When is rock bottom of the rebuild: 2017 or 2018?

Dominikk85

Personally I think this year will be the worst just because next year you're going to see the fruits of the rebuild start to blossom in both the upper minors and MLB roster. This year, other than probably Moncada and Lopez late this summer, and some fun from Leury and Yolmer and Kahnle earlier, there really hasn't been much to cheer for.

But 100% honest, I thought I'd be over following this team by now and instead I'm finding myself paying more attention than any of the previous last summers, even when the Sox were still hanging around .500. It's just really exciting what Hahn has been able to do. If the Sox hadn't managed to load up on all this young talent it would be different, but man, they are loaded. We'll see how it pans out in the next 3-5 years.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Personally I think this year will be the worst just because next year you're going to see the fruits of the rebuild start to blossom in both the upper minors and MLB roster. This year, other than probably Moncada and Lopez late this summer, and some fun from Leury and Yolmer and Kahnle earlier, there really hasn't been much to cheer for.

Cheer for good performances in the minors.

Kopech was great last night going 8 scoreless innings with 0 walks. Burger was 5-5 with a triple and two doubles. Jimenez was 3-5 with 2 doubles and a homer. Collins homered.

Imagine how bad this rebuild would be if our farm system were not where it is right now? Starting from scratch would be absolutely awful.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
Cheer for good performances in the minors.

Kopech was great last night going 8 scoreless innings with 0 walks. Burger was 5-5 with a triple and two doubles. Jimenez was 3-5 with 2 doubles and a homer. Collins homered.

Imagine how bad this rebuild would be if our farm system were not where it is right now? Starting from scratch would be absolutely awful.

Yea for sure was actually adding that to my post while you were replying!

I'm hoping this year. I don't expect them to be world beaters out of the gate, but I am hoping Moncada, Lopez, and Giolito aren't terrible, and that Anderson and Rodon have good years in 2018. If they all have good years, they should be better than this years team, or at the very least better than these next few months. These next 2 months are rock bottom IMO.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
I know this is being cute, and was already mentioned in the thread, but 2016 was probably rock bottom. It was fun for the first month, but when the wheels came off like we all assumed, it got ugly FAST and really there was no hope in sight with a below average farm system.

Completely agree. Seemed we were in the same position as the Bulls. 0 legit prospects, an owner who didn't want us rebuilding for years because of his age, etc.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
Completely agree. Seemed we were in the same position as the Bulls. 0 legit prospects, an owner who didn't want us rebuilding for years because of his age, etc.

When Rick made his mired in mediocrity speech, we knew we were probably gonna and even at the deadline we were open for selling. So we were looking forward to selling off assets and getting good returns. Now we have all of the goods and our team is so bad. Now we have to wait and it sucks

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
I think 2018 there will be more losses than this year. Having moncada and giolito won't out weigh having no bullpen and no real front line starter.

Well, hopefully Rodon, but who knows.