7/19 Game Thread: Dodgers @ Sox

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:46 AM)
Rodon, if he figures it out, will take a while. He will be in the 26-28 age range if he ever does. He might make a journeyman career with pitching coaches thinking they can get the most out of his stuff if he never figures it out. Unfortunately, if he figures it out, it will be too late for the Sox. He will have either been traded or it will be year or two of good pitching before he walks.

I'm not so sure he's going to be a pitcher that ages well

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
Nope but he, along with Anderson, are the guys you hope to see progress as the year goes on

Yeah, I am going to try and be patient with him...definitely something to be alarmed about if this continues for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
Rodon, if he figures it out, will take a while. He will be in the 26-28 age range if he ever does. He might make a journeyman career with pitching coaches thinking they can get the most out of his stuff if he never figures it out. Unfortunately, if he figures it out, it will be too late for the Sox. He will have either been traded or it will be year or two of good pitching before he walks.

If only we could have taken our time developing him, but we had to save that 2015 season.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:49 AM)
Yep, Rodon sucks. Its like hes making his 4th start or something

Next they will try and blame an injury for his lack of sharpness and claim he was building up strength and consistency. . Or something crazy like that

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:51 PM)
I'm not so sure he's going to be a pitcher that ages well

May I ask why? I could see him as a young Max Scherzer (glass half full) or a journeyman back of rotation guy(glass half empty) or he could be a reliever. Scherzer had horrible command/some injury problems early in his career, which led to Arizona trading him to Detroit.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:54 AM)
May I ask why? I could see him as a young Max Scherzer (glass half full) or a journeyman back of rotation guy(glass half empty) or he could be a reliever.

Just not sure if he can pull off the finesse style when he loses a few mph.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)

He's 24, coming off an injury that's held him out most of the year, and pitching against the best team in baseball. I'm pretty sure this one rough outing doesn't doom him to failure.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:34 AM)
Nope but he, along with Anderson, are the guys you hope to see progress as the year goes on

Anderson and Rodon will recover. Too much talent. Sometimes things just don't go the way we would like. I think it is a learning experience for the youngsters

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
Anderson and Rodon will recover. Too much talent. Sometimes things just don't go the way we would like. I think it is a learning experience for the youngsters

Exactly. They learn and take their developmental lumps now, the team gets a higher draft pick, they're good and accompanied by more talent in competitive years. It's win/win.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:57 AM)
He's 24, coming off an injury that's held him out most of the year, and pitching against the best team in baseball. I'm pretty sure this one rough outing doesn't doom him to failure.

I am betting even Sandy Koufax wasn't perfect his first couple years

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
Exactly. They learn and take their developmental lumps now, the team gets a higher draft pick, they're good and accompanied by more talent in competitive years. It's win/win.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
I am betting even Sandy Koufax wasn't perfect his first couple years

I wasn't arguing that he wasn't going to figure it out, just that it will be too late to be useful to the Sox when he does. I agree that he has too much talent to never figure it out; just not sure that it will happen here.

Edited by Jack Parkman