What would it take - Machado/Harper

he gone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
And I think people need to stop and think about what they are saying when they say "No FA like that is going to want to come to the Sox."

As someone aptly said yesterday, "This is not your Father's White Sox organization."

If enough of these guys pan out, and we've got a really talented young team on the field, I will ask the question:

Why would Bryce Harper NOT want to come to the White Sox?

Bryce Harper would NOT want to come to the White Sox because they will not be the highest offer he receives.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One helluva sales pitch.

Money is there, and I think they will be open to use it, but you reallllly have to sell them on the future of the ballclub to reel one of them in.

Wonder if Obama and Harper ever crossed paths in Washington. Get that man to help recruit him.

Also....Albert Belle happened a billion years ago so there is precedent of Jerry handing out the biggest contract ever. Lol

Edited by scs787

Reinsdorf also signed Jordan for 30 million in 1996, and 33 million in 1997. That is a WHOLE lot of money back then, and was far and away the highest per year contract given in the NBA at the time. He will dish out cash if it is worth it.

The offer is going to be by far the most important variable, if we have the highest offer then I don't see why they wouldn't want to come here. I know the rebuild/Luis Robert acquisition signals that things are different from before, but JR would still need some serious convincing to pony up the needed 400-500 million or whatever it will be.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
You guys are all going a bit insane...I guess there was the Albert Belle Exception, but that was 50% to piss off the other owners when he didn't get his way with a hard salary cap.

Our payroll will be like $40-50 million. Why do you think we wouldn't at least make a run at one of these guys?

Harper is absolutely not going to be an option. He is going to get an insane contract. Put into perspective what the W'sox have historically done ALWAYS. When have they --> EVER

Machado is a much more reasonable target, but still will be very much a long shot. I'd love to get Machado.

With all this being said, I'd certaintly be ok with getting 2-4 good-great guys on this team instead of the generational talents like Harper/Machado and what they'll cost.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
Our payroll will be like $40-50 million. Why do you think we wouldn't at least make a run at one of these guys?

If I assume that a $40-$50 million payroll plus Harper makes the Sox a serious WS contender, then a $40-$50 million payroll without Harper would make the Sox at least a wild card team. It won't. They'll need more payroll to be solid everywhere, depth, relief, etc.

If JR is willing to go to $130, $140, then maybe so. The spent 2/3 of a Harper on group of has-beens last year, so it would be a good investment.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Harper is absolutely not going to be an option. He is going to get an insane contract. Put into perspective what the W'sox have historically done ALWAYS. When have they --> EVER

Not that I necessarily think they will get him, but when have the White Sox ever gone full rebuild like this? When have the White Sox ever spent $50 million on a prospect?

There is no precedent for what they're doing, so using precedent for their future decisions is not realistic either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Not that I necessarily think they will get him, but when have the White Sox ever gone full rebuild like this? When have the White Sox ever spent $50 million on a prospect?

There is no precedent for what they're doing, so using precedent for their future decisions is not realistic either.

I disagree. It's easy enough doing what is obvious ... trading away players for prospects. (This also saves them some $$$).

The w'sox have literally never spent anything close to the relative amount that Harper or Machado is going to get. It's unheard of in the franchise.

Just because they are doing something shocking like rebuilding fully, doesn't mean the owners/GM will pony up money for the top dog in baseball. I don't have any statistics with me, but history tells me that the white sox just won't buy big time free agents.

As for my personal feelings, while Harper is amazing, I think the money is better spent on filling multiple holes and depth. I wonder what the differences in $$$ will be between McCutchen, J. Donaldson, Z. Britton vs. Bryce Harper. Personally, I'd rather have the first 3. Not sure if that's a fair comparison.

By the way, Free agents: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
What about instead of Machado, we sign Nolan Arenado?

Sure, if Arenado was a free agent that year, but he's not. Machado will be 25 at that time, meaning he'll fit ideally with the core of the team, and he'll fill a position that is likely to still be a need.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
Sure, if Arenado was a free agent that year, but he's not. Machado will be 25 at that time, meaning he'll fit ideally with the core of the team, and he'll fill a position that is likely to still be a need.

Sorry...just don't think any one player is worth that kind of quiche it'll take to get him on this team and the way it's being built. Tips the pay scale to one player which IMO...not a good thing in terms of overall team concept. But that's just me.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:47 PM)
I disagree. It's easy enough doing what is obvious ... trading away players for prospects. (This also saves them some $$$).

The w'sox have literally never spent anything close to the relative amount that Harper or Machado is going to get. It's unheard of in the franchise.

Just because they are doing something shocking like rebuilding fully, doesn't mean the owners/GM will pony up money for the top dog in baseball. I don't have any statistics with me, but history tells me that the white sox just won't buy big time free agents.

As for my personal feelings, while Harper is amazing, I think the money is better spent on filling multiple holes and depth. I wonder what the differences in $$$ will be between McCutchen, J. Donaldson, Z. Britton vs. Bryce Harper. Personally, I'd rather have the first 3. Not sure if that's a fair comparison.

By the way, Free agents: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

EVERYTHING the Sox are doing right now is unheard of for this franchise.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)

Arenado is a free agent the following year, and will be 29. I'd be more than happy to make a run at him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
What about instead of Machado, we sign Nolan Arenado?

If we can't land Machado or he falls off a cliff like Andruw Jones, Arenado will be 29 if the sox sign him going into the '19 season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)

Harper is not signing a one or two year deal, it is gonna be more like 10 years. Just because the 2019 payroll will be low, doesn't mean you can easily load up for the next 10 years on one player like that, especially when your younger players will be getting raises.

I'm not saying the Sox won't make a big FA splash, but there are so many other teams with deeper pockets, I just can't see them being the team to sign the largest FA contract in baseball history.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 04:17 AM)
Harper is not signing a one or two year deal, it is gonna be more like 10 years. Just because the 2019 payroll will be low, doesn't mean you can easily load up for the next 10 years on one player like that, especially when your younger players will be getting raises.

I'm not saying the Sox won't make a big FA splash, but there are so many other teams with deeper pockets, I just can't see them being the team to sign the largest FA contract in baseball history.

Are you advocating actual 10 year planning? No baseball team would ever do that! :)

Yeah, I get it...the Sox payroll will be low at the time of the signing, which would allow them to be competitive on cost at that time, but perhaps not for the back half of the deal or so.

You may very well be right. It may be cost-prohibitive towards the back end, especially considering that will likely coincide with a decline in performance by the player as well.

Perhaps you could front load it to make it more palatable.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:11 PM)
If we can't land Machado or he falls off a cliff like Andruw Jones, Arenado will be 29 if the sox sign him going into the '19 season.

I take it you are implying he will be too old at that point?

I think his game will age well. I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like 7/225 for Arenado, assuming he continues to be the type of player he looks like he is today (at the time of the signing).

Edited by iamshack