Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Why is it so hard for some here to understand greg's argument? He is rating the rebuild process entirely by the on field results of the White Sox. It's extremely short sighted and easy to disagree with (as I do), but it's not that hard to understand that he's rating the rebuild a 2 right now because the 2016 White Sox are 45-70.

Everyone "understands" greg's argument. Everyone is just saying it makes no sense.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
Where's the money going? Is it not lining the chairman's pockets? The payroll will be so low that they better spend spend spend a few years from now, or they better have some fantastic giveaways and events at the park next year

Please list some names of guys they should sign this off-season* and why. I'm interested to see where this thought process actually ends up in the real world.

*realistic options, meaning "I think they should sign Bryce Harper to a 2 year/20m deal" is not an option.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Why is it so hard for some here to understand greg's argument? He is rating the rebuild process entirely by the on field results of the White Sox. It's extremely short sighted and easy to disagree with (as I do), but it's not that hard to understand that he's rating the rebuild a 2 right now because the 2016 White Sox are 45-70.

Because while he grades it a 2, he also is 100% certain that the prospects acquired thus far will result in what would be one of the greatest teams in the history of baseball in 2-3 years. Those things cannot be combined together

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
Because while he grades it a 2, he also is 100% certain that the prospects acquired thus far will result in what would be one of the greatest teams in the history of baseball in 2-3 years. Those things cannot be combined together

If you're only grading on 2016 results of the major league team, a 2 is reasonable, even with all the talent that is not yet at the ML level. Now, it's completely fair to say that method of grading is shortsighted and asinine, but it's also easy enough to understand.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
If you're only grading on 2016 results of the major league team, a 2 is reasonable, even with all the talent that is not yet at the ML level. Now, it's completely fair to say that method of grading is shortsighted and asinine, but it's also easy enough to understand.

Another 2 things I would not put together :lol:

If I were 100% certain the Sox were going to have 11 All-Stars on the 2020 team built from 4 trades + an INTL signing I'd be buying season tickets and rank the rebuild as a 10

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
I mean you're the one who thinks Hahn has put together the best team of all time for 2020 already.

I do believe what I said about those prospects. I think on paper there are a bunch of them that are can't miss. Really do. Based on the eye test a bit, sure, but Eloy and Moncada are pretty impressive specimens and the pitchers' fastball clockings do not lie. Some of them are monsters.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
I have encountered a few trolls on this site, posters who are spoiling for a fight, belittling, hurling insults, playing the one-upmanship game, etc. Greg isn't a troll and neither am I. I just come here to check on White Sox news, opinions and to occasionally share my own opinion or ask a question. Unfortunately trolling is a sport, maybe even a lifestyle for a few sorry basturds that have nothing better to do with their time.

Thank you brother. I may be dense but I am not a troll.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
Also Greg: "Why did they sign pathetic Adam Dunn and John Danks to such a big contract? They should DFA them right now."

Whoa. This board KNOWS I worshiped Danks. I supported him til the end. Ask the mods. I was so behind Danks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Greg isnt a troll, despite what many people here think of him. He chooses to make uninformed statements frequently and ignore counterarguments and facts presented to him. He calls people who use statistics in arguments "statniks" because he doesnt recognize the full application of these stats within arguments. Its just who he is. Recently he did toe the line of troll and recognized it and stepped back. Kudos for that.

Pretty much everyone on this site is a true white sox fan.

You are a great man. These statements are probably true.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)

Exactly. Finally someone understands my position.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
I find greg to be the most entertaining poster on this board. If he is a troll he is really bad.....err good at it?

I think he should have his own forum.

Thanks. I am a Sox and Brother Rice fan, that is for sure.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)

Yes they can. One of the guys said he understood my position. I think it was Rowand. Ask him to explain!

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)

That's what I'm saying.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)

If I were 100% certain the Sox were going to have 11 All-Stars on the 2020 team built from 4 trades + an INTL signing I'd be buying season tickets and rank the rebuild as a 10

No, cause I do firmly believe my grade will be changing in coming years cause I believe he's assembled some studs. But the grade is an ongoing thing as SOME on there understand and some don't. I am not a front office shill, folks. I judge them just as I am judged. GO SOX! Thank u for the kind posts.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)

Understand =/= agree with. I wholeheartedly disagree with greg's viewpoint, and, as I stated, think his grading is shortsighted and asinine. That said, the concept of his argument is not a difficult one to grasp.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
Understand =/= agree with. I wholeheartedly disagree with greg's viewpoint, and, as I stated, think his grading is shortsighted and asinine. That said, the concept of his argument is not a difficult one to grasp.

Thanks. I'll take it when somebody understands the concept. At least it proves I'm not trolling.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
Unconfirmed rumor it is Tony Kemp

Thanks.

A brief look at Kemp has me saying "meh," but I wasn't expecting much for Clippard.

Who will handle the closer role now that he's gone? I would think Petricka based on his experience, but he's been ass this year.

Minaya? Beck? Pelfrey? Closer by committee?

$1 million is nothing in baseball terms. While nothing special, he was the only guy on the roster who showed any competence in the pen - a pen that has to support a starting staff that has trouble finishing the 6th inning.

So why give him up for a pittance? Do they have to have THE number 1 pick to make a good pick?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
$1 million is nothing in baseball terms. While nothing special, he was the only guy on the roster who showed any competence in the pen - a pen that has to support a starting staff that has trouble finishing the 6th inning.

So why give him up for a pittance? Do they have to have THE number 1 pick to make a good pick?

Dude. This is the epitome of hero worship.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)

You find the weirdest s*** to complain about.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)

:bang