Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
I'm not trying to argue, just thinking out loud. I wonder if incessant losing affects some young guys negatively, like perhaps TA or even a Moncada. Let's say you are a bulldog so to speak and really love competing and getting hits for the greater good of the ol team. The fact your at bats in theory in August and September mean nothing ... could that affect 'some' prospects negatively. In other words, s*** try to hit it out every time since really each at bat means nothing.

Probably doesn't matter at all. Each hitter probably wants to get a hit just cause he wants to personally succeed, but when a team is this bad I know it'd be easy to just go take ones hacks rather than maybe work the count, etc., like u might do if the games meant something.

Don't take this as a negative post. It's just a thought that occurred to me in reading your post. You were making a good point in that you can see what a player is made of during a losing season. I was just wondering if my scenario could occur as well. A hitter saying, "s*** i might get lucky and hit 3-4 homers tonight if i go up there hacking.' Rather than trying to do the little things like whack a single with a two strike count and nobody on base trying to get a rally going when down 8-0.

It may, it may not. But I won't worry too much about it. Look at teams like Astros, Cubs, Diamondbacks, and Rockies. They have endured a bunch of losing seasons before enjoying winning seasons with the same core group of players. As long as the young players are getting developmental experience, and giving their best effort and competing every game, we should be satisfied.

I think we all know you like to win every game, even in a meaningless season. But if losing now means we can win more later on when it matters more, I pick losing now 10/10.