Yolmer Sanchez

Jose Abreu

Now that Moncada is the everyday second baseman, the Sox have a surplus of utility infielders. Sanchez, Saladino, Davidson, Hanson, and Leury are all capable of stepping into the 3B/DH roles, and one would have to assume that Davidson is taking up one of those spots every day. With teams like Tampa Bay and Washington potentially needing infield help, I can definitely see Yolmer being moved at the deadline since he won't find much playing time here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I think Angels this is a move they could pull off. Modest cost but they just released Espinoza and Sanchez provides every bit as much defensive value.

But I'd like to keep Yolmer.

Beat me to it! If Yolmer doesn't end up on the Angels that franchise is clueless. Gives them a young, solid 2B with team control. They've got literally nobody in the pipeline otherwise.

That system is garbage but they don't seem inclined to rebuild anytime soon and this would be a play for now and the future.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
What would you really expect in return for Yolmer? At best I think it would be a prayer on a "Coop'll fix 'em" type relief pitcher. Can't see it being anything significant in return. Sucks Luery got hurt for so long. He would have been the guy to cash in on in my opinion.

I see no point in moving Yolmer if you don't get a couple pretty interesting lower level guys.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
What would you really expect in return for Yolmer? At best I think it would be a prayer on a "Coop'll fix 'em" type relief pitcher. Can't see it being anything significant in return. Sucks Luery got hurt for so long. He would have been the guy to cash in on in my opinion.

I think trading Yolmer would be a great way of getting a couple of younger arms to replenish our bullpen (especially since Burdi went down), like other posters have mentioned the Angels would be a great fit for Yolmer to pair with Simmons up the middle. Their system is pretty weak but they do have some interesting names that could help us in the short and long term, Eduardo Paredes is a 22 year-old right hander that has put up some really strong numbers in the minors and is currently wasting away in the Angels bullpen. I think he could step in right away and eat up some of the innings that Swarzak and Beck have been eating up, plus some scouting reports on him indicate that he could eventually close down the line. In addition to Paredes,

I'd also try to get another piece or two, maybe Conor Lillis-White who has been an impressive lefty so far out of the pen in their minors or maybe we can swing Jose Suarez an undersized, crafty 19 year old lefty with some projectability.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
I vote Yolmer as the utility infielder moving forward. Saladino's back concerns me.

Does he have the arm strength for 3B and even plays in the hole at SS? I know people have been concerned about that and I'm asking because I have no idea personally.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
Does he have the arm strength for 3B and even plays in the hole at SS? I know people have been concerned about that and I'm asking because I have no idea personally.

As a full time guy, probably not, but as a guy who fills in here and there, I can't imagine it would be a huge issue.

Look, I really like Yolmer too. But his trade value isn't going to improve if he's our backup middle infield guy. What makes him hard to give up - youth and control - also give him value right now over rental players.

His peak value is a glove-first 2B with some bat value. Not as a part time or utility piece. Yes, he's got some position versatility. But his bat isn't going to play up well at 3B or even a corner OF spot.

Edit: he's especially redundant when we've got a potential super-utility guy in Leury, who can play basically anywhere.

Now, if you're worried about Tim and want to hold onto Yolmer in case he's the better long-term option? Now I see your argument.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Look, I really like Yolmer too. But his trade value isn't going to improve if he's our backup middle infield guy. What makes him hard to give up - youth and control - also give him value right now over rental players.

His peak value is a glove-first 2B with some bat value. Not as a part time or utility piece. Yes, he's got some position versatility. But his bat isn't going to play up well at 3B or even a corner OF spot.

Edit: he's especially redundant when we've got a potential super-utility guy in Leury, who can play basically anywhere.

Now, if you're worried about Tim and want to hold onto Yolmer in case he's the better long-term option? Now I see your argument.

I am completely ok trading him if the offer is there.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)

But Leury is currently the starting CF when healthy.

If the Sox have too many good players, that's a good problem to have. I don't think you need to force anyone out of the lineup at this point. If anything, Sanchez is your backup IF and you turn Saladino into the super sub. He's struggled this year, but I've always thought there was a little bit of Zobrist's game to Saladino, though I won't say Saladino will do that exactly. There is absolutely no way I'm forcing anyone out right now.

If there's a good enough offer, it's fine, move them. But I don't foresee being a backup affecting Sanchez's value. If anything, he's value is barely positive right now even with a ton of service time. If he's going to build value, then it means he is hitting really well, and if he's hitting really well, Renteria is not going to keep him out of the lineup.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm not a huge fan of trading a guy like this who you have for 5 more seasons at little cost. You'd be extremely lucky to get someone as useful as he is in return.

Agree

Plus, this loading of prospects wasn't exactly big on defense and he can play defense.

I hope they keep him and play him. Heck play him some at SS...can anyone be confident that the Sox set at that position? Don't bury him.

Edited by GreenSox

You get to a point where someone is not going to play and their value is going to wilt on the vine. With Moncada, Anderson, and Davidson playing every day, there are limited at bats for both Yolmer and Tyler, so one really needs to either get sent out or moved down so they are playing everyday. I wish they would have kept Moncada down, he wasn't destroying AAA and the team doesn't really need him, no reason to keep that service time clock rolling. Let Yolmer play every day and build value and trade him over the winter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
You get to a point where someone is not going to play and their value is going to wilt on the vine. With Moncada, Anderson, and Davidson playing every day, there are limited at bats for both Yolmer and Tyler, so one really needs to either get sent out or moved down so they are playing everyday. I wish they would have kept Moncada down, he wasn't destroying AAA and the team doesn't really need him, no reason to keep that service time clock rolling. Let Yolmer play every day and build value and trade him over the winter.

Although I agree Moncada should have stayed down, I have no problem with both Saladino and Sanchez splitting time in the lineup, including 3b and the DH spot and some time backing up SS and 2b (and probably something else when the LF spot opens up in a few weeks). Yolmer currently has a head start but I haven't given up on Saladino yet, let's see what they do over the next 2 months.

Right now, your backups at 1B are probably Saladino and Davidson. Your backups in the OF are probably Saladino and Hanson. Your backups at 2B, SS, and 3B are Saladino and Sanchez. There are enough ABs spread throughout the field that Saladino gets his AB's throughout the field and everyone else gets enough playing time otherwise.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
Right now, your backups at 1B are probably Saladino and Davidson. Your backups in the OF are probably Saladino and Hanson. Your backups at 2B, SS, and 3B are Saladino and Sanchez. There are enough ABs spread throughout the field that Saladino gets his AB's throughout the field and everyone else gets enough playing time otherwise.

Yep, and that open DH spot gets someone more at bats or rests a regular every day.

Well, this year, Saladino has a .574 OPS and Yomer has a .716 OPS.

Yolmer is now 17th in 1B WAR (was 15th) ahead of LeMahieu and Odor, among others.

I was a Saladino guy, and this bears watching, but Yolmer has some value and has had a solid year - his first with real playing time. And no, don't trade him for a relief pitching prospect.

Edited by GreenSox