SEA trades Tyler O'Neill to STL for Marco Gonzales

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
If this is all it took for such a prospect, we could've given them David Holmberg or Swarzak or something. An unbelievably lopsided trade.

Yeah, Holmberg might be a reasonable comparison.

i mean... oneil isnt the coolest thing on the planet but hes a legit prospect... we couldnt give gonzo + swarzek + whatever for that? marco gonzalez is a 4/5 sp at best... this screams seattle not talking to others about this and settling for the first thing that came their way

Ok, I stand a touch corrected. Gonzales has been good since his injury and this seems like a decent trade. From SEA prospective, they are getting a former first round pick who after his injury is doing really well. From ST Louis they get a top prospect or a trade chip.

Totally feels like a flip is coming. They've got Bader and like 5 former top prospects plus Fowler already in that OF. Could just be a buy-low on O'Neill taking advantage of the Mariners desperation, but I don't see them sitting on all those guys.

Guessing a cost-controlled bat because the starting staff is loaded.

After reading Longenhagen's writeup on O'Neill this doesn't seem as bad, I don't think anyone else but MLB.com considers him anything close to a top 30 prospect, and I think with this trade it's clear the Mariners don't either.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Totally feels like a flip is coming. They've got Bader and like 5 former top prospects plus Fowler already in that OF. Could just be a buy-low on O'Neill taking advantage of the Mariners desperation, but I don't see them sitting on all those guys.

Guessing a cost-controlled bat because the starting staff is loaded.

But regardless of how much the Mariners may have soured on O'Neill, it's still puzzling that they couldn't have gotten a better return, especially from us.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
But regardless of how much the Mariners may have soured on O'Neill, it's still puzzling that they couldn't have gotten a better return, especially from us.

Definitely agree on that. Though people are probably a bit too low on Gonzalez.

Either way, feels unnecessary for the Cards unless they're making another move. 40 man crunch will be a big problem otherwise.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
What's the reason Seattle would have soured on Tyler? His numbers seem decent enough every stop.

This is the million dollar question--sometimes there is a lot more to the story that moves a team to trade someone in what seems to be a lopsided deal. Sometimes personal reasons come in to play--sometimes it's a maturity thing, wants to be closer to home--misses mommy--there's a world of human element that factors into a players' future with the team that gets blocked by the numbers.

Tyler had a 27% K-rate in AAA and averaged higher for most of his minor league career. My trading philosophy on prospects with high K-rates is get what you can when you can get it, there's a overwhelmingly high chance this kid will never be a productive major league hitter.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
After reading Longenhagen's writeup on O'Neill this doesn't seem as bad, I don't think anyone else but MLB.com considers him anything close to a top 30 prospect, and I think with this trade it's clear the Mariners don't either.

Plus pitching, especially LHP is always more valuable then hitting. One for one it's not a bad trade. O'neill's stats really don't bear any superstar potential.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Tyler had a 27% K-rate in AAA and averaged higher for most of his minor league career. My trading philosophy on prospects with high K-rates is get what you can when you can get it, there's a overwhelmingly high chance this kid will never be a productive major league hitter.

How do you feel about Moncada then ?