap from? Theo all but said the Cubs were going to try to lose and they did. A lot. Maybe read a little more before saying a team that won 61 games in one season was trying to win?

I may side with you on this issue, but Jake reads as much as anyone here.

He's an awesome poster.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:54 PM)
I may side with you on this issue, but Jake reads as much as anyone here.

He's an awesome poster.

That makes his complete lack of understanding of basic team building strategy all the more disappointing.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
I see no reason why the White Sox couldn't just eat that Headley contract for next year to get better prospects. We have no money committed for next year. The Yankees are trying to get under the luxury tax for next year.

Maybe Yankees didn't want to?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:54 PM)
I don't understand why Clippard is such a negative. He isn't owed much money. What's the problem?

No problem with him except the fact he's not another top talent. I think most want one more other top talent back, everyone is ok taking Clippard on.