Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
My bad if you just simply used the wrong word. I got the impression you were under some illusion that the White Sox might actually try to compete next year.

No this time I simply meant "since" it's a rebuilding year it'd be neat to have Kemp lead off all year.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
So is the cash all we are getting back or is there still a ptbnl? its not very clear if that is the return or just part of the return.

I don't think anyone know for sure, but probably safe to assume Astros took on $1M of the ~1.2M remains on Clippards deal and that's it. No PTBNL.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Pitching well through 4 games with the Astros so far. Wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1-year deal (maybe 2 years since he's not that old yet and maybe could do better than one) as we need bullpen arms anyway.

I just saw that...given up only 1 hit in 4 appearances...

but for the love of God...NO THANKS!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Pitching well through 4 games with the Astros so far. Wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1-year deal (maybe 2 years since he's not that old yet and maybe could do better than one) as we need bullpen arms anyway.

It seems like exactly the kind of free agent deal the White Sox would look for. A cheap veteran roster spot who must have enjoyed working with Coop that is flippable.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
It seems like exactly the kind of free agent deal the White Sox would look for. A cheap veteran roster spot who must have enjoyed working with Coop that is flippable.

Hoping the 'magic' of Coop fixing Kahnle/Swarzak/Clippard entices more guys to sign 1 year deals this off-season (ignore Holland & Shields)

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
I just saw that...given up only 1 hit in 4 appearances...

but for the love of God...NO THANKS!

Well, in all fairness, for a team that won't be good next year, and with a look at the current arms, only the currently injured Jones is really the only trustworthy one as far as results and experience goes. This pen will be the death of the team next year, right there with the defense, in my opinion. Why not give him a try. Crazier things have happened.

QUOTE (soxtalker999 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
I wonder how much leverage the Sox had in the negotiations. Did we ever learn whether Houston claimed him, or if he passed through waivers unclaimed? If the latter, the Sox could negotiate with any team. If the former, the Sox could only negotiate with Houston, and the only alternative to making a deal with them was to keep Clippard for the rest of the season.

Also, I imagine that Clippard is far happier to be pitching for Houston than the Sox for the rest of this season. He has a chance at a championship. I would think that would be a good message to send to players that we might sign in the off-season -- if you sign with the Sox, they'll work with you and give you a chance to latch onto a contender in the middle of the season.

i think it was implied he cleared waivers. especially considering that the sox ate some money. if he were claimed, the sox would get 100% salary relief plus 50k in transfer fees.